Forum

Lets talk about warmfront

Created 25th April 2011 @ 12:27

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 8 Next »

Martn

For fucks sake, it’s week 4 already, warmfront is in the past.

Danzeru

Royal`
MAD

Quoted from Martn

Hence why providing a review is wise. Hindsight and retrospect is useful.

Skyride

DUCS

Really nice well thought out post. Admittedly i haven’t really played the map though; but you seem to have some good points.

Danzeru mentioned snakewater, when we added it to the pixel pickup map pool, people seemed to actually quite like it, so its definitely worth looking at. I should note i’ll happily add any beta stage maps to the pixel pickup map pool, but i can’t make people play it.

Last edited by Skyride,

dauk

Quoted from Martn

I don’t want to see same version of it in upcoming seasons.

Also on the comment that majority of people didin’t liked gullywash:

Arnold is putting so much effort in his maps, I mean he even spectates games when bazilion is played in pixel pug. Also the map was updated more than once and public opinion and testing (l ol portal) was the reason.

flushy

P.O.P

Quoted from Skyride

Really nice well thought out post. Admittedly i haven’t really played the map though; but you seem to have some good points.

Danzeru mentioned snakewater, when we added it to the pixel pickup map pool, people seemed to actually quite like it, so its definitely worth looking at. I should i’ll happily add any beta stage maps to the pixel pickup map pool, but i can’t make people play it.

unbelievably surprised u didnt mention bazillion which, certainly when i was still playing pixelpugs before i got banned by retards, was so much more popular than snakewater dare i say on par with badlands

Crasp

(Legend)
BACΩN |
бекон

I quite like warmfront. Obviously it isn’t perfect, and you’ve outlined some really good points on which it could be improved. Hopefully the maker can look at all of this testing and feedback we’re providing, and react to it.

It might seem unfortunate, but we can’t change the map pool halfway through the season, so anything you suggest will have to wait until next season. It’s a slow change, rather than no change at all.

As for the map pool, I’m not sure but I think the only really concrete requirement is that we have an odd number of maps (to accommodate map elimination). We could suggest every map in existence and they’d all receive at least some resistance, so hopefully you can understand how easy it can be for us to make a seemingly wrong pick for the pool.

Ultimately, we should look at ways of improving communication between users and admins. Any question we ask right now will have “free beavern” and “esl > etf2l” as 2 of the top 5 answers. Changing that would be a nice start. Of course we need to ask the right questions as well, so hopefully post-S9 we will work on that. This post has become far bigger than I intended.

As for the turbine settings, personally I haven’t seen enough matches using it properly to determine how good it is. (Hint, ETF2L settings are NOT bo3 timelimit 10!)

:D

ashkan

Quoted from flushy

[…]

unbelievably surprised u didnt mention bazillion which, certainly when i was still playing pixelpugs before i got banned by retards, was so much more popular than snakewater dare i say on par with badlands

I’m assuming you mean that people played it a lot, not necessarily that they liked it? Because in that case, I’m guessing people mainly played it because it was added to the ETF2L map pool, which doesn’t say much about what people think about the map. I don’t know what the recent stats are though.

Quoted from ashkan

[…]

I’m assuming you mean that people played it a lot, not necessarily that they liked it? Because in that case, I’m guessing people mainly played it because it was added to the ETF2L map pool, which doesn’t say much about what people think about the map. I don’t know what the recent stats are though.

It’s still third most played: http://pickup.pixelgaming.eu/

flushy

P.O.P

Quoted from ashkan

[…]

ppl dont generally play certain maps in pugs because they want to practice the map. i just remember at one time badlands and bazillion had the same number of plays.

Hope and belive we have seen the last of warmfront after this season.

Tyranno

sf.
sf.

Warmfront is fine, there’s been worse maps in the pool in the past and less complaints about them.

Sketch

MM

i personally like warmfront. people are just not very imaginative with their play. for example if demo rolls out left grabs healthpack, can then instantly jump enemy medic or jump onto house.

having to watch for snipers at super long distance is a new and interesting element. its not as if it actually takes a lot of effort not to get caught out by this. so i dont find it a problem.

mid can be a lot more tactical than most people make it. 2 snipers can be very effective. as can a pyro. or even spy. just something that you wont see on other maps.

last could have one open air entrance and a height advantage push spot like on gran. and a little more height added around the point but other than that i think its perfectly fine to defend and attack…. people dont complain about gran and if anything that is actually harder, we just have decent tactics for it.

fps is shit though. and lots of graphical glitches.

Enef

fest
#wubafan

The only issue i had with warmfront was the clipping issues. Getting caught on bits of scenery and dying because of it isn’t acceptable. It’s dumb. If it looks like i can walk up a ramp don’t let me get caught on a tiny invisible ledge sticking out of it.

dauk

Quoted from Sketch

i personally like warmfront. people are just not very imaginative with their play. for example if demo rolls out left grabs healthpack, can then instantly jump enemy medic or jump onto house.

having to watch for snipers at super long distance is a new and interesting element. its not as if it actually takes a lot of effort not to get caught out by this. so i dont find it a problem.

mid can be a lot more tactical than most people make it. 2 snipers can be very effective. as can a pyro. or even spy. just something that you wont see on other maps.

last could have one open air entrance and a height advantage push spot like on gran. and a little more height added around the point but other than that i think its perfectly fine to defend and attack…. people dont complain about gran and if anything that is actually harder, we just have decent tactics for it.

fps is shit though. and lots of graphical glitches.

Sorry I can not see how hiding is a “very interesting element”. And maybe you’re not aware, but in top divisions snipers are a bit of a aces. I mean if you’ll just pop up from cornet to look whats happening then you will be mostly headshoted. Just look at it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HwBvOzj1EU

About demoman jumping on medic, demo that goes left has atleast on sticky in his face from demo taht on ramp, so jumping to him would be pointless at he would be spoted and low on HP. Also theres no real palce to jump and you will just die.

Point about pyro just proves that this map is not build for 6×6.

Tyranno

sf.
sf.

Wait, you seriously think “If a map allows for other classes besides my 6v6 cookiecutter thinking to be used effectively it’s a shit map for 6×6”?!

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 8 Next »