Forum

How would you start designing a map?

Created 28th January 2009 @ 14:23

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Rele

Since there are so few good maps playable for 6v6 I thought I could try my self to create a proper one. But I have no idea how to start. I tried drawing some map layouts on paper but it just doesnt work and it´s screwed up everytime. Got no skills with hammer editor so far, wanted to have a design first and then start creating it. So how should I start?

Darn

rockit like

CP2 = Badwater first cp (the hill) CP3 = Gravelpit B, dunno bout the CP1 but that would be the best map ever. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Norrland3000

anyone who has a really good tutorial on hammer editor? :)

kEvNx

.#mtf

i would look after some good tutorials :)
there is a german one: http://www.thewall.de/content/

Bury

Look at interlopers http://www.interlopers.net/tutorials/ great tutorials and help on the forum

J3

Interlopers is the best level design site that i know.

Akill

before you start making layouts n stuff id suggest in your mind breaking up the 3 cp’s (as its symmetrical) and note down how you want the gameplay over each cp to work.

here are 6 main points to look for when designing cp’s as ‘areas’. Imagine if you will we are on REDs half of the map
1. how will combat work for all the main classes in the point?
2. how/where will blu attack from?
3. how/where will blu team defend the area after capturing it?
4. how/where will RED team defend the area?
5. how/where will RED team push into the area?
6. Do i want to support particular types of gameplay or influence how the teams position themselves via. health pack palcement?

for middle CP’s you also have to consider how the initial fight will take place.
When considering all these points remember that you need to cater for 6 players, and the 4 main classes, medic, scout, demoman, soldier

Remembeer that teams will consider backcaps, assassinations, hard pushes with the heavies. early non-uber pushes. etc

cook

FB

Akill nailed it. CSS mapping is incredibly easy as balancing is easy, but with 9 classes, that becomes the most challenging aspect of mapping. In terms of physical mapping, first i’ll map out the layout i’ve drawn in nodraw, then add any brush detail – then do textures, and finally props/decals.

Add A Reply Pages: 1