x
ETF2L is looking for new Staff to recruit! Are you interested in supporting the league? Then click here for more details on what we can offer and how to apply! 

Forum

FAO Highlanders and Lan Goers!

Created 8th March 2012 @ 12:39

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Hi Everyone

I’m Tapley, you may remember me from such videos as “Chris In A Wheelchair: Animals A Bastard” and “Comedian Goes Bin Diving” .

I bring to you a suggestion/discussion. If a decent highlander tournament was to appear at I46 (this August) would anyone be interested?

– Would you play this instead of 6v6?
– Would you come specifically for Highlander?

Do people think this is a good idea? its always good to explore more options to get extra tf2’ers at lan. Obviously getting 6 people to lan is hard enough and 9 could pose a problem, is this somthing in that interests highlander players or do they purely want to play games offline? If there were a large pool of mercs etc that could fill any gaps to help teams attend?
There would be a seperate competition and if enough interest a seperate prize pot from 6v6. Or you could just make it an excuse to meet onlien friends irl and have some drinks/games.

Or am i asking in the wrong place, i don’t know much about the highlander community, is SPUF a bad place to ask this? and is UGC just full of yanks? Pretty much the same amount of players have signed up for Highlander as they have 6v6 on etf2l is lan missing a whole demographic here?

Please upvote my reddit highlander post!
http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/qoukr/worlds_first_offline_tf2_highlander_tournament/

Last edited by Tapley ❤,

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Eh link to Comedian goes bin diving?

Black_Bob

[DA]

Highlander would rock :D

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from Admirable

Eh link to Comedian goes bin diving?

Youtube it, Tapley pushing comedian in a bin or somthing ^_^

IPZIE

SUAVE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibMFvS1VUJc

this is evil evil

Hello good sir.

I think the highlander game mode is in a more casual state as things stand now. Many of the highlander teams is public community formed teams, therefore, it’s people from all around the world you see join highlander, and it’s usually public gamers that wants to have some fun. I don’t think it is quite ready to take the next step into being an eSport gamemode just yet, but it it was, it would be so cool! I really enjoy the highlander gamemode, and it brings the fun out in TF2!

To answer your questions:
-Yes, I would much rather play highlander than 6vs6
-I would specifically come to the LAN if there was a highlander tournament. But seeing as the LAN is being hosted so close to me, I will solo-join this springs i45 LAN. http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/239/d/f/forever_alone_by_foreveraloneplz.png

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Maybe not so much trying to make it the next “esport” but at least to give people the platform or excuse to go to lans and meet their team mates, get drunk have fun or whatever. Theres lots of public clans that come to lan just to drink a few beers with each other and a few of them make a 6v6 teams but if we also introduced 9v9 this may spark more interest in those public gamers. Espcially if we advertise it as all unlocks allowed (reading SPUF it seems unlocks are a big reason they dont attempt to play 6v6 etc)

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

What about some sort of show match at an i-Series event?

Hildreth

Pander
Pander

Tapley

Replace the consolation fun tournament with a Highlander event for communities to participate in. Most community teams tend to be knocked out by the group stages so it would be ideal for them to have a mini at-LAN tournament. That would be good fun – maybe even getting some mini sponsorship for it (something small like a game as a prize) if communities who normally play HL want to turn up just to sign up for it the HL we can encourage them to play the 6v6 game as well.

Otherwise we won’t be getting the best HL teams in the world at i46, I am sure most of SNSD will come but no Colony, no Turbopoop, maybe a few people from May Contain Nuts. Can’t have much of a spectacle without the best teams in attendance.

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

do both? (6vs6 + highlander)

Last edited by T0m,

Skyride

DUCS

While hosting highlander online might be reasonable enough, the average highlander player is vastly more casual than the average 6v6 player. I highly doubt you’ll have people turn up specifically because there is a highlander tournament on. The size of highlander is vastly overrated simply because of the gimmicky ways in which leagues promote the leagues (medals and such). If they were ran with the same kind of prizes and (non-gameplay related) rules that 6v6 tournaments are ran with, I’m sure you’d see a much smaller highlander community than the existing 6v6 one.

Comedian

i’d like to see a small highlander tournament, it would be very easy to promote and hype up on the less competitive TF2 sites since it would be the first instance of highlander at a LAN event.

8 highlander teams, either signed up as highlander or created by fun teams kicked out of the group stage, it will be pretty cool! broadcast the finals on saturday evening after (or before) lower bracket finals or something

TurboTabs

(Classy)
BEER

Quoted from Black_Bob

Highlander would rock :D

Bob! ClanCrazy Highlander assemble!

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

A show match might be a good idea, but we really need it to be at lan with 2 decent highlander teams playing each other (is that possible?), with some shoutcasting/stream and possibly an external camera? Otherwise when highlander players view it and just see another “show match” thats not really a hook to make them come to lan specfically.
However with an external camera showing the 9 guys in a row playing each of their classes seeing them shout when they get a sentry airshot (hai2ucube). Maybe interview a couple as to why playing highlander at lan is cool/fun?

Is UGC or SPUF a central area for highlander discussions? To perhaps advertise the tournament and get some feedback?

Last edited by Tapley ❤,

Comedian

as far as shoutcasting goes, if its planned in the schedule and we have time for it, vanillatv will do its best to cover it. but like always, can’t promise anything really

anyway, i’d go for UGC and reddit

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »