ESA TF2 Cup #5 starting on Sunday, August 11 @ 21.00 CEST + ruleset poll

Created 5th August 2013 @ 18:09

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

This is a summary of this post: https://esagamer.com/news/41/TF2-Open-Cup-5

As promised, ESA is kicking off skill tiered tournaments in August. Because the Sunday tournaments had a decreasing number of signups and the ETF2L season is now over, we will try a different schedule this time: The cups will run over the course of 3 match days while also allowing more flexibility with the scheduling.

Unfortunately, the participation in the previous tournaments was too low for the ranking system to start working properly. For this reason, the requirement to have an ESA ranking (which you get with about 9 played matches) was dropped, which leaves the admin staff with the unpleasant task of manually evaluating the skill of every team that signs up. Indicator for this rule will be the team’s ETF2L division in Season 15 or the players’ previous teams, if they did not play in ETF2L Season 15. Sandbagging is not allowed, if your team does not get approved for the low bracket two days after signing up, you were probably rated higher and should talk to an admin.

Low (Div 5 & 6 only): https://esagamer.com/tournaments/81/
Medium (Div 2 or lower only): https://esagamer.com/tournaments/82/
High (Prem & Div 1): https://esagamer.com/tournaments/83/

The list of additionally allowed unlocks remains untouched:
– The Black Box
– The Winger
– The Gloves of Running Urgently
– The Cozy Camper
– L’Etranger
– The Detonator

Schedule TF2 Cup #5 (Low & Medium, 16 slots)
– Round 1: Sunday, August 11, 21.00 CEST – cp_badlands
– Quarter Finals: Sunday, August 11, 22.00 CEST – cp_granary
– Semi Finals: Monday, August 12, 21.00 CEST – BO3
– Final/3rd Place Match: Wednesday, August 14, 21.00 CEST – BO3

Schedule TF2 Cup #5 (High, 8 slots)
– Quarter Finals: Sunday, August 11, 21.00 CEST – BO3
– Semi Finals: Monday, August 12, 21.00 CEST – BO3
– Final/3rd Place Match: Wednesday, August 14, 21.00 CEST – BO3

The above times are default dates and the Semi-Finals and Finals/3rd Place match can be delayed to the following day. Both teams must confirm the different schedule in the match discussion. Direct admin support can only be guaranteed on the official match nights.

Premium Payout Explanation

The prize pool for each cup is £120 (top 8 payout/top 4 payout for HIGH) and uses Premium payouts, which means you are only eligible to win a money prize, if you have an ESA Premium account. The prize pool is based on the number of Premium subscriptions and can be increased by simply buying a Premium subscription for yourself.

Check-in

ESA tournaments are using a check in system. Only teams that checked in will be added to the tournament bracket. The check-in opens on Sunday, August 11, at 18.00 CEST (3 hours before the tournament start) and lasts until ~20.45 CEST, after which the brackets will be generated. If you miss this deadline, you can not play in the tournament. Only one member of the team has to check in the team.

ESA AntiCheat
Over the past months, ESA has developped its own AntiCheat tool, which will become mandatory soon. It was already used for CS:GO and many bugs have already been ironed out. The requirements to hardware and internet are minimal and should not mess up the game’s performance. To optimize it for TF2, it needs to be used and bugs need to be reported.

To improve this tool, ESA needs your help. This tool is not mandatory yet but will become mandatory at some point. Please use the time to test it and report bugs to ESA staff. This tool runs on Windows systems only.

ESA AntiCheat requires no installation, you can just download the tool, start it up, log in with your ESA login credentials, enter your match ID (which can be found e.g. in the URL of the match page) and click “Start Scanning”. Please make sure to make yourself familiar with the tool and what it does. For example, you should not leave any confidential or sensitive information open while the tool is scanning, because it takes automatic screenshots of your screen. Only run it during matches.

More information and the download link can be found on the AntiCheat information page.

For questions, pop in at #esa on Quakenet or just ask in here.

Last edited by CanFo,

Tomu

BoyBrigade
MEGA$$

The link for the low bracket doesn’t work. There’s a dash between the last word and 5.

Better link https://esagamer.com/tournaments/81/TF2-Cup-5Low

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Thanks, fixed the links.

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Signups are dragging. If there is no drastic increase in the next two days, we’ll have to scrap them :(

Low bracket (div 5-6): 3
Medium bracket (div 2-4): 2
High bracket (prem – div 1): 3

Many wanted a chance to play against teams of equal skill and now here it is. Please use it.

In an attempt to make these cups more attractive, not only has the overall prize pot been increased and the schedule been made more flexible, I am now considering switching back to the good ole 30 minute round ruleset, if that is what more people prefer at the moment (as ESA is currently the only organisation in Europe running this ruleset and it might put off some people).

Here is a poll, I would like to see more comments as well on what is preventing you from signing up. I will use the poll results to evaluate the decision to go with the NA ruleset.

Which ruleset do you prefer for the ESA cups?

Total Voters: 64

Loading ... Loading ...

Last edited by CanFo,

numlocked

(king of all rollouts)
Epsilon

we’re not signing up this Sunday due to the highlander/nations cup games making us miss 3 players. we were planning on entering next week’s one, though.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

I’m busy this sunday but I’ll see if our team can sign up with some mercs.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

I’ve lost motivation playing with mixes against teams, but even if I had a team I’d want the format to be like etf2l so it was more standard practice, or for the quickfix to be allowed so it was fun.

Beater

Danmark
LEGO

Why the hell do you guys keep allowing the GRU? It’s a game destroying unlock which makes running full-time heavy on any map completely viable, and heavies are dumb as hell to play against already.

numlocked

(king of all rollouts)
Epsilon

Quoted from Beater

Why the hell do you guys keep allowing the GRU? It’s a game destroying unlock which makes running full-time heavy on any map completely viable, and heavies are dumb as hell to play against already.

it doesn’t make running heavy on every map viable. he’s just more useful on maps he could be used on before anyway, because he gets there at a decent time (granary). for example, on gullywash, the heavy is run full time by a lot of teams. people that run heavy full time w/ GRU are doing it just because it’s allowed and haven’t figured out when’s best to run it yet.

Dennia

FAINT

:( pls high bracket

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

I am really sorry but I have to cancel this cup. The signups are far below expectations (3 for low, 4 for medium, 3 for high) and that does just not justify a £360 prize pool.

Re GRU: If the GRU really are the problem, I will remove them. I do not think they completely destroy the game but I always wanted to allow more unlocks so who knows… It is just that I can not think of another unlock that is not ridiculously overpowered (e.g. Short Circuit) but would make other classes than the cookie cutter setup more viable (which may lead to more support from Valve, more public players transitioning, more spectators, more sponsors, … it is a bit romantic but you get the idea).

Re Rules: The poll has a 50/50 result but with more high level players supporting the 1 hour solution. I may just host the next cup with the old 30 minutes ruleset, depending on the likelihood of ETF2L switching next season.

I am not sure what to do with the cup that I scheduled for next week yet but will announce it as soon as I do.

In the meantime, if you did not sign up for other reasons than “players are missing” or “the sun is shining”, please share so I can improve the setup.

Zebbosai

maybe go back to etf2l unlocks? when u added more unlocks people stopped signing up

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from Zebbosai

maybe go back to etf2l unlocks? when u added more unlocks people stopped signing up

Here are the signup numbers:
#2 (ETF2L unlocks) had 17 teams
#3 (Quickfix, GRU, etc) had 18 teams
#4 (GRU, etc) had 16 teams

From this, I can not derive that people stopped signing up when more unlocks got allowed but as I said, if the GRU really are the problem, I will remove them. I just fear that not bringing in more unlocks and especially classes into the meta game will not do our scene any good in the long run (top players get bored and quit, no new fresh blood, declining viewership, declining prize pools, no Valve support). I am not saying that allowing unlocks will solve all problems at once but I do believe it is part of the solution.

ondkaja

IKEA

The cup runs too late, I mean, a close game can run into 00.00 CET which is way too late, especially for Finns and Russians. People can not stay up so late due to school/jobs. Perhaps bo1, until the final, which starts one hour earlier to compensate for the additional maps that are played.

Also GRU are completely broken, makes heavy way too strong. He can arrive anywhere as fast as a sniper but his damage output and presence is way higher. So yeah, remove the GRU, they are just overpowered.

Maybe host a cup with ESEA unlocks, instead? Their weapon bans have been discussed over and over so they have banned most of the items that are ridiculously powerful.

Enef

fest
#wubafan

I didn’t sign up because i only just saw this topic, i like the start time and the unlock rules don’t really matter to me, i just didn’t see the topic until right now.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »