x
ETF2L is looking for new Staff to recruit! Are you interested in supporting the league? Then click here for more details on what we can offer and how to apply! 

Forum

Clean Fortress

Created 11th September 2013 @ 11:02

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Paymh

Hello friends, somebody just linked me this thread thought I would negate some of the things that have been said and provide some more information. So firstly, this type of modification has been around since 2011, which can be seen by the No Hats modification here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24233177&posted=1#post24233177 which has been immensely popular for people with bad computers or just don’t like hats.

Basically the dx80.vtx, dx90.vtx and sw.vtx are created when an mdl file is compiled, and outlined the vertices I assume, been a while since I’ve worked on this. What Clean Fortress and the No Hats Mod does, is make these file empty. This works as it seems the engine does not reload models until a map change despite coming from sv_pure 0 to 2 etc etc.

Secondly, the exe is no more than a downloader of the files, which downloads the preload map, the soundscapes (which removes ambient noises) and creates the vtx files as they are just empty files. I can definitely understand the suspicion people have about it. I probably wouldn’t use it either. But I made it purely to autoupdate for mates when I was working on it actively and also for a bit of fun.

At its current state I have stopped working on it, because it is often quite inconsistent of whether it will work for just one map change or multiple, and for some it doesn’t work at all. If anybody does show interest though I will be happy to upload the soundscapes, the vpk which I use now instead of loose files and the preload map.

Feel free to add me on steam or post here if you have any questions!

Swedish Santa

It is a nice idea, and I like it.

However, I like my hats and baloonicorn far too much in order to install it.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from doks

[…]

When Casual introduced his way to play with fov130 after the “fix” everyone shit their pants because it was an .exe
Heh good times. As i remember that was the backbone of arguments against it.

What casual did was dodgy regardless of how he did it. You’re right, people did shit their pants because it was a .exe. That is also exactly the point I was making.

ondkaja

.:[aAa]:.

Quoted from Paymh

Hello friends, somebody just linked me this thread thought I would negate some of the things that have been said and provide some more information. So firstly, this type of modification has been around since 2011, which can be seen by the No Hats modification here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24233177&posted=1#post24233177 which has been immensely popular for people with bad computers or just don’t like hats.

Basically the dx80.vtx, dx90.vtx and sw.vtx are created when an mdl file is compiled, and outlined the vertices I assume, been a while since I’ve worked on this. What Clean Fortress and the No Hats Mod does, is make these file empty. This works as it seems the engine does not reload models until a map change despite coming from sv_pure 0 to 2 etc etc.

Secondly, the exe is no more than a downloader of the files, which downloads the preload map, the soundscapes (which removes ambient noises) and creates the vtx files as they are just empty files. I can definitely understand the suspicion people have about it. I probably wouldn’t use it either. But I made it purely to autoupdate for mates when I was working on it actively and also for a bit of fun.

At its current state I have stopped working on it, because it is often quite inconsistent of whether it will work for just one map change or multiple, and for some it doesn’t work at all. If anybody does show interest though I will be happy to upload the soundscapes, the vpk which I use now instead of loose files and the preload map.

Feel free to add me on steam or post here if you have any questions!

Can you explain more in depth how this works? Basically the same as no hats?

Last edited by ondkaja,

Paymh

Quoted from ondkaja

[…]

Can you explain more in depth how this works? Basically the same as no hats?

Exactly the same method, removes the vertices hence making the engine not render the model, atleast I assume thats what vtx means; as I said it’s been a while since I’ve looked into it.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2