Forum

CTF Done Right

Created 29th December 2009 @ 18:13

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

MangyCarface

Tired of turbine?

Reconstructed atrophy into a symmetrical ctf. Ruleset:
1. Intel rests on payload carts
2. As time passes, these carts move from the inside of your base to its front step, becoming easier to grab
3. The carts stop while the intel is being carried and return to the start when it is captured
4. Return times are 5 seconds
5. Capture zone is separate from your base, and a door slides over it while your intel is away from its cart
6. So to cap, you have to have the enemy flag and ensure they return yours!

It’s basically more like quake ctf than any previous game mode. You can’t turtle because the intel keeps moving forward, and the cart return mechanic means you don’t get capping cycles.
When your flag is grabbed, you can prevent it from being capped by a. guarding their cap zone b. killing the carrier or c. grabbing their flag.
Lots of fun in 6v6 from what I’ve played.

Thread: http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?p=131877
SS: http://forums.tf2maps.net/geek/gars/images/6/8/4/ctf_atrophy_b20000.jpg
DL: http://mangy.2fort2furious.com/ctf_atrophy_b4.bsp.bz2

Last edited by MangyCarface,

danny.

looks kinda cool will try it out later :D

flame

give this gamemode a shot. I’ve played on it numerous times and the mechanic makes it much faster paced than the turtle fests on turbine.

The openness of the bases makes jumping viable almost everywhere and the smaller size of the map makes a lot of classes more viable.

try it out, before you say “oh i fvckin hate ctf”

Black_Bob

[DA]

Just waiting for someon to upload it onto multiplay then ile chuck it onto our servers to see what people thing of it.

numlocked

(king of all rollouts)
Epsilon

looks nice other than the theme.. swampy egypt? :P

Johnny Jackal

Looking forward to testing this if I ever get the chance.
Teams seems afraid to test out new maps, variations of gameplay etc now days.

There is some hidden potential in ctf-tf2.

Memento Mori

looks nice other than the theme.. swampy egypt? :P

de_aztec

MangyCarface

Theme looks better ingame :)

Anyway, if your team has some downtime, or wants to scrim something different for once, pleeeeease give this a try and holler at me with a demo or feedback! ty~

Also thanks in advance black bob!

Last edited by MangyCarface,

IceCube

9g1c

but there is a problem when both teams capture the intel, none of them can bring them back, so they will turtle because they are afraid of losing it. Maybe you can add a timer so that theres is a certain time like 60 sec to cap the intel. Brings in some more speed and prevents turtling
edit: and a “bug”: you get enclosed when you’re in the capture room and both intel are grabbed

Last edited by IceCube,

kolox

obs.

but there is a problem when both teams capture the intel, none of them can bring them back, so they will turtle because they are afraid of losing it. Maybe you can add a timer so that theres is a certain time like 60 sec to cap the intel. Brings in some more speed and prevents turtling
edit: and a “bug”: you get enclosed when you’re in the capture room and both intel are grabbed

This is how ctf is supposed to be played, it encourages players to go kill their intel carrier otherwise they will never get the cap.
To OP, looks nice but wouldnt it be better with a ‘touch the flag to return’ mechanic instead of a timer?

julieN1

cQr

whoa, true ctf at work, great thinking dude! sick of TF2 style ctf.

never made sense to me why you can cap a flag even if you don’t have yours.

Last edited by julieN1,

helberg

Danmark
DANMARK

Hmm this could be really interresting. I think the community should really give it a try, maybe put some more life into tf2 :)

Great idea!

MangyCarface

I considered touch to return, but think about this:

If it’s touch to return, then that means in a 1 on 1 situation it’s simply 1 kill, problem solved. Given a 5s return timer, the offensive team has a chance to respond to that 1 kill and the fragger has the responsibility of guarding the intel for 5s. Makes things intense!

Initially the map was played without “flag at home” required. This made the gameplay wayyy too fast, and limited your options for responding to an intel grab; it was simply kill the carrier or get to their capture zone. Now you have the option of grabbing their flag before they can score.

It leads to confrontations of uber v uber, carrying their flag back into their base sometimes so you can murder their carrier. It gets very exciting this way, instead of simple stalemates :)

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

Sounds and looks awesome TBH, <3 QL CTF.

Hopefully it gets added to the maplist for PU's and gets playtested.

vlad_drac

xoxo

Looks like a pretty cool idea, the only problem i can see is a warsong gulch type situation where you’ve got the enemy flag, they’ve got your flag, and you’re both sat at your respawns holding it.

Do the carts reach a certain point? Can you make it so that, given a stalemate as stated above, you can do a slow and long cart push to get a cap and reset that way? So that you can’t simply turtle with enemy intel. It’d have to be preferable to cap to make sure the map is intel centric, but if possible that could avoid the turtle situations?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »