[…]

Nope

16 x 90 = 1440
10 x 90 = 900

1440 x 900 is a 16:10 ratio.

1440p = 2560×1440 = 16:9

Skyride

DUCS

This is a discussion I’ve been having with Comedian regarding i46. With the hardware we’re bringing we can theoretically broadcast at 1080p at a fairly high bitrate, but is it worth it over having a higher quality 720p stream? I guess we’ll find out when we get there.

As far as frag movies go, I think the answer at this point in time is quite comfortably no. Sure 1080p looks great, but realistically it’s going to increase the time it takes to do anything by a factor of 2 or 3. Is it worth taking 3 times as long to edit your movie to have 1080p? Nah.

Leshey

D.A
V.A.C.

Lot of people answer the question from the moviemaker perspective and point out the downsides of which I’m pretty much aware of.

But what I’m not aware of is whether the majority of the potential viewers are capable of watching a 1080p video. Not everybody have hi-end PCs and some times people have difficulties just trying toplayback the video. That’s what I’m trying to find out here. I want to get an approximate ratio of people who can/can not handle 1080p video on their computers.

So Cube, Qun, Skyride from the perspective I described above, what would you choose?

Skyride

DUCS

For streaming it’s pretty much irrelevant because twitch/own3d both have lower quality options on their player, so you just stream at as high you can and let the viewers pick something lower if they want.

But ye, I’d say MOST people in TF2 would have a good enough computer. Flash will actually decode h.264 on your graphics card on most computers these days, and with more and more smartphones/tablets/laptops having hardware decoders, ye, 1080p isn’t a problem.

Put it this way, if you have a PC that can run TF2 at 60fps, you have a PC that can play a 1080p video on youtube.

My perspective on it is this, bassically offer the highest quality you can or can be bothered to offer, and put it somewhere that viewers can watch it at a lower quality if they want/need to.

AnimaL

streaming 1080p is pointless since most euros cant really download that (at least not from twitch servers)

if you want to brag about quality do a 720p 60fps

luzik

Suoli
moog

I can handle 1080p video easily but if I’m watching a fragmovie from anywhere I don’t care if it’s 720p or 1080p really. 720p window for playing the movie is imo big enough.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from AnimaL

streaming 1080p is pointless since I cant really download that (at least not from twitch servers)

ftfy

AnimaL

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

ftfy

lol, i can stream @ 1080p and get no lag on my twitch preview/replay but everyone would whine about freezing cuz lack of bandwith on twitch side

now, i know u got sponsored by twitch and u got nice quality options, but forcing to watch 720p 25fps downsampled audio stream just bcs they have crappy servers seems wierd decision

Last edited by AnimaL,

torden

broder
syster

here are some screen resolution stats from vanillatf2’s user base:

1. 1920×1080: 31.22%
8. 1920×1200: 3.29%
16. 2560×1440: 0.43%

You can expect the majority of these to be running on 1080p capable rigs. (Interestingly enough there are 131 hits with the resolution 5760×1080.)

I wouldn’t know how many of those 1/3 actually view stuff in full resolution. Personally, I tend to see videos in 720p full screen, even if the 1080p is available, just for the sake of quicker loading times.

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from AnimaL

[…]lol, i can stream @ 1080p and get no lag on my twitch preview/replay but everyone would whine about freezing cuz lack of bandwith on twitch side

now, i know u got sponsored by twitch and u got nice quality options, but forcing to watch 720p 25fps downsampled audio stream just bcs they have crappy servers seems wierd decision

lol

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Skyride

This is a discussion I’ve been having with Comedian regarding i46. With the hardware we’re bringing we can theoretically broadcast at 1080p at a fairly high bitrate, but is it worth it over having a higher quality 720p stream? I guess we’ll find out when we get there.

Streaming is entirely different imo. I’d rather see a high bitrate 720p stream with consistently high framerate over a 1080p stream with low fps.

As far as frag movies go, I think the answer at this point in time is quite comfortably no. Sure 1080p looks great, but realistically it’s going to increase the time it takes to do anything by a factor of 2 or 3. Is it worth taking 3 times as long to edit your movie to have 1080p? Nah.

The editing process itself shouldn’t be that much influenced by the resolution of your frames. The render times, yes, but I hope for the fragmovie makers sake that they don’t sit and stare at their screen while they are outputting their video. How can these longer “idle wait” times be so important that the fragmovie quality has to suffer from it?

Until YT allows higher bitrates on their movies we should really compensate for the quality loss by using higher resolutions than what mobile phones can display nowadays.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »