Forum

Round time limit

Created 8th October 2013 @ 00:29

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

rviens

Hello,

I couldn’t be less arsed to search for a similar thread to this, so I’m gonna assume I am kind of original.

Simple idea, add time limit to every round. It removes stalemates, it will force people into a more aggressive game style which will, of course, provide a more dynamic, faster paced game, however at the same time the retarded ass bombing soldier will actually think before jumping, rather than suiciding in because well, he can. People’s picks will mean a lot more and players will cherish their lives more than ever. Medic picks, everything will be suddenly 10 times more important, getting out of mid because you are already 3 vs 6 will be learned faster than ever.

It kinda changes the meta completely, but I am tired of 1-1 Process draws, tired of teams winning just because they managed to not lose their last point for 20 minutes. Make every round 5-7 minutes long, force people play the golden cap format every round.

5 to 7 minutes a round would be perfect, considering it is an average time for a round and if it doesn’t end by then, the team who holds mid wins.

Last edited by rviens,

Mike

TEZC

fucking stupid idea

kalhó

MM
Nave

This has already been discussed a lot. For example, a lower round timer could also mean teams wouldn’t even try to push out of last and just wait for the timer to end.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

There already is a 10 minute timer between each capture. Darn once suggested that should be shortened.

Why would I ever repush mid in this rule set? I can just run the clock down and get another shot at a mid fight :D

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

He’s saying that holding mid at the time limit wins the round, so that’s why you would repush. But it’s not what the Americans do so it’s hardly likely to be introduced.

doks

dunno, most of the rounds end in under 3 minutes… then there are a few 4/5 minute ones and then maybe once a day or two you see a 10+ minute round.
Someone with no life could probably make a graph from like a weeks logs… but aint gonna be me this time

AnimaL

tf2 turbo v2.0

byte

What Mike and Admirable said +1, in a short sweet and less degrading reply rviens, answer is simply: no.

Cheers

Byte

Last edited by byte,

rviens

Quoted from fraac

He’s saying that holding mid at the time limit wins the round, so that’s why you would repush. But it’s not what the Americans do so it’s hardly likely to be introduced.

Exactly what I mean, running out the time limit would not be viable because the mid holding team wins.

Setsul

Quoted from rviens

[…]

Exactly what I mean, running out the time limit would not be viable because the mid holding team wins.

So basically if you win mid and have advantage or equal übers the round is over?

toogyboogy

(ETF2L Donator)
SOFT
bobs

why fix what aint broken?

Dendocror

idd.
~MOE~

Quoted from toogyboogy

people think it is broken though, that’s the thing.

Selek

Dr. med.

New meta: Win the mid fight, the respawns go Engy/Heavy, defend mid until the time is up.

No thank you :)

rviens

Quoted from Setsul

[…]
So basically if you win mid and have advantage or equal übers the round is over?

How do you think pushing 2nd or mid works anyways? If a team has an advantage it pushes last and wins, it works just like it did before. However, pushes would also be come more coordinated, considering losing uber advantage would essentially cause the attacking team to collapse and be pushed back. The game works the same as it did before, only that the defending team won’t be able to sit on their asses winning by one point and the attacking teams will work on their pushes, because losing middle is much bigger of a deal than before.

Quoted from toogyboogy

It is broken to a point where you can have rounds lasting up to 20 minutes and that’s not how a game like TF2 works.

Quoted from Selek

New meta: Win the mid fight, the respawns go Engy/Heavy, defend mid until the time is up.

No thank you :)

The open spaces mids provide do not let Engy be a viable option, neither the Heavy, because of low long range damage. Badlands mid is a flank feast, Gullywash also, same goes for every map in the map pool. Imagine the new time limit like playing koth, but with greater depth. Your mentality is correct in a way, that it is a way to play the game with the time limit, however you have to realize that pushing middles is a lot easier than pushing lasts.

Last edited by rviens,

ash

(Legend)
:D

Quoted from rviens

[…]
It is broken to a point where you can have rounds lasting up to 20 minutes and that’s not how a game like TF2 works.

You’re trying to tackle those realllllly slow games where both teams dont want to push. Currently after 10min the game basically resets. That’s okay imho but, as you pointed out, it kinda does reward just holding 2nd.

Then again, its usually easier to push from mid to 2nd than vice versa, and its usually the team holding the mid that has the better chances for a successful push, not even considering any player/uber advantages gained from the mid fight.

You are now proposing to cut off any round after for example 10min. That would result in really even, back-and-forth games (which are arguably the most fun games to watch and play) being cut off at some more or less random point in time – midgame. Whoever happens to hold the mid at that point, wins.

Also, while discouraging holding 2nd until round resets, it encourages holding mid until you win. Not sure which is preferable tbh, both are shit, only one threatens to cut off vivid games tho.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »