Forum

Anti Cheat - What would you improve?

Created 8th March 2010 @ 18:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 31 Next »

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Typh0n

Dunno if i made my point clear so i’m just going to sum this up : if only vavle could help a bit with this subject instead of adding useless gadgets or maps it would be great.

Hello, somebody needs to hear about this little thing called VAC.

Imperium

Ok you’re right guys valve has vac which is the ultimate.

It’s clear that VAC doesn’t always work, so surely it would work or help to go cheaters help admins with what cheat (as mentioned) => etf2l => valve? if they can improve vac or help to update it problem solved surely? I am no expert in this field but transferring data onto valve will not harm anything at all and I am presuming it hasn’t been done.

gK

Mc\\\'s

yeah obviously VAC works great…The link sent by Night seems pretty interesting, its in french so if anyone needs a translation of how it works (i mean the admins) let me know.

Typh0n

AUTOBOTS

To everybody who answered “vac” plz think a little bit before answering cause if vac was efficient enough we wouldn’t need to have this kind of conversation.

TopGear

tH

vac is about as effective as an Iraq Anti Aircraft gun, but an anti cheat system you could enable / disable on your steam account that checks for cheats would be nice.

BERSERKER

broder
PRO

I would suggest a panel of experts along with preliminary testing. When a suspected cheater is reported, if you could have two of the experts viewing the ‘evidence’, independently, and make independent decisions (i.e. no discussion of what cheat is being used, ticks or anything like that). If one of them reaches the conclusion that it is suspicious, then the whole panel of experts will be involved.

The panel testing will follow the same procedure, where the two preliminary testers share no information with the rest of the panel, and the remaining experts reach their conclusions independently, and present them afterwards.

If a suspected cheater is moved beyond the preliminary testing (i.e. the rest of the panel will have to make their decision), you could have something like confronting the suspect, allowing them a chance to admit it before a final decision with the reward of reduced penalty (but not too lenient, yet it has to be decent enough for someone to warrant giving up a chance at being found innocent, even if guilty).

edit: There should also be a high percentage requirement from the panel to deem someone a cheater. If it does not go above, say 80%, then he will remain flagged as suspicious and remain under watch. If it goes below, say, 20%, then he will be removed from the list.

Ideally one would want tests that the AC team is doing a good job by having an external reviewer adding (fabricated) demos of cheaters and non-cheaters into the fray, and then judging the AC team’s performance based on their conclusion from the known (fabricated) demos. This would increase the workload quite a bit, and is therefore a somewhat unrealistic quality insurance, yet I believe something of this sort is important.

I do not think it is a necessity to show proof as there will be far too many untrained eyes passing judgment, but I do think an understanding of the mechanics of AC, along with familiarity with the AC team is important. If people have insight into the process and the experts, then they will have more faith in them.

Waster

Didnt read this whole thread in detail. But why not cooperate with other leagues. Not only with the bans, but also to share experience. And if they run tools to detect cheats, why we dont? We can try to work together with American leagues for example. With the loss of anakin etf2l will lack a lot of experience in anti cheat staff, so maybe cooperation is a way to overcome that.

WildCard

Quoted from Waster

Didnt read this whole thread in detail. But why not cooperate with other leagues. Not only with the bans, but also to share experience. And if they run tools to detect cheats, why we dont? We can try to work together with American leagues for example. With the loss of anakin etf2l will lack a lot of experience in anti cheat staff, so maybe cooperation is a way to overcome that.

Love the ESEA client they use over there, http://esportsea.com

alfa

Anything but not Xray.I think that we should stick to AC admins

wai

TEZC
TEZC

i think some sort of testing process will be good D2M to help with the ac-team recruitment, maybe draw up a testing system, put some clips in there for example, what can you see?, did you see anything? etc.. obviously a few more AC related questions i cant think of many other than that and maybe testing their knowledge of the cheating world; example- How many cheats do you know of?, what does each cheat do? etc

then get the results back from the candidates and see who has high scores/natural eye towards it, then follow those people up, and bring them into full AC Recruitment
i guess that would be a easier way to filter thru the people who WANT to help, but dont really have much knowledge/an eye for it.

Imperium

Quoted from Waster

if they run tools to detect cheats, why we dont?

Because in the end they are a hassle for everyone and deter people from the league (including cheaters admittedly). If one league runs it for a person, we don’t need it to be done a 2nd time in a different league.

compton

cvx|

The AC team should approach cheating with no feelings whatsoever. The people who “hate” cheaters and think it’s OK to make mistakes that hurt innocent players just for the sake of catching a few more cheaters should never be AC admins. Just because you’re enthusiastic doesn’t mean you do your job well. The same effect happens with some police officers / security guards that abuse their power in the name of fighting crime.

In my opinion, it’s better to have 50% more cheaters in ETF2L than to ban a single innocent player. Working behind closed doors is much more of a threat for the league than cheaters.

quad

Quoted from compton

The AC team should approach cheating with no feelings whatsoever. The people who “hate” cheaters and think it’s OK to make mistakes that hurt innocent players just for the sake of catching a few more cheaters should never be AC admins. Just because you’re enthusiastic doesn’t mean you do your job well. The same effect happens with some police officers / security guards that abuse their power in the name of fighting crime.

In my opinion, it’s better to have 50% more cheaters in ETF2L than to ban a single innocent player. Working behind closed doors is much more of a threat for the league than cheaters.

Iller: Do I believe that Quad cheats ? yes
Can I be 100% sure ? No. It is about judgement as it has to be, especially without any anticheat system.
Does one possibly faulty misstake make the whole system wrong ?
Absolutely not.

By these words, he says that banning innocent people is not wrong..

But I’m a huge supporter of anti cheat software, so it can be technical evidence you’re banning people on, instead of relying on possible wrong human factor.
In fact, I dident know that so many anti cheat softwares was made for Team Fortress 2.

gregz

Last edited by gregz,

the bm man

k^m

That idea doesn’t really work because if someone is suspected of being cheating and they know it, and are being forced to run an anti cheat program if they do cheat they will obviously stop for games they have to run it.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 31 Next »