Forum

Computer crashes when playing certain games

Created 7th August 2012 @ 14:28

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Genmix

bobs

I am in need of a bit of guidance with this problem,
because I can’t seem to put my finger on what’s wrong.

Basically my pc crashes when I play games on high detail,
when I play GTA IV my pc sometimes crashes after 2 hours, or after 15 minutes, there does not seem to be a certain timeframe.
I also have this problem in blacklight retribution, but not in games that require less resources (i.e. counterstrike:source).
My pc used to crash while playing TF2 on high detail as well, but when I used Chris’ highfps config it stopped crashing.

What happens is that sometimes My screen just goes black, and the sound starts looping, there are no bluescreens or anything. A couple of times I got grey bars across my screen when it locked up, but it’s mostly just a black screen. In some occasions my pc locks up completely, but it keeps playing the sound it was playing till the end (like a cinematic conversation in GTA IV) and then it just stops responding.

This is a completely new PC, except for the case and the HDD.

System Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
CPU: Intel i5 2500k @3,30Ghz (not OC)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850
RAM: 4096 DDR3 1333hz

My mouse is a razer imperator and my keyboard is a generic logitech one

I have tried doing a rollback on my GPU drivers but that did not work, I also tried using different RAM sticks etc.

Any ideas on how to resolve this or do I have a faulty GPU/CPU which I need to send back to replace?

Thanks in advance

Waebi

‹Con›

what’s the temperature on your components (idle/full load playing) ?

Genmix

bobs

I havent seen any temps exceed 50°C when I checked right after a crash.
I do not think that is terribly high for a GPU/CPU

george

below 80 – 85 °C it’s all good :D

Genmix

bobs

So I guess overheating is ruled out

fuo

iSlam
BUNCS

Check google for “7850 no signal” or “7850 black screen” – loads of people are having the same problem on the same card, as well as on the 7870. Some posts suggest it could be driver-related, so maybe try running a driver cleaner and re-installing them; failing that I’d get a replacement card.

Genmix

bobs

I have found numerous people that have exactly the same problems with exactly the same video card, it seems the entire gigabyte 7850 line is suffering from this, and from what I read even asking for a replacement card doesnt resolve the issue. Balls.

Add A Reply Pages: 1