Forum

Players vs. admins 2

Created 19th September 2009 @ 23:38

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

RaCio

GoT²

It is sad that flaming is so bad and there is a problem recruiting admins, but is flaming an inherent behaviour of the human race – save for few “academics”, or merely some kind of valve for letting out steam, even though the recieving part is rarely pleased by it? A flame post can be both hostile and insulting, but so can regular posts.

Even if flaming is an inherent behavior of the human race, that still does not mean that people have to accept it.
And there is no reason to act like that over small things like the seedings.

Even if flaming is an inherent behavior of the human race, that still does not mean that people have to accept it.
And there is no reason to act like that over small things like the seedings.

I never said flaming was an inherent behavior of the human race, insults are never nice.
And I agree that flaming over the seedings are unproportional, but it’s far from a small thing for many people, as it will decide what they do for the next ~3 months.

san-

h.

playing teams that are skilled higher than you won’t make you play better.

You’re better off playing against a team you can barely win against and try to rape them instead of wasting high level teams time.

Stop trying to blame us for you just being bad at the game, seriously. watch demo’s and learn from them, put some effort into it. High level teams are far from elitist.

This is the opposite of my experience. The big diffenrence between the divisiones is the speed or tempo of the games. the higher up u get the less time u have to think about what you are doing. Its just a matter of getting used to a higher tempo. I blame u for being bad at game? U have no clue have you?

edit: didnt you start off in div 3 and worked your way up.

gryzor

@sauna:

About “twisting” things around… That was not at all the message I tried to convey (as in elevating myself as a academic, omnipotent creature), I think you are so set in your mind that I’m trying to stomp around waiving the ban-hammer and what-not, that you can’t see past the trees. If this is not so, then I used all the wrong words and that’s a pity.

I’m actually not speaking about myself at all, I’m speaking about the ETF2L-project as a whole and my view on it. My views are mine alone, the ETF2L-creature lives on the front-page on this website and sometimes secretly whispers things in days and deneusbeers ears, giving the rest of us a sense of direction on what to concentrate on next.

However, when I mention “good game” above, that pretty much encapsulates what I’m trying to say regarding the whole issue. The “skilled players”-thing was out of context, agreed, but that was a simple mistake on my part trying to explain the view I personally see the ETF2L-project having.

I also find this whole thing about money and paying people to code undermining, I write this text here because I’m passionate about the project, not because I want to get paid. I get paid M-F 0800-1700, I get my reward on ETF2L when people are having a good time with their friends and things are running smoothly. I personally take great pleasure watching match-comments from DIV6-teams playing each-other, then writing “GG guys!” and “That was a lot of fun, well played! :)”, I also personally take great offense to people like you, trying to take the high horse and shine light on things that simply are not there.

But what disturbs me most with your reasoning:

This is not something that can be solved with money. You can’t buy motivated and passionate people with strong wills, great imaginations and interesting visions for the future. I also strongly disagree with the view that we could have “less important admins” that could “simply deal with the forums-trolls”. Everyone is equally important and necessary — and a DIV1 player is as welcome and needed as a DIV6 player. The difference between DIV1 and DIV6 is that DIV1 players spend A LOT more time with THIS particular computer-game than the casual, “for-fun”, DIV6 player. This is also true about admins, some spend A WHOLE lot more time on the project than others, but that does not make them or their views less crucial in a rational process of development.

The only “second-class” citizens in this community are the ones ruining the fun for others by cheating, flaming and otherwise trying to mess things for the rest of the people.

The best thing to do, would to just help out in telling people to stop with the unnecessary flaming. Strong opinions and rational arguments — those are welcome, “xxx is a cock!” and “-1″/”+1”-posts, are not. If you and some more people would donate some time to actually help out with this, I’m hoping this could actually be the last time we’d ever have to discuss this issue — and would be far more valuable than any money donations.

David

I actually agree with gryzor for once! And also does “+1” count towards flaming!??

But what disturbs me most with your reasoning:

This is not something that can be solved with money. You can’t buy motivated and passionate people with strong wills, great imaginations and interesting visions for the future. I also strongly disagree with the view that we could have “less important admins” that could “simply deal with the forums-trolls”. Everyone is equally important and necessary — and a DIV1 player is as welcome and needed as a DIV6 player. The difference between DIV1 and DIV6 is that DIV1 players spend A LOT more time with THIS particular computer-game than the casual, “for-fun”, DIV6 player. This is also true about admins, some spend A WHOLE lot more time on the project than others, but that does not make them less important or their views crucial in a rational process of development.

The only “second-class” citizens in this community are the ones ruining the fun for others by cheating, flaming and otherwise trying to mess things for the rest of the people.

