Forum

Leading a Team (for dummies)

Created 11th May 2011 @ 13:01

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Spike Himself

TC

I was a little bored so I decided to write a little guide on how to run a team playing in a league :)

The guide :o

This guide is targeted mainly at leaders of teams that are new to playing competitively, but leaders of existing teams may fancy reading it as well!
Some points made in this guide are specifically aimed at playing in ETF2L, but most work for other leagues too, or even other games.

Know the rules

This should go without saying, but do make sure you’re familiar with the rules for each league you play in. If you ever have any questions you can always contact an admin. For ETF2L you can do so on IRC, by going into #etf2l and typing !admin.

Assume you’re never at full strength

Common sense overrules the assumption, obviously, but nevertheless it won’t harm your team to have backup players on the roster. Leagues set a deadline before which you are to schedule and play your games. If you run out of available players and are unable to field a team before the set deadline, you may end up receiving a default loss. In ETF2L, three default losses mean your team will be dropped from the season.

Prevent drama while saving the league admins some work

In ETF2L, league games are spread out over a bunch of weeks. You play one game each week if everything goes to plan. You are to have a match scheduled in the week before it; i.e. the scheduling deadline is the day before the week in which your game is to be played. If a game is still unscheduled after the scheduling deadline, ETF2L admins will set a default date for the match. Teams are still free to reschedule their game if they don’t fail to come to a mutual agreement.
Default dates are generally set to the preference of the team that did try to schedule the game (if neither; admins will check each team’s previous games and team info page to see when they are available). If you are not particularly fond of default dates: SCHEDULE YOUR GAME BEFORE THE DEADLINE :)

Use the match page

There is a reason behind the fact you may add comments to a match page. If you and your opponent have come to agreements using, for example, steam chat, make sure you do post a comment on the match page about it, so as to provide information in case of a dispute (or even prevent one from happening in the first place). If you agree on a scheduled date, make sure you do use the Calendar in the Team Admin section so that the match is actually scheduled for the date you agreed on.

Respect your opponents

You are both here with a common goal: to get fair and competitive games. Show respect to those you play against; in the end, what matters is the game you play, not necessarily the results of it. Try to be lenient and don’t be a dick. If you can’t come to an agreement with your opponent about something, don’t resort to flaming and abuse. Instead, contact an admin.

Be patient with your team

Running a team requires patience. Many teams have not lasted for very long simply because they didn’t get “good” fast enough. Teamwork is built slowly. Very slowly. Always be honest with your team’s members and let them know if they’re not doing what you expect of them. They might just listen to you, instead of having no clue why you get so annoyed with them all the time! Obviously if someone isn’t performing well in your team at all, or it just doesn’t “click”, you may need to replace them, but don’t forget that sometimes these things fix themselves, and that it can take a lot of time.

Have fun while playing (by: naMu)

When building the team or recruiting new players, for me it’s more important that there is synergy within the team and everyone enjoys the time also outside the game. Without this you will only get drama and problems, eventually fold.

Quoted from dougiie

Patience

something which I’ve rarely ever seen in tf2 team wise. However, too much patience while waiting for 6 to get on a server :p

Might write more when I think of it. By all means feel free to criticise :)

Last edited by Spike Himself,

quad

another tip, dont recruit people who whine or rage, kick them after giving them a warning.

Last edited by quad,

dougiie

CotC

Patience

something which I’ve rarely ever seen in tf2 team wise. However, too much patience while waiting for 6 to get on a server :p

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from dougiie

Patience

30 minutes is still fashionably late :D

Ramown

TIDS

Make sure nobody hacks, and if you’re being carried you aren’t learning anything.

naMu

LAITON
KUKKO!

Tip nr. 69: Have fun while playing
When building the team or recruiting new players, for me it’s more important that there is synergy within the team and everyone enjoys the time also outside the game. Without this you will only get drama and problems, eventually fold.

Last edited by naMu,

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

1) Find people you like playing with
2) Play consistently (3/4 nights a week is fine, not spam effects’ play every day for 8 hours then spend 12 hours going through demos, wake up 4 hours later and repeat).
3) Don’t fold when things go bad
4) ????
5) Profit

Indxyou

make sure people keep their fuckin tag on

rtan

-9w-

have a relaxed atmosphere, dont rage, and enjoy playing.

deal

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Tip nr. 84: Moan to each other regularly
Moaning is a way of communicating or expressing excitement and pleasure. Some women and men moan as a signal to let their partner know that the sensation feels good. Others utter sounds and let their bodies move freely as they warm up for play. This is really a bounding experience and helps you build a solid teamspirit.

Last edited by Andee,

Askior

swimp

Dont take a cheater in your team.
Oh wait-

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Andee

Tip nr. 84: Moan to each other regularly
Moaning is a way of communicating or expressing excitement and pleasure. Some women and men moan as a signal to let their partner know that the sensation feels good. Others utter sounds and let their bodies move freely as they warm up for play. This is really a bounding experience and helps you build a solid teamspirit.

How do we know when it is appropriate to moan?

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]

How do we know when it is appropriate to moan?

When he’s touching the right places you’ll know.

caned

MEAT
LEGO

Take 16 backups, you’ll never have to wildcard again.

Colt.

swimp

well im out… thanks spike “dodge” himslef… :p

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »