Forum

General guide to improving your aim and various other factors

Created 5th July 2010 @ 23:42

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 8 Next »

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from Andee

But dont ever turn off ingame sounds. I dont think thats a good idea, because I often listnen to footsteps, close explosions, spy uncloaks, etc to predict enemy movement.

It was just for DMing.

Pyle

Quoted from VooDooSeNSe

play Quake Live

These 3 words beat that wall of text.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Pyle

[…]

These 3 words beat that wall of text.

If only QL was any good!

Pyle

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

If only QL was any good!

I’m waiting for cpma as well : )

Jims

[GM\\\'2]

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

You’re going to edit your post rather than add a new reply to the topic? i.e. we have to read all of it again in order to find the changes?

I generaly planned on formating it all slowly as I go along then adding more onto the end and just having it in sections, if you’d prefer it I’ll add a extra post which each addition aswell as putting into the main peice so you don’t have to treck through it all, but I won’t be adding anymore untill tonight at the earliest for now

xzr

gj, get the formatting done though :P

painful to read atm

Last edited by xzr,

DasoK

Fail\\\\\\\\\\\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs

rtan

-9w-

gameplay only improves with a solid team and solid team structure. getting to know your scout partner helps a lot. i don’t believe all this “play dm 24/7”

Exfane

EPA
TWIN

the general idea of the guide is very good, if you just want to improve your aim.
However in tf2 your movement/gamesense is of more influence for your skill level then “solid pro” aim.
Anyone playing css or ql for instance definately could use your guide to get better.

ups

Hey guys, wall of text incoming.

The death notices aren’t that big of a deal, I don’t see the point of turning them off, because they usually show you (so does the domination/revenge system) which classes are killing you the most, which classes you need to focus more in order to survive longer than you have. This should expose your bad positioning against some of them (standing near a wall when a soldier, who is relying on splash damage, is shooting at you is not the best of ideas).

Furthermore, if someone is dominating you on a Death Match server, it’s only human to have the desire to get a revenge on that person. He might be surrounded by loads of enemies, but you focus on ‘that guy’ because he’s your priority target. This is where it gets close to some game situations where you have to focus the targets that are the most important for enemy to succeed at raping your team – “I cant get out, I’ll focus on the medic before I die”.

Your article suggests, that you need to be positive about the things you’re doing in order to get results. While I completely agree with that, I think that the domination/revenge system and the kill notifications give you some kind of motivation to practice/stay on a Death Match server for a little longer. It creates competition, and competition is always fun.

As it was already said, disabling the sounds isn’t the best idea either. Same goes for listening to music – it has to be more quiet than the game sounds. Otherwise it destroys ‘the game immersion’, the game atmosphere. You’re just playing it for training, instead of having fun while practicing / listening to your surroundings to understand the situation you’re currently in better.

Additionally, there might be some things that influence your aim more than your everyday practice.Training muscle memory is all good, but it won’t help you if you’re too stressed or nervous. I know that might sound strange, but not getting a good night sleep might not only lower your reaction time, but fuck up your aim too.

Last edited by ups,

freshmeatt

‹Con›

As there are many more people to object Jims’s ideas, I’ll just add my two cents.
All this stuff, i.e. sounds’ volume, death notices, scoreboard and others have much in common with proper sensitivity issue.

Can’t live without it, but you’re free to experiment and it’s all about your own preference.

And for crying out loud, we are talking about practicing AIM – not MINDSETS, POSITIONING, STATUS, ETC; JUST AIM – on DM server, so stop wasting time on posting about not listening to footsteps on matches.

Last edited by freshmeatt,

kuma

The thing is, it’s really not useful to just practice aim in TF2, as well as the fact that the thread title includes the term “gameplay” would imply that.

DM is not just about aim, it’s about positioning, status, awareness etc. You may have the best aim in the world but if someone has superior DM you will get destroyed. And since you can improve all of them together, why are you only focusing on the least important factor of all?

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from kuma

The thing is, it’s really not useful to just practice aim in TF2, as well as the fact that the thread title includes the term “gameplay” would imply that.

DM is not just about aim, it’s about positioning, status, awareness etc. You may have the best aim in the world but if someone has superior DM you will get destroyed. And since you can improve all of them together, why are you only focusing on the least important factor of all?

It’s ok, I actually am aware of that ‘gameplay’ word, but nothing about it was mentioned by OP yet. Also, this is an in-depth article (at least I see it that way) and in-depth articles concern (or should? dunno) only one aspect of said gameplay – which in this case is aim.
I do understand that movement, positioning, status is more than just quite important in scout’s matter, but you really don’t need to know if someone is dead on DM, especially if he is about to respawn a half second after being killed. As for sounds and scoreboard, as I said, it’s personal preference – as for me, shitton of sounds are kind of distractive, yet I like to turn volume up on lobbies/mixes just to stay focused on what is happening around me. And scoreboard – if you are really concerned about your K:D ratio on DM server, then well, you are missing the whole point.

Somehow I do believe that once you have superior aim, you will not have to focus on it anymore, it will just be a habit to point and click. You will be able to focus on status and positioning, on which you actually have to be focused all the time.

Last edited by freshmeatt,

franco

if you aren’t meant to be good at something you cant force it, if you cant get good dont worry about it

Memento Mori

Quoted from franco

if you aren’t meant to be good at something you cant force it, if you cant get good dont worry about it

Lies

If you want to be good at something, go do it, and do it a lot.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 8 Next »