x
ETF2L is looking for new Staff to recruit! Are you interested in supporting the league? Then click here for more details on what we can offer and how to apply! 

Forum

#octotf2.pickup

Created 10th October 2011 @ 16:42

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

octochris

(0v0)

#octotf2.pickup started out at 1am today because the bot in #pixeltf2.pickup went down. Now we have a semi-functional bot, and I’m looking to make this an enjoyable place to play pickups for all.

The main differences between this and Pixel:

– Stable servers with good routing.
– The bot is freely licensed under a 2-clause BSD-like license.
– !friend system for medics (you may select one person you wish to be on a team with).
– Player enjoyability system.

Right now I am still finishing the bot, but it should be done soon (it is functional now, but is missing features).

Some more information on the enjoyability system: I will still be implementing the traditional !report method for people not obeying the rules, however, I want to make these pickups not only tolerable, but the most enjoyable pickup experience out there. To do this, I will be implementing a player ‘enjoyability’ rating from 1/5. At the end of each match, the bot will ask you to submit ratings for each player that played on your team, on a scale of 1 (not enjoyable to play with them) to 5 (very much enjoy playing with them). Players with a score below a certain threshold will be submitted for admin review, and may be banned until they become enjoyable to play with.

Feel free to join the channel, but remember, it isn’t finished yet!

What else would people like to see in a pickup? What else do you feel other pickups are doing wrong that we could do right?

Sylosin

MEAT
evCon.

Quoted from octochris

– The bot is freely licensed under a 2-clause BSD-like license.

That’s it, #pixeltf2.pickup is finished

Ash

cc//
cc//

Quoted from octochris

Players with a score below a certain threshold will be submitted for admin review, and may be banned until they become enjoyable to play with.

How will people know if someone is enjoyable to play with if they are banned, or will that be dealt with by admin review?
Aside from this i think this is awesome and has pretty much everything we could want :P

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Ash

[…]
How will people know if someone is enjoyable to play with if they are banned, or will that be dealt with by admin review?
Aside from this i think this is awesome and has pretty much everything we could want :P

They would have to reapply and would be issued with a temporary invite. Then people at the end would be asked “was X enjoyable to play with”, and if it hasn’t improved, etc, etc.

AnimaL

needs coloring

rytis

PrettyGay

What else would people like to see in a pickup? What else do you feel other pickups are doing wrong that we could do right?
balanced pickups. I do not enjoy pickups when they end in 10 minutes.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from rytis

balanced pickups. I do not enjoy pickups when they end in 10 minutes.

Do you feel a captains system provides such an outcome?

Skyride

DUCS

I’d just like to pre-emptively put the hammer down on any “drama” by saying that I’m totally ok with this. If we end up with one channel dying out, that’s fine. If we end up with 2 slightly different services, even better.

Either way, I’m just going to let the people decide which service they prefer. Whatever happens, it’ll be the best for TF2 since it was a democratic decision.

edit: Although I should add Pixel Pickup is sorted now. Quakenet made some changes that broke the bot, and it took me a few days to get around to sorting it properly, but it should be fine now.

Last edited by Skyride,

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

Captains system would be good, but surely that could result in people being left out?

I know they run a similar system in NA so maybe it does work well.

IPZIE

SUAVE

skyride i love you.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Skyride

I’d just like to pre-emptively put the hammer down on any “drama” by saying that I’m totally ok with this. If we end up with one channel dying out, that’s fine. If we end up with 2 slightly different services, even better.

Either way, I’m just going to let the people decide which service they prefer. Whatever happens, it’ll be the best for TF2 since it was a democratic decision.

edit: Although I should add Pixel Pickup is sorted now. Quakenet made some changes that broke the bot, and it took me a few days to get around to sorting it properly, but it should be fine now.

Should also add that me and Skyride are working together to make both channels operate smoothly with each other for players using both services.

hans

Captains system would require the captains to know the people in the pickup though…

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from hans

Captains system would require the captains to know the people in the pickup though…

Maybe a skill recommendation could be implemented based on ETF2L profile.

MIndYe

[hePPa]

A captain system + class adding + friends can be a bit hard to organize. If it works, superb.

rytis

PrettyGay

Quoted from octochris

[…]

Do you feel a captains system provides such an outcome?

I sadly I don’t know how it works. But if it works as I think it does , captains can choose the players they know, not giving a fuck about the balance of the pickup.
imho the best system would be skill by your etf2l profile or the current div you are in.

Last edited by rytis,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »