x
ETF2L is looking for new Staff to recruit! Are you interested in supporting the league? Then click here for more details on what we can offer and how to apply! 

Forum

1on1 Scout Whiskas Cup #2 - Win up to $1000

Created 10th July 2011 @ 16:07

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Linus

[d¿s]

Quoted from Sideshow

I was out at the time, missed it.

well, that’s your easy $500 gone then mate

Sketch

MM

Installing wire! I don’t think so lol, anyway I can probably aim ok without it.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from xerxes

Out of something around 350 sign up’s only 150 made it through the check in.

It’s sad to see, so here is my question: Why?

Beside the normal amount of people dropping out at the beginn of a cup I am pretty sure a very huge amount of people forgot about the chickin.

To my mind a checkin for a non one day cup is nonsense.

What are your thoughts?

It’s actually pretty good to have a check-in. Saved me from sitting on a server for 20min waiting for somebody that wasn’t going to show anyway.

You all had an e-mail that same day, so even when you were out you could have seen it on your phone or something. You also was informed about it when you signed-up. I guess clicking a button was to hard, just like everything is to hard to figure out for the tf2 community.

Quoted from Sketch

Installing wire! I don’t think so lol, anyway I can probably aim ok without it.

We already know you hate esl/wire/theworld, so why bother posting?

Last edited by Koeitje,

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Quoted from Linus

[…]

well, that’s your easy $500 gone then mate

I could taste that money I was so close…

AnAkkk

Last time we didn’t use the Check-In, I seeded around 512 players. More than half of them didn’t show up on the first round (I don’t have the number, but I think it was probably around 60-70%), and it took us a very long time to go through 256 matches and give default win on the ones that didn’t show up. This is why Check-In was needed.

Now, if you didn’t Check-In, it’s not our fault, it was written in the news + in the email and I wrote it on ETF2L and gotfrag as well. I even accepted some people that forgot to Check-In and contacted me on IRC 1 hour after it started.

Skully

Quoted from Forsak3n

[…]
same here.

Qun

GoT<3

Started too early for me, that’s why I didn’t check in.

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

We were meant to check in?

L-iNC

Quoted from xerxes

Out of something around 350 sign up’s only 150 made it through the check in.

It’s sad to see, so here is my question: Why?

ESL Wire

xerxes

WWCD
n2o

Quoted from Koeitje

[…]

It’s actually pretty good to have a check-in. Saved me from sitting on a server for 20min waiting for somebody that wasn’t going to show anyway.

You all had an e-mail that same day, so even when you were out you could have seen it on your phone or something. You also was informed about it when you signed-up. I guess clicking a button was to hard, just like everything is to hard to figure out for the tf2 community.

[…]
We already know you hate esl/wire/theworld, so why bother posting?

Quoted from AnAkkk

Last time we didn’t use the Check-In, I seeded around 512 players. More than half of them didn’t show up on the first round (I don’t have the number, but I think it was probably around 60-70%), and it took us a very long time to go through 256 matches and give default win on the ones that didn’t show up. This is why Check-In was needed.

Now, if you didn’t Check-In, it’s not our fault, it was written in the news + in the email and I wrote it on ETF2L and gotfrag as well. I even accepted some people that forgot to Check-In and contacted me on IRC 1 hour after it started.

The email was pretty pathetic. When you sign up for an event you can easily forget to check in when the signup was 3 weeks before.
To promote such a big event with only one single email to remember to check in is simply not a very good organisation.

Also as mentioned before when you do a checkin for a non one-day-cup you should have to do it every playday and not only at the first day. You only kicked out a massiv amount of players who could have played their matches before the second playday.

Of course I know that you have much work with all the droppers but now we will never know how many would have shown up.

If you do a checkin do a proper one.

xerxes

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

So you get hooked up with an opponent that doesn’t respond? And forces the admins into editing 150 protests on a deadline (2 days later, the next play day)? That is simply unrealistic.

And as Anakin already said: he manually added people that didn’t sign in. So even if you’d forgotten to sign in but didn’t forget the cup was that evening you could still play.

I do find it funny that when ESL employs means to provide a smooth cup experience for the players people whine like hell, but when a cup completely fails everything is cool.

Last edited by Koeitje,

xerxes

WWCD
n2o

Quoted from Koeitje

So you get hooked up with an opponent that doesn’t respond? And forces the admins into editing 150 protests on a deadline (2 days later, the next play day)? That is simply unrealistic.

And as Anakin already said: he manually added people that didn’t sign in. So even if you’d forgotten to sign in but didn’t forget the cup was that evening you could still play.

I do find it funny that when ESL employs means to provide a smooth cup experience for the players people whine like hell, but when a cup completely fails everything is cool.

Sorry dude. I am not whining at all. I simply gave my feedback. Take it or leave it. I have quite some admin experience myself and for cup orga it is (atleast it would for me) the biggest reward to have a huge cup.

But the checkin kicked out 200 players. And at least 3 mentioned in this thread that they simply forgot because it has been a small sentence on the signup page and one simple reminding email.

I bet that at least 100 of the players who got kicked out would have played their matches so the checkin was a failure.

A sign-up is the right thing for a one-day-cup. But not for a cup that lasts over more than one evening.

What is the diference between players that don’t show up at the first day and player who dosn’t show up at the second or later? There is no difference. So to my mind it’s simple. Checkin YES for one day cups. If you want a checkin formulti-day-cups you have to make a signin at every playday. Otherwise its simply nonsense.

But to come back to my first sentence I just wanted to give feedback.

Sers!

xerxes

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

There has been a check-in button on the cups sign-up/mainpage since it has been announced….

And why a check-in for every day? This just cleared out all the people that didn’t really want to compete (the ones that did got in touch on irc).

edit: non-checked in players couldn’t have played their matches because the matches wouldn’t show in wire due to not being seeded.

Last edited by Koeitje,

Dummy

Quoted from xerxes

[…]

Sorry dude. I am not whining at all. I simply gave my feedback. Take it or leave it. I have quite some admin experience myself and for cup orga it is (atleast it would for me) the biggest reward to have a huge cup.

But the checkin kicked out 200 players. And at least 3 mentioned in this thread that they simply forgot because it has been a small sentence on the signup page and one simple reminding email.

I bet that at least 100 of the players who got kicked out would have played their matches so the checkin was a failure.

A sign-up is the right thing for a one-day-cup. But not for a cup that lasts over more than one evening.

What is the diference between players that don’t show up at the first day and player who dosn’t show up at the second or later? There is no difference. So to my mind it’s simple. Checkin YES for one day cups. If you want a checkin formulti-day-cups you have to make a signin at every playday. Otherwise its simply nonsense.

But to come back to my first sentence I just wanted to give feedback.

Sers!

xerxes

so your argument is based on you assuming that being reminded twice is not enough and ESL should spam you every day so you don’t forget, or what? you’re whining about not being treated like an idiot who needs to be reminded in big shiny letters every day about something to not forget it.
You obviously have a very bad memory like me, so why don’t you write stuff down? you know, you see something important like this check-in, and put in as a memo on your phone or whatever, voila, day comes up, you see it on your schedule. I mean are you honestly blaming ESL for having a bad memory? I would understand if it was not mentioned or unclear but you were reminded twice, it was in the rules all the time, and as someone above me said there was a check-in button on the ESL site all the time.

fe

check in is a good idea, but it must be longer, cuz people may be busy at that time and anyway, you have enough time to play 1st round, no reason to force people to play at the default date.

Last edited by fe,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »