Forum

How to become a sticky master ?

Created 16th May 2015 @ 02:27

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

fl0w

Hey guys, first post here about a subject which may seem a bit weird to some of you.

I’m rerolling to demoman atm and I am really uncomfortable with my sticky launcher. And that can be seen on my logs. I’m pretty good with pipes tho.

I wanted to know how you deal with these stickies guys. And also do you have some tips on how to use them ?
How do you train your aim with stickies ?

To finish I wanted to say I’m really aware that aim is not the most important thing as a demo but it’s a real problem for me. And I know that brain is really important as a demo to be at the correct place on an accurate situation.

Cheers, FloW.

Setlet

I think no one will be bothered to trying to give you some magical aim analysis on stickies (I’d love to do one but it would most likely be just nonsense and without any video clips it won’t be worth it). What I can say is that just practice, practice and practice.

You can play MGE with stickies (make sure to ask your opponent first, so they know what to expect). Or pubs.

Just to say at least one protip: You shouldn’t destroy badly aimly stickies, unless they are in the way. They might be useful later. Especially in a scout fight.

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs

hr

Quoted from Setlet

You can play MGE with stickies (make sure to ask your opponent first, so they know what to expect). Or pubs.

No you just do it and then when idiots shit talk you for it you explain to them why they are stupid for expecting you not to use your primary.

Zesty

(blaster)
open
bobs

Aim stickies at areas of the map, not so much at people when you’re doing spam/on midfights and stuff. When someone’s chasing you down put them on the floor. When someone’s not chasing you down but you’re aiming a specific person try and aim to have the sticky hit the area of the map over and slightly behind them, this is probably the best angle unless you’re trying not to get close Flick much harder with stickies than you would with pipes, I actually pivot my mouse on my wrist for stickies but my elbow for pipes.
Quickly flick your mouse just before letting go with the sticky, you can kind of arc them upwards by doing this, but you can also put them on the floor quickly or behind you quickly.
When charging stickies you don’t need to arc upwards as much but you still can, often you can aim for the floor with charged stickies.
Don’t point and aim with stickies like you would with basically any other weapon. I can’t really describe this, but I aim stickies completely different to rockets, pipes and hitscan. It’s more like how you would aim when doing airstrafing, jumping and movement. I might suggest doing jump maps to practice sticky aim honestly as it helps you know where your stickies are going to go which is more important than dming with them a lot of the time.

.zero

-chess-

32 player instant respawn server. gogo.

Fuxx

REMOVE

Quoted from hr

[…]
No you just do it and then when idiots shit talk you for it you explain to them why they are stupid for expecting you not to use your primary.

tbh sticky MGE is some cancerous shit

Though if I’m running pipes only and the enemy soldier/scout decides to use their secondary then I’ll use stickies too, it’s only fair

As for being a “Stick master”, it’s difficult to guarantee that your first sticky will always hit due to the wway the weapon works. I can’t be bothered to go into a lot of detail about “sticky aim” but there are some tricks e-thug told me that really made a huge difference.

1) Charge your stickies, the damage will stack up even if you fire from afar
2) Reload all of your stickies at once

Kaidus relies heavily on stickies from what I’ve seen and he has this trick where he shoots one sticky very up high then another slightly lower, so both of them fall on the target at the same time when he detonates, surprising people who weren’t expecting to lose so much health. Just check his youtube channel and you might get some ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/user/KaidusDorito/videos

AB

why is practicing your main weapon cancerous lol

Fuxx

REMOVE

Quoted from AB

why is practicing your main weapon cancerous lol

Because you went from a fast paced mode of precision aim to something more spammy-spammy and slower paced. It’s frustrating to the opponent, and in some DM servers measures have been used to kill the sticky demos.

I will agree however that without MGE and without DM, a demo main doesn’t really have anywhere to go to practice stickies. I used to make up for up by doing demo jump maps (shit as I was), as they do give you a greater “feel” of the sticky range, speed, radius, etc. and this is useful for things other than jumps.

.kr4tos

(ETF2L Donator)
FLANK
DGB

i used to practise my sticky aim on public servers or tr_walkway

you cant really practise it on a dm server or mge, its just cancer.

people who are saying you dont need to aim to shoot stickies, are retarded.

its also a lot about prediction though. like you have to know what you enemy is going to do next.
like on midfights for example you should have an idea where the enemy scouts are going / the enemy soldiers are going to bomb to get their highergrounds, and you have to deny them from going there with stickies.

also you could go onto an empty server, and like position yourself where you often have fights going and then try and hit a point on the map and see how much you have to charge it to actually hit that point,
like on badlands from jumppad, onto the spire or stuff like that.
GL!

Last edited by .kr4tos,

damneasy

jump maps

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Just practice, if you play in pubs or walkway you learn to do it one particular way versus certain movement patterns on certain environments. If you can be good at being consistent on hitting the “easy” shots, you’re halfway there but as you climb the levels easy shots/damage becomes harder and harder to find in games then you really have to step your game up.

I personally based my game around consistently hitting easy shots and damage when it presented itself and baiting myself for scouts. But TF2 changes, so if you want to improve versus players with good movement skills, find a scout partner and go on MGE, or just practice a lot in PUG’s or pcws.

Even watching your own demos or videos/demos of other demos doing it will help you learn, one of the keys for Sticky aim is to know when to fire a sticky at a moving target and when not to. Some people#s objective might be for you to shoot them and enable their team to move in because you’re looking at them. Some might just aim to make you fire your clip so always stay at a range where you got a low percentage chance of hitting them.

One thing about Stickies, at a certain range if you fight a scout, if that class wants to dodge you, they will if they possess good enough movement skills. Most good demos use stickies to zone their opponents out and force them into moving in a particular way which makes the next shot easier (with pipes) or forces them not to contest the area. I always think damage is victory as good as a frag, you do 80 damage to a scout they will be more cautious or retreat, which can be as valuable as a frag in that current situation….important to never lose position just to gain a frag.

fl0w

I’m gonna bump this a little.

First I wanted to thank all of you guys for answering me nicely, and giving me useful tips that already made me improve a lot.

But I still have problems on my logs about my dpm which is low and even when watching demos and trying to solve the problem I cannot find any solution. Ideas ?
Also do you think a higher sens is better for a demo ? Or should I lower it a bit ?

Cheers, FloW.

repu

try not to change your sens too much, but from what i have seen many demos use around 10-16 cm/360.

i recommend jump maps, but generally you should just play the game. eventually you will probably rely more and more on your stickies.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Practise?

DPM isn’t the most important stat, a lot of Demo’s do a lot of “dead time” damage, where they spam stickies and pipes during stalemates and before pushes/engangements. The theory behind it is you’re always putting your opponent under pressure and letting them know you’re there, also the Medic has to keep healing the person taking damage, slowing buffs to the flanks etc

It is overall a very small thing, generally DPM isn’t the most vital stat, if you do 6.5k damage, take smaller percentage of the heals and have a low amount of deaths, good KA/D ration and your team wins comfortably like 5-1, 5-2 sort of score, you’ve done nothing wrong. If you’re low damaging and you got quite a high number of deaths, your team losing, drawing or winning narrowly, something wrong with your game. Or if you take a large amount of heals and statistically it’s not impressive, something wrong with your game.

Think focus should be keeping the deaths down, die at the same time as your team if you commit to a push and lose, stay alive in every other instance.

If you want to increase DPM, don’t set sticky traps up and spam, you’ll do 1-2k more damage per match probably but won’t have as much effect. Otherwise practise your aim and when to engage.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »