Forum

ETF2L Mapping Contest

Created 10th February 2009 @ 21:52

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Akill

ill see about making a change to the time limit over the weekend then

Bury

agreed with vilepickle, I’ve not got passed capture two on my map after about 2 weeks simply because i’ve other things (and i assume most people) to do

it’s fine saying only the basic layout needs doing, but when mapping it’s totally different as aesthetics will generally alter the map design structure eventually

thaldarin

I’ve got a pretty busy work schedule and another Source project booting up (Watch out in Fall/Winter ’09 for something special to do with Headcrabs on the Steam announcement page) at the moment.

I will probably give it a go but it will be very ugly for now atleast.

EDIT:

Curiousity makes me ask how long will be given for someone to make the map aestetically apetising to ones own eye after, after the submission date? :)

ikem

so did i get kicked from the compitition? cuz my thread got deleted if so plz state y

Akill

wtf?i have no idea why, ill find out.

wer

tfortress.no

I guess someone acidentaly deleted the thread (has happened before :P)

Ezekel

are multiple entries allowed?

Defur

Um, after this, is it possible to make the same type of map contest, but with Arena maps?

Would bring much more attention to those maps, and there actually is a few of them that are really good. :D

b Mar d

Look at TF2 Maps.net. They are the largest TF2 mapping group out there. They gave 4 months for their payload mapping contest, and look what came out! Some amazing maps! You really need a while. And for all you non-mappers out there, basic layout = just that. No textures, no niceness, no optimizing FPS, the map is probably broken and has leaks all over, no signs to move, no finer balancing points like health packs, sniper line of sight, cover height, and many other problems.

You really 2-3 months to make a playable map, and 3-4 months to make something that could hold a candle to a Valve map.

Zipok

After this contest is over.. you should host another, but with Attack & Defend maps! Gravelpit is the only map of that genre which is getting competitive love at this moment, and it would be refreshing to see what the community mappers can do to help the case.

And yeah, 3-5 months would be nice, to get some top notch quality maps. Perhaps announce a mapping contest at the beginning of a league season, and at the end of the next season you could host a maptesting cup? Would bring out some fresh maps for the upcoming season.

P.S. The reason for not agreeing with arena maps is that those aren’t used for the actual 6on6 league matches.

b Mar d

Also, such little time puts some mappers at a disadvantage.

I am currently working on a dm and ctf maps, but this contest has inspired me to make a 5 point cp map. I’m still in the concept stage of this map, and running out of time.

Other mappers who have already been working on a 5 point cp map get a huge head start on this competition, and if they’ve already finished the layout, they have a good amount of time to texture the map and fix the bugs, unlike me, who has had no time.

Another problem I’ve forgot about not having enough time, bugs in the map. A 1 month old map will be riddled with bugs, and no fun or too broken to play.

thaldarin

Aesthetics will make TF2 maps. Basic layouts etc. will never be a true foresight of how the end map will play.

If you intend to do enter I’d suggest you hammer something pretty out as quick as possible or increase the time limit on the competition to allow lower-level designers a chance to create something. It took me 3 days to make a pretty CP1 and I baleeted it straight away ;)

Puppets

whos hasnt started yet i believe shouldnt enter anymore anyway ;) i think its quiet possible to finish your map till end of this month (atleast for me, sry for not having a rl.exe :F ) oh and i do still play a match from sun to thurs and go out on the weekend ;)

Randdalf

(0v0)

It’s rather frantic work, I would no way have made the original deadline, but I at least now have a sporting chance to finish the detaling and perhaps a further beta :O

RaCio

GoT²

If I read correctly you can still update a map after the 29th.
The early date is also fair to maps that won’t make it. Only 4 mappers will need to do the hard job of optimizing the map.

“Aesthetics will make TF2 maps.”
For pubs maybe.

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »