Forum

ETF2L: The problem

Created 6th March 2011 @ 14:50

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 ... 31 Next »

Skyride

DUCS

I’m actually just going to post what I said to someone on IRC earlier. It pretty much sums up my view on this whole argument.

<skyride> the problem is that people are presenting this whole thing as a logical debate with empirical evidence
<skyride> there is no empirical evidence or absolute truths though
<skyride> theres just theorys on what works best based on experience
<skyride> suffice to say, the people with better experience are going to know better

Last edited by Skyride,

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from Skyride

I’m actually just going to post what I said to someone on IRC earlier. It pretty much sums up my view on this whole argument.

[…]

I agree with this, my intrest in this whole arguement doesn’t lie with either side of it. I have my own preferences with unlocks, what I am intrested in is knowing where ETF2L wants to go.

I’ve seen this discussion go on since I joined this league (and it was probably discussed before I joined aswell). I think it is in the best intrest of players to find a ruleset that is visibly backed by the majority, because this constant debate about vanilla vs cinnamon is splitting the community more than a seperate ruleset or teams leaving for different leagues would. It takes time away from admins because they have to get involved in the debate to lay out the point of view from the ETF2L staff. Mean while, shit hasn’t changed since I joined this league. I’m still seeing the same arguements over and over again without any hint of progress.

We need to stop debating and focus on finding a solution, the debating is going nowhere and if we keep this up we’ll have the same discussion at the end of S9 and the start of S10 etc etc etc. This is not in the best intrest of the league.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from pykow

koeitje got an amazing poll, But some maps in the top 10, doesn’t get in this season and that’s sad. tbh

Some maps of the top 10 did not get into the map pool because a 10 map mappool would obvioulsy be too much.
The top 5 maps are in the mappool, by the way. Obscure was on #7 but we received much beating for leaving it in the mappool.
The only maps that have not been in the top 10 are bazillion (most likely because only few people have even played it + played an older version that was broken) and warmfront (which was not in the poll, coldfront being on #13).
So please stop saying that we did not listen to the community regarding the maps. That is simply not true.

rtan

-9w-

you may have received complaints about obscure because you put the new version that isn’t even complete yet in. The one in the poll that came number 7 was the ‘old’ obscure.

xzr

Quoted from AcidReniX

At least by having a cinnamon ruleset, there is still the option of the gentlemen’s agreement for team pairings that only want to play vanilla. Since (apparently) most of the prem teams want vanilla, this would mean they play say… 8 out of 10 games without unlocks anyway… and then 2 games where they can use some very insignificant unlocks (omgsh flaregun and equaliser means a completely different game!!!11oenone).

So 8 out of 10 games would be vanilla. Thus vanilla being the favored ruleset? Why not force vanilla then and let cinnamon teams play cinnamon against each other?

Dear Sir, your logic is flawed.

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

Quoted from xzr

[…]

So 8 out of 10 games would be vanilla. Thus vanilla being the favored ruleset? Why not force vanilla then and let cinnamon teams play cinnamon against each other?

Dear Sir, your logic is flawed.

Don’t both ways end in the same thing though

Spike Himself

TC

Match page -> checkboxes for unlocks -> profit

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

Quoted from Waster

The most fair thing you can do is look at how most people play their pcw’s. If people really prefer unlocks over vanilla then everybody is using unlocks in their pcw’s all the time. The fact that in 99,99% of the time people dont use unlocks at all in their pcw’s regardless of skill level, the tf2 community really prefers vanilla over unlocks.

Having unlocks allowed doesn’t mean a team will always use them. The best… most powerful weapons in this game (for the standard classes) are generally the standard ones. Scattergun > FaN, RPG > TDH, Sniper rifle > Huntsman etc…

They are used not out of principle, but because they are simply better weapons. There are only a small number of unlocks which are a straight up buff, like the equaliser, and this unlocks is used in the majority of games.

BlinkBoy

GFM

Quoted from Spike Himself

This

xzr

Quoted from CommanderX

[…]

Don’t both ways end in the same thing though

arx’s scenario the cinnamon lovers play all their games cinnamon.

I think it’s just fair to say it’s a bit biased!

xzr

But anyway, who cares, cu lads in esl and vanilla pcws ^__^ xoxoxo

steve

Quoted from Spike Himself

not really, its just another format of arguing about which unlocks you want and dont want.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from steve

[…]

not really, its just another format of arguing about which unlocks you want and dont want.

Your team checks what unlocks you want, the opposing team does the same. You use the unlocks you both agreed on. No need to even talk about it. Obviously you don’t get checkboxes for ALL unlocks but only those that aren’t banned by etf2l. You could then run a different banlist per division without it making a huge difference.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from herpderp

Truthbombs

and it’s not like I said this ages ago in the other poll thread. THANKS for showing me I’m not alone.

steve

that wont work. its exactly the problem we have now, different teams will have a conflict of interest on what unlocks they want to be used in the game. a checkbox isnt going to allow one team to play vanilla when the other wants to use whatever they want.

team a checks no boxes (besides medic unlocks)
team b checks every other unlock that isnt banned by etf2l.

“You use the unlocks you both agreed on.” this is where its flawed, the teams wont be agreeing on anything. so its back to square 1 again

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 ... 31 Next »