Forum

Suggestion: Highlander Season 9 all tiers use Swiss System

Created 16th September 2015 @ 06:49

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Steve!

S-O

Quoted from b33p

Two separate pages for the highlander tables is strange, inefficient and counter intuitive.

The league will be more interesting, there will be something to find out every week other than match results, it’ll be more fun.

Opinions.

Quoted from b33p

Premier teams currently have an advantage over the other tiers in that they see who they play during the whole season.

Prem does not compete with other tiers directly, hence advantages don’t matter.

Quoted from b33p

Thing is, though, Tryhard eSports actually has a tough week 3 week too, and can’t plan to focus Week 4 maps during Week 3 the way Epsi can, giving them a disadvantage Epsi doesn’t have to deal with.

Have you seen the maps being played? There’s almost no variation. Everyone knows their shit. “Breather weeks” are irrelevant in how you compete in the other weeks. TF2 practice is TF2 practice, doesn’t matter if it’s on pl_badwater, koth_viaduct or cp_process.
Quoted from b33p

Or, if prem was using the same system as every other tier, teams would always be on their toes

If the team needs a surprise factor as motivation to compete at their best, they don’t have a place in prem, IMO.

Quoted from b33p

Wasn’t a key reason Swiss was great was to cut down admins making default times and reading the comments and all that nonsense? If prem used Swiss too you could clearly indicate the best times to play using the system on the site. And yeah, comments can clarify times or preferences (not sure if the ETF2L system has preferences tbh) if that’s even necessary.

This is exactly what’s being done in Prem at the moment, in the current system.

Quoted from b33p

In fact, keeping prem on the old system but removing their wildcards is actually a worse system than before Swiss was changed for the other tiers. So scheduling in prem is harder and more important and crucial now, and we’re working in this old system. Throw prem a bone!

Scheduling is easy, the only times scheduling fiascoes happen is when one or both of the teams are lazy and/or don’t use match comments. Or, when the leader is struggling internally with finding out his team’s availability. Which shouldn’t be ETF2L’s problem.

Quoted from b33p

• Will make prem more interesting to spectate week on week
• Should make scheduling easier
• Improves league consistency

Prem is already plenty interesting, with good games happening each week.
Scheduling is already easy enough, provided you don’t alienate yourself from half of your opponents. :)
The league is consistent across the majority of its player base. Premiership is supposed to be exclusive and reserved for the best of players. Having a slightly different system serves only to differentiate Prem from the rest, in a good way.

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

Quoted from Steve!

Having a slightly different system serves only to differentiate Prem from the rest, in a good way.

I see your point of view as counterpoints to mine. But the last assertion I’m unsure of. Why is this differentiation doing it in a good way? What is a ‘good’ way of being different (and not the obvious: the reason they’re in a higher tier)?

Popcorp

If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.

Steve!

S-O

It’s more like, I’m providing counterpoints to stuff I disagree with, because I don’t think swiss is the solution to our problem. Sure, there’s issues with scheduling and I wish sometimes it was more flexible, but introducing a new system won’t solve it. I do also agree with you in that wildcards make some games less competitive due to having to find mercs or play with substitutes.
The ways to make it more flexible that I can think of are all outside of ETF2L’s control. That would be things like chat groups just for the team leaders, so there’s more communication between them. Or, just players in each team not f*cking around and saying “uuuu i don’t know my schedule 7 days in advance” — that’s just silly, IMO.
Problems with scheduling, in my personal experience, are always when the scheduling for the next match is ignored for one reason or another until the last moment.
I think this is the root of the problem, not the system being used.
For example, a thing that would be easy to introduce is e-mail/steam reminders to leaders that there is no date set yet for a match, in order to bring more attention to it before a random default is set. I’m aware this is already being done in some cases, but AFAIK it’s mostly through match comments, and it isn’t being done consistently and/or automated.

On your other point, I believe that differentiating premiership from the other divisions is a good thing because having it be different creates a more “exclusive” feel to it. The team that gets into prem suddenly has the privilege of finding out who all their opponents are, and getting to plan/hype themselves in advance for respective matches. It’s like an additional “grats, you made it into prem”, so to speak.
From the perspective of outsiders, the fact that all the enemies known beforehand, is positively relevant in the way that they can guess and discuss about the flow of the season. If they don’t have that knowledge beforehand, they’ll just start guessing and discussing a bit later. This is a bit of a non-factor for prem though, because there’s only 8 teams and the hype will be more about who plays, not who plays who when.
In any way, the end result is a write-up one or two days before stating who plays each other and when. This is, IMO, what the majority cares about and the only bit of information about the match they’ll get right before watching it.

Last edited by Steve!,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2