Forum

An idea about the gap in skill level

Created 6th November 2008 @ 01:38

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3

strut

-=Crazy=-

It’s not easy making a team out of the decent unclanned players floating about as many seem to want to slot straight into a div2 team and need a reality check and are generally indecisive.

The other alternative is to join a really low clan infested with guys that play TF2 in between CS/Football Manager/WOW and god knows what else just depending on their mood/boredom etc

agron

Relic

“the time it takes to mould as a team and the recurring pattern of new top teams that fold a few weeks after being formed. Fracture is a perfect example of this.”

Eeh? Fracture was active for…ehm about 6-7 months before it folded the 1st time due to lack of interest.

Then it made a shortlived comeback which crashed and burned because the self-proclaimed clan leader got a hissyfit and left tf2 again, and a certain awsum guy wanted to play with his fellow countrymen (for some reason).

But yes, the div1-2 skill cap is probably of our own doing. Can’t deny that. But you’ve got to understand that after playing this game for over a year, like i have, you get to know the guys in the “top scene” pretty well, have some eBuddies even :)

So it’s kinda hard to consider starting to play the game in a div 3-5 team with people you don’t even know. And I admit after you’ve gotten used to certain level of play, it’s hard to drop down a level. Maybe that’s egoistical, snobby or whatever, but that’s how many players i know (and I even) feel about things.

(It’s like playing a rpg for hours and hours, getting cool items and level ups, and then the game crashes and you notice the only save-file you have is 3 weeks old with you having a sharp stick as your best weapon…it’s daunting and frustrating to start again, might as well buy a new game!)

Disclaimer: The statement above in (…) is not to be taken seriously.

But yeps, looking at the recruiting forum, there’s a ton of people of different skill levels clanless at the moment. Why wait for an established team ditching a player and then maybe picking you up? These guys should take the effort to form new teams imo. Ofc you won’t be raping div1 teams on a daily basis but you have to start from somewhere. After a while a team with a solid base of players will improve alot if they just keep practicing, take a gander at Druidz, even with their old belgian line-up.

I never thought anyone from Rasta would “make it big” and I was proven wrong i guess ;)

Oggy

I think a few people have missunderstood what I was saying I didn’t mean div3-4 should play div1 teams and get raped weekly I mean that they should at least play a few teams in the div above them that are higher skilled, what I see alot is people not wanting to play clans because they are too good etc. Get a raping once a week you might learn from it.

Mick-

Oh and btw Itchi this is the reason 4k were not interested in trialing you itchi , complete lack of understanding of anything ingame except standing in resup on dm servers , i dont know how a tf2 player can support that cl1 idea tbh.

Dave

Mafia
wMiC?

In response to the OP, I think that there isn’t specifically a need for a ‘buddy pairing’ system, but I can understand why you might suggest it. For my team which was formed from scratch, we’ve had to watch demo’s and spec games to learn what the top players do. Understanding this is a different issue, and basically differentiates intelligent gamers from those who arn’t, and thus successful teams from bad ones. As byte says, this game takes far more intelligence than many, and I think just simply telling lower skill teams what to do makes them follow instructions, rather than understanding the game. As well as this, you’re basically stifling any new tactics that could be developed, and enforcing the current rules on the game, which could stop some really new things coming to the scene. Although I’d love it if all of a sudden, top players started offering to give my team advice, I think part of the fun of being in a clan is developing your own tactics and working stuff out for yourself.

In regards to the competitive scene in general:

For me, I came to TF2 after playing 1-2 years of CSS, with friends, rather than to play competitively. However, I quickly realised how good this game is when playing seriously, and
why I decided to focus on it, rather than just playing casually or drifting between games. I’ve joined a few clans, and played to increase my skill level without ever getting any help from top players, and altho hard to say, I’d probably say I’m about mid skill now, on a good day mid+ . I’ve played pickups as much as possible, and pcws with my teams, but at the moment I feel like I’m hitting a plateau. When I try and actually think, I think I can play at a mid+ skill, but because I’m not allowed to play invite pickups, when my team arn’t around, motivation to play ordinary pickups with lots of low players isn’t particularly high.

I did actually play 2-3 invite pickups a while before the authorisation system was implemented, but I was kicked by a player just because I was clanless at the time, and unknown. The admin had never seen me play, neither had the guy who asked to get me kicked. I tried to play my absolute best during the matches, and never came bottom or significantly let my team down, but was kicked regardless. At the moment, the invite pickup channel is basically a mix system for top players wanting to play with their friends, and it doesn’t give any oppertunity to new players. I’ve asked if I can join, but been told that there are no chances, and that basically I’d have to ALWAYS play well to ever merit being in the channel, even tho currently there some non-ETF2L players in there, as well as the fact that nobody can ALWAYS play as well as they know they can.

I think it’s a real shame, because the best way for new teams and new players to emerge is to give them a chance to play with the best players in a fun environment. Lower teams just getting thrashed by higher teams doesn’t necessarily help, but playing in a mix where teamwork happens on the fly actually makes players think, and work harder, and thus get better. As well as this, no particular player or team has to spend time giving advice or going through maps, it’s a much easier system on everyone. I know it’s hard to differentiate between which players are ready to start playing in the invite pickups, compared to people who think they’re high+ when they’re mid-, but the blanket rule of being in div1/2 isn’t helping.

I’m increasingly thinking that just because TF2 doesn’t have the same coverage and respect that games like CSS have, some of the top players – NOT all – feel the need to try and enforce some distance between themselves and lower teams. Whilst I understand that it’s hard for top players to just drop out and play with lower skilled teams, how do they expect newer teams to come through, if they don’t give them a chance? I think it’s a huge shame because when I speak to some of them 1on1, they generally seem pretty nice, and I think unlike any other game, the ‘fun’ element in TF2 gives a lot of the top players a really good attitude, where they are totally willing to accept Steam adds etc. However, when it comes to it, in terms of giving new players chances, nothing happens.

Dave

Mafia
wMiC?

omg I posted an essay.

Sorry, got carried away :P

skinnie

TCM

i know back in the days when i played cs1.6 some of the top clans had this thing where players could hire a top player for like an hour to give him hints and tips etc … for like 50bucks / hour or somethin

maybe we should do something like this ? :D

Redman350

[FB]

I’d like to make a small addition to oggy’s idea.

Instead of just letting the div1 steamroll the lower team, then explain in detail exactly how they steamrolled them, you could instead mix the teams around slightly.

If you were to swap the medic and one scout, each of the lower skilled scouts will have a div1 scout to explain to them the tactics for each map in real time, the lower skilled medic would have soldiers to tell him where he needs to be, when to pop ubers etc, while the div1 medic can help the lower sollys in a similar way.

It might be a bit messy, or even just completely fail in practice, but i think it would be a bit more effective than just getting destroyed for 30 minutes.

Wlv

RaWr ::

It’s not easy making a team out of the decent unclanned players floating about as many seem to want to slot straight into a div2 team and need a reality check and are generally indecisive.

You can’t really slate someone whos “decent” and wants to join a “decent” team :)

KOVACS and the d3rail made some really good points

Waebi

‹Con›

<3 Kovacs :D

other thing:
“when my team arn’t around, motivation to play ordinary pickups with lots of low players isn’t particularly high.”

True that, that’s where I go emo syringe-raging around. I have played several intense games, and it always was with div3/2/”higher than me” guys who were that kind to take me as a “omg noob” div5 medic (with only ~240h time as that class, amagad nub!!11) in as a mercenary. And i friggin loved it, it’s so more fun and I actually learned more stuff than in 5+ “normal” pickups together. That’s the reason i like to mix/merc so much, because you see a strong, built team with tactics and you notice how THEY do it and you will see if it’s good, then do it yourself later.

Too late(early? :D) for more text.
/waebi
(btw: l4d friggin owns. Maybe i’ll move up to it and leave these skill problems behind too.)

Wiiking

too much teamplay in tf2 to make it into div 1/2 (easily)

yupp, thats it, to make it rly rly rly short.

Kovacs said the rest

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

I just think there should be more Mick’s, afterall he helps balance out 4Kings, without him they’d be simply unbeatable. Every clan should have a Mick.

Jay

wMiC?

Krakyn:

“if the top players were more vocal at times in gathers and said why someones actions were wrong/bad/noobish rather than just going “you’re shit” it would help a crap load”

I agree. If some (only some) higher skilled players were less ragey :P

Just played a pickup now, we won and it was fun, until a ‘top’ player started targeting another lower skilled player and generally making the whole team feel uncomfortable when trying to play. Why?

For that player to improve, surely:
1: He’d have to enjoy pickups and want to play more and not be put off
2: The higher skilled player could be friendly and help him out in advising what he may need to do 3: Feel part of the ‘team’ and play with more confidence and ultimately play better

I currently have the pleasure to play for an upcoming mid clan, and we have made friends with some very friendly high skilled players. These players are more than happy to merc and generally get involved with the ‘mid skilled lot’ which helps so much in creating ties with the higher teams, learning new things and ultimately bridging the ‘skill gap’.

much love…. hope this is taken well :)

light

Personally playing a better clan every now and then would be more beneficial than getting arse raped every game. The reason being is the better clan more often than not gets bored and play stupid classes/ tactics which will not help the lower skilled clans.

I have found the best way to improve your game other than playing as many clan games/ and warming up on dm store etc is to watch as many demos as possible. For the community to improve I think we need to see more POV’s and SRCTV’s being made available from the better players and clans. This is how many people have became good in CS for example.

I think that the 2 pickup channels are helping the game as ppl can play clan like matches and get to grips with the clan system, however, i think the only person actually helping the lower skilled players is Byte-Me and thats cos he moans like fuck at them :D

Peace out homeboys

Iller

tGa

Very well written, KOVACS. I totally agree on everything.

It is very hard for a new player to become a pro player by just practicing on public. Speaking for myself, I know that feeling all to well, probably better than anyone with my massive total playtime (1000 hours as solly). I would really like to become one of the best soldiers around and are prepared to work hard for it, but there is a limit to how much you can learn from public.
Mostly too much public play makes me underestimate my opponents, since I tend to expect everyone I meet to be a noob then..
To play together with a good team really feels much more rewarding.

On the other hand I think it is a bit pathetic to call out “pick me, pick me !!” to some top team begging them to accept you. Sure it might be nice to get the feeling that you are a bit famous belonging to some top team, but that is not the reason I play at least.
I would rather play together with some other good, hard working, players to fight our way up in the rankings and improve ourselves (Like Vale/Druidz did).
So my idea is that all clanless good players that want to belong to a div1/div 2 team form one or several new clans and fight their way up.

“Fame” is not something that should be given to you, it should be earned.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3