Forum

What?! By Salade Au Thon & .Cali

Created 29th September 2013 @ 20:02

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

.Cali

TF2Co

I will do a new render in maximum quality and I will change some records where framerate are a bit low, then I will upload a download link yes :)

VinuJ

Very amazing never seen one like this before :D

gotta go fast

some critics coming, sry

good:
– something different on competition, not another fragshow (actually just fragshow with sfm cause fragparts are not edited at all)
– good usage of sfm. some scenes look really good

bad:
– transitions between sfm scenes and game render are rough (this motion blur on sfm render is awful)
– bad sync with music (or there’s no sync at all)
– camera paths and animations are too linear and looks very ugly
– overused pop music (why you even didn’t use madeon or liquid d’n’b)
– fading from first to second song is too long
– fucking awful model and particles on 0:36
– conception of sfm scenes doesn’t have any point. there’s no any sense in it. engineer has seen some shit. that’s all. ok.
– mediocre frags. airshot, airshot, one more airshot.

overall 5-6/10
it’s best moooovie evar for tf2 community so faaaaaar but i can’t see anything unique and creative in it.
*i’m so jelly ofc*

Last edited by gotta go fast,

Salade au thon

‹BG>

bad:
– transitions between sfm scenes and game render are rough (this motion blur on sfm render is awful)

Man, it’s quite impossible to make the exact same scene on sfm. Especially when there particles systems

– bad sync with music (or there’s no sync at all)

If you make a really good sync you need to edit your fragclip, thnig that we didn’t want to do because the sfm have already a important part in the movie. If we did, it would have been too overedited and we wanted that frags be easilly understandable. That’s the reason why it’s a simple sync.

– camera paths and animations are too linear and looks very ugly

I agree for cameras, I don’t have a good enough pc for puppeteering cameras. But can you tell me which animation scene is too linear for you ?

– overused pop music (why you even didn’t use madeon or liquid d’n’b)

I think parov stelar stick perfectlly with this kind of movie

– fucking awful model and particles on 0:36

I bring this head model back from meet the soldier. And i didn’t have enough time to make custom models and particles system. (modeling is not my cup of tea)

– conception of sfm scenes doesn’t have any point. there’s no any sense in it. engineer has seen some shit. that’s all. ok.

If you want a stong story telling, come back to me after saxxy awards. Here was just cool transitions for a fragmovie.

– mediocre frags. airshot, airshot, one more airshot.

We chose to use some creative frag, but unfortunately we didn’t receive a lot of demos. So we made with what we had.

overall 5-6/10
it’s best moooovie evar for tf2 community so faaaaaar but i can’t see anything unique and creative in it.
*i’m so jelly ofc*

Thanks for critics, it helps us to progress.

gotta go fast

Quoted from Salade au thon

Man, it’s quite impossible to make the exact same scene on sfm. Especially when there particles systems

if it is impossible for you then you should take a look on other entries

If we did, it would have been too overedited and we wanted that frags be easilly understandable.

it’s easy to see frags with ANY velocity because it doesn’t affect it anyhow. (tf2 community is blind yeah forgot it)

But can you tell me which animation scene is too linear for you ?

every animation from engineer to scout

I think parov stelar stick perfectlly with this kind of movie

shit pop music sry can’t deal with it, my music taste is 2good for it

I bring this head model back from meet the soldier. And i didn’t have enough time to make custom models and particles system. (modeling is not my cup of tea)

it was possible to solve this problem without making a new model and a new particle system.

If you want a stong story telling, come back to me after saxxy awards. Here was just cool transitions for a fragmovie.

so you could just don’t put most simple and useless story in it. everything should be perfect or it shouldn’t exist at all

Last edited by gotta go fast,

Kaneco

Really liked the incorporation of SFM on this, And I love electroswing, but I think the song transition felt a little bit forced

lamei

(ETF2L Donator)

One of the best movies I’ve ever seen.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from gotta go fast

[…]

[…]

it’s easy to see frags with ANY velocity because it doesn’t affect it anyhow. (tf2 community is blind yeah forgot it)

[…]
every animation from engineer to scout

[…]

[…]
it was possible to solve this problem without making a new model and a new particle system.

[…]
so you could just don’t put most simple and useless story in it. everything should be perfect or it shouldn’t exist at all

someone sounds a bit jealous..

Salade au thon

‹BG>

Quoted from gotta go fast

I was speaking about first person transition in sfm.

It’s ok, you’re too swag for me. :p

Then I want to learn how, can you explain me on steam one of these days. It’s always good to learn from other animators :)

I only have one year experience in animation and there is about 2 minutes of animation in the movie. I cannot make 2 minutes of “perfect” animations with a 2 months deadline sorry

Last edited by Salade au thon,

Henghast

open
bobs

I wasnt aware electro swing tracks were now pop music. Learn something new everyday I suppose.

Fantastic movie, really I loved every minute of it.

Almie

pwn!
gum

Since fucking when is Parov Stelar pop music?

Anyway, my criticism:
I admire the fact that you put the effort into making custom animation for a frag movie. And the result is that the animation is better than what an average SFM user can produce. However, it still isnt very good and lacks basic principles. Like weight, balance and timing mostly.

About camerawork, once again could benefit from some basic principles of cinematography – lower the FOV please, use the lens presets in SFM and only touch 35mm and higher, and then stuff like balance of positive and negative screenspace, rule of thirds, eye levels etc.

And then there were SFM lights, you could either not use them at all so the SFM footage matches the recorded gameplay better, or if you want, look up 3-point lighting setup.

But the transitions between SFM and gameplay parts were done very well, this is honestly the highlight of the movie imo.

Then the edit itself:
– I didnt like the colors very much, they werent terrible or anything, but just not quite there.
– Lack of frame-blending
– There could be more sync, when a video seems over-edited its mostly because of unnecessary effects obscuring the view (looking at you w3sty), velocity doesnt affect it so much, and it would fit the song imo

Huge props for frags choice, its nice to have some non-traditional stuff mixed in with those typical 6s frags that I am seriously getting bored of.

Overall you have great potential, not gonna rate with a number. I felt the need to write this because while I agree with some points made by w3stracer, I also disagree with a huge amount of them. Cheers

.Cali

TF2Co

Download link is added in the description

And thanks for your feedbacks guys :)

Last edited by .Cali,

Xabi

Amazing movie !

Well done :)

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

Watched it in work without any sound and i was smiling all the way through. Really nice. Especially liked the scout SFM bit doing the parkour on granary mid, *cheeky wink!*

Will watch again when I get home with some sound. Great job though.

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Fun movie with some great SFM work, but very messy and incoherent as a whole. To me it feels that the amount of effort you put into the SFM segments is not up to par with the rest of the movie.

– CC and lighting mismatch between SFM and ingame parts
– SFM parts have motion blur / frame blending, ingame parts do not
– Fading between the 2 songs really ruins that part of the video
– Ingame volume doesn’t seem the same in every clip, and is too low overall. I think some sound editing would have really helped this vid (maybe some of the class voiceovers, some emphasis on kills, etc). The video sounds really “dead” now, if you hear past the songs.

These seem like minor criticisms but they’re also quite minor things in terms of effort needed to get “right”. Just needs some more attention and polish.

Quoted from Trath

That first song, Parov Stelar – CatGroove, is that an original? I can’t help but feel like it sounds familiar, is it a remix of something else?

Obviously some old big band jazz tunes are sampled, if that’s what you mean. The samples do remind me of Mr. Scruff though ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HamLxGxeDqI ). Also, who cares about the semantics of “pop music”? That sanicguy is right, Parov Stellar has been overused not only in fragvids/clips but basically everywhere on Youtube…

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »