Forum

Season 9 Suggestions

Created 17th December 2010 @ 11:00

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 17 18 19 ... 25 Next »

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

I don’t like a heavy on mid. I’m a scout. The last thing I want is a heavy shooting at me.

But that’s besides the point. Just because I don’t like playing against something doesn’t mean you should make it unviable. That’s just cowardly and stupid. Instead you learn to adapt.

Sneis, your post a few pages back is totally wrong btw. All but the sandman were banned after their nerfs. The sandman stayed banned. The calls to have them banned were mentioned before the nerfs. Once the changes were made, people changed the ‘it’s overpowered’ argument to ‘it’s just annoying’. Not a valid excuse as I’ve said before, there are many things that are really annoying… but just because they are default… they are allowed. Doesn’t make sense tbh. (I find sentry guns, demomen, snipers and spies quite annoying tbh).

Originally people were saying some of the listed weapons were too powerful. Sandman stunned a player leaving them completely vunerable. The click of 1 button had no trade off. It prevented flanks because a player wouldn’t want to get stunned by a scout and the scout gets a free kill. These were the reasons given. They partly addressed these. Made it so the sandman has a HP trade off, making him a 1 hit for a demoman’s pipe… 1 hit for a close range rocket… 1 hit for a FaN shot (maybe scatter?). They nerfed the stun effect so you could still move, and also nerfed it so it stuns the player less time if they are close to you when you’re hit with the ball.

The community asked for these. Then the argument turned to ‘stuns don’t belong in tf2’ with no reasons given for ‘er… why not?’. The only shit I ever here is ‘Oh it slows the game down’… well then remove EVERYTHING that slows the game down. SGs, Snipers, Heavies, choke points…. Obviously that’s stupid. Anyway, just making a point. (And for the record, I wouldn’t use sandman, i don’t think it’s a good trade off personally, and I don’t think many good scouts would use it either, not after they start getting 1 hit).

The FaN argument started because people called it overpowered. I don’t agree with that, but whatever… Valve listened to these players who called it overpowered, they removed the most argued feature of the weapon, the ‘lift and stun’ shot. They completely changed how the gun works, changed it’s uses. Infact, it has pretty much become worse than the scattergun by a long shot. But then it gets banned because ‘it’s annoying’.

TDH is banned because it’s OP, and because it’s annoying. “The weapon stops soldiers from jumping!”. Woah wait… So we banned the gunboats because it encouraged soldiers to jump on the enemy team too much… but we ban the direct hit because it stops jumping soldiers too easily. It’s these kind of reasons why I argue these unlocks so much. Because the reasons are just straight up bullshit. I don’t actually care ‘too much’ if weapons are banned or allowed. Valve removed the minicrit which was 1 hitting scouts when they jumped… from the otherside of the map. This was the reason at the time why players wanted it banned. Not because it was better at hitting people in the air… it was because the minicrit meant that a rocket from the other side of the map could do 130+ damage if the target was airbourne because the minicrit negated the fall off damage over distance. Even then… people had the option to use the direct hit and decided they would much rather have the splash.. and that the direct hit was quite useless. People weren’t really running it much.

Natasha i can actually understand some of the arguments. I think one of the main issues is not having heavy limit 1. But do you know the best counter to a natasha heavy? A sasha heavy. Obviously you can run snipers, focus fire, but natasha is quite difficult to play against. Overpowered? Hmm don’t really think so. Maybe prior to the nerfs. BUT EVEN THEN… when Sommie, Reimu and co were around, I was using natasha as heavy, and these ‘pro heavies’ states that natasha simply wasn’t as good. It didn’t do the damage output. They chose not to use the gun and these were some of the best heavies in Europe.

Wow this turned into a wall. Was only meant to be a quick one.

Spike Himself

TC

inb4 teams roll a heavy instead of a medic

Feneer

NPNL.
GFL

Quoted from crzfst

[…]
Hi div6.

oh, my bad, didn’t realise I wasn’t allowed an opinion as a div 6 player, must’ve missed that particular rule. Why so afraid of variety, do you simply lack the versatility to change tactics on the fly?

crzfst

Quoted from Feneer

[…]
oh, my bad, didn’t realise I wasn’t allowed an opinion as a div 6 player, must’ve missed that particular rule. Why so afraid of variety, do you simply lack the versatility to change tactics on the fly?

Brb gonna throw milk at someone while sniping with piss.

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

I agree with Acid, but in my opinion these unlocks are getting out of hand and are just going to cause a lot of confusion for new people to follow.

I’d choose Vanilla + medlocks, on the grounds that it’s just easy to follow.

Last edited by WARHURYEAH,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Feneer

[…]

Doesn’t matter, as there hopefully will be a different rule set for div2+.

Tikcus

Quoted from WARHURYEAH

I’d choose Vanilla + medlocks, on the grounds that it’s just easy to follow.

Ban unlocks because people are stupid?

a White list will mean people wont even have to remember what is allowed or not, you could also add class limits to the cfg, so people don’t run 4 scouts by mistake (maybe leave medic unlimited, for the few times a medic will crash/timeout allowing another player to play medic till he returns

Ched

.tony

If Valve wish to overcomplicate and bury the game in broken mechanics that serve no purpose other than to increase short term sales of their product, then we as a community should be prepared to either accept that or set our own rules so that our gameplay remains the way we wish it to.

Initially when unlocks were introduced, many of those who defended them pointed out that we shouldn’t be afraid of change and in fact, that change would increase the lifespan of the game. Whilst this has an element of truth, we shouldn’t accept change for the sake of change.

Trying to pick and mix unlocks to ban and permit wouldn’t have been a bad idea until Valve decided to add so many unlocks that attempting this would bring more problems and complications than it’s worth. Last thing I want to see is teams winning their divisions because they were able to defualt win their way to victory because of other team accidently using banned unlocks.

Just ban them all already, honestly.

Tikcus

Quoted from Ched

Last thing I want to see is teams winning their divisions because they were able to defualt win their way to victory because of other team accidently using banned unlocks.

a White list will protect the stupid

Waebi

‹Con›

Quoted from Ched

If Valve wish to overcomplicate and bury the game in broken mechanics that serve no purpose other than to increase short term sales of their product, then we as a community should be prepared to either accept that or set our own rules so that our gameplay remains the way we wish it to.

Valve is possibly one of the exceptions to the PC game market by bringing FREE updates and FREE add-ons to the games they develop. That’s a great thing and it’s not entirely unreasonable for them to hope they will get something out of it.
I’d rather the game did not “remain” the way it is forever. Remember Medic unlocks? I dare say almost no one disagrees with allowing them.

Quoted from Ched

Initially when unlocks were introduced, many of those who defended them pointed out that we shouldn’t be afraid of change and in fact, that change would increase the lifespan of the game. Whilst this has an element of truth, we shouldn’t accept change for the sake of change.

True that, not all change is good change.

Quoted from Ched

Trying to pick and mix unlocks to ban and permit wouldn’t have been a bad idea until Valve decided to add so many unlocks that attempting this would bring more problems and complications than it’s worth.

Every update there were a few new weapons, and the time it took for the next update to come out was/is way long enough for us to judge the weapons IMO. The fact that many people rage when you’re using “new” weapons in PCWs makes this laughable of course, and I may have to put it as “we’d have enough time, IF only we cared about it”.

Quoted from Ched

Last thing I want to see is teams winning their divisions because they were able to defualt win their way to victory because of other team accidently using banned unlocks.

Quoted from Tikcus

a White list will protect the stupid

Last edited by Waebi,

Ched

.tony

Valve have always described games as more of a service than a product. I’d say they’re providing a fairly poor service if they are ruining the product in order to produce more sales. I am not against the game changing, if Valve had done things differently and introduced less unlocks with more in depth mechanics that changed the game for the better in a fair and fun way, then I would be strongly defending them.

Most of the updates did only introduce a few weapons, until we reached the polycount pack and the latest big update. You argue that the time between updates is long enough to judge the unlocks from the previous update although there are still many unlocks from the polycount pack that we could debate over now. After another update which has introduced more unlocks and more gimmick mechanics before we have had time to judge all the previous unlocks and their mechanics.

What most people must accept is that the majority of the new unlocks are not really ‘overpowered’, but they do not benefit the game. Their mechanics are too insignificant to cause any imbalance. However, by allowing them, we are just needlessly overcomplicating the game and detering newer players.

And yes, I was stupid for not remembering the possibility of using a whitelist. Although that is another stack of work for server hosts to worry about. Once an unlock is on a whitelist, it is very unlikely that it would ever make it off of that whitelist because nobody would be able to use it in PCWs etc. and we’d get more community whining as people moan at each other to change their whitelists so that they may test an unlock in their PCWs or whatever.

xzr

vanilla+medic ftw

xzr

Quoted from Feneer

[…]

you might have an opinion but frankly nobody cares

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

After reading all of these replies I’m still no closer to knowing how I feel about this. I agree there’s skill in countering a “new” tactic or weapon.
Quoted from Tikcus

Remember they also have to counter your class line up, if their class line up is the greatest line up which will counter everything you throw at it, this is the line up that everyone will use and become the ‘default’ roll out.

This wont happen I dont think. 2 GRU Natascha heavies, for instance, will totally destroy a scout pair, forcing you to go sniper or spy. Double pyro may force a heavy in return, there is simply too many options for one “set” to beat all.

Quoted from Tikcus

Yes, class limit 2, medic & demo limit 1, forced us into 2 soldiers 2 scouts, a demo and a medic

There were no loadout options way back in the dark ages, it wasn’t much of a choice really.

Quoted from Tikcus

Valve are trying to fix this, and at every turn people in the community object, as they are stuck in a mindset that it has to be played this way!

Perhaps the problem stems from the fact that class limit 2 was decided on at the start (maybe that was a mistake).

sorry for just focusing on your posts monkeh (and maybe repeating myself), but they had the most points to reply to :) mix later?

As has been pointed out by others, Valve have made a huge effort to keep us comp’ers happy, and I applaud them for it, it’s the main reason I spent a few quid in the MannCo store to say thank you.

In most cases I think they’ve done a great job: airblast, spy watches, mini sentry, equaliser etc. even nerfing the soldiers rocket clip way back when! I’d like to embrace the “allow all unlocks” idea, I really would…but in some cases it just doesn’t seem like it will enhance either gameplay or fun levels.

Dont worry about picking on me Tik, it’s fine! Healthy debate is healthy. Also, can’t mix later, off to watch Liverpool wallop Wolves dans le pub!

pala4

“This wont happen I dont think. 2 GRU Natascha heavies, for instance, will totally destroy a scout pair, forcing you to go sniper or spy. ”
2 demos totally destroyed the game so we use demilimit 1 now

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 17 18 19 ... 25 Next »