The best thing to do, would to just help out in telling people to stop with the unnecessary flaming. Strong opinions and rational arguments — those are welcome, “xxx is a cock!” and “-1″/”+1”-posts, are not. If you and some more people would donate some time to actually help out with this, I’m hoping this could actually be the last time we’d ever have to discuss this issue — and would be far more valuable than any money donations.

First of all, I agree that flaming is damaging to the community and a strain on the ones organizing – but that your answer for it, i.e. banning the entire team, is a rushed and unproportional response that would generate tons of “X IS A COCK” – posts.
And saying you can’t buy “motivated and passionate people with strong wills, great imaginations and interesting visions for the future” is just bull. What about scientists, doctors, lawyers, screenwrites, architects, painters, carpenters etc etc?
Saying that a certain kind of people can’t be directed with money is bullshit. To have someone take money for a service is not a dirty thing, that’s how the world works. If you in ETF2L doesn’t have any skilled people who can code the site – hire one! I’d be glad to help out with payment. Saying someone is more passionate or has more imagination when it comes to creating a site that can support say 500 teams instead of 330 or make certain forum elements (example send PM or delete a certain post) is just not true. There is a differnce between paid work and charity work, but you can’t say people do a better job here or there.

And I might have been a bit strong in my words on this point in my last post but:
Someone who would be a forum moderator would not be a second class citizen. It’s called organization. Go no further than a hospital – you have nurses and doctors, janitors, secretaries etc etc. They don’t all do the same work, becuase it’s not needed.
Still, you need it to keep an organization, to spread out the workload to the more fitting people. Saying that someone is a second class citizen because they do this or that work is just wrong. There is a job for everyone and you’re not worth less of a person if you clean hotels than if you work as a hospital nurse – you all do your part of a functioning society.
If you feel that the ETF2L coders has too little time to code your stuff because of forum moderation is taking it’s toll – hire a forum moderator! That’s how the world works, ETF2L is not a fairytale where someone who has special skills in coding is a bad person because someone else moderates the forums.

Jones

To DrSauna and Gryzor. You both bring up some excellent points. Please don’t turn this into a battle of pride though by trying to out-wit each other. If you fail to notice good points you have both brought up, then you are not as clever as you look.

Gryzor. DrSauna was being sarcastic when he was talking about inferior people so don’t pretend that was his viewpoint.
DrSauna don’t bait this into a battle of wits because when you have run out of intellectual material you will both resort to flames.
Gryzor. Segregating high skill players as people who play a lot and low skill players as people who play “for fun” makes it sound like you have a personal vendetta against higher skilled players. Higher skilled players play this game for fun to – fact.

Onto the good points. I think the forum moderators could be a useful addition. The donations sauna mentioned could certainly help to. It doesn’t have to be spent on labour.

Money can’t buy passion! For everything else there’s mastercard – You are both right! :)

gryzor

I shall take Jones advice and just agree that Sauna and me disagree on a number of issues and leave it at that.

(EDIT: I’d just like to point out Jones, that I too have been playing TF at a high level (even winning this league back in the days) — I know how much hard work is put into it (because it really IS a lot of HARD work) and I also know the feeling when all that hard work pays off — it is INDEED fun. So, I’m sorry I came across as segregating DIV1 with DIV6 in that particular manner).

And to fragga, even if you think TF2 is a “dying game”, the ETF2L will live on, as the concept has lived on for over a decade. From Quake Teamfortress, Quake 3 Fortress, Enemyterritory Teamfortress to Teamfortress 2. I see no reason to try and “take things out with you” if you believe this to be a sinking ship. 80 extra spots in S6 and 80 on the waitinglist compared to last season would suggest otherwise, though. (EDIT: Seems like fragga removed his post, so nevermind)

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

I did not remove my post, and you know it

Whoever is removing these posts might as well just close the damn forum if anything someone says which is even slightly negative gets removed

For starters how CAN A USER REMOVE A POST, don’t take my intelligence for a ride

Swifty

ξ(゜ヮ゜)ξ

Gryzor tends to come across as an ass at times, but he really does deserve much more respect than he gets with the work he does put into the league.

+1 for both the initial posts from Vlad and Jones for peace keeping :P

edit: I didn’t know it was possible to remove your own posts?

And is there a possibility to appoint forum admins that can clean up the threads, so our coders and other admins can do what they are supposed to do?

I agree with this – though going by the recent news post talking about recruiting admins, I think this may already be happening? Anyway, it’s a good idea. You can bring in people who may not have the necessary skills to code etc., but who can lessen the workload for other admins by looking after the forum. It’s active enough to warrant it, and if it made the atmosphere less flamey and more condusive to proper discussion (thinking about the mess the FaN thread turned into here… if the nonsense had been stripped away/people warned, it may have stayed good for longer) it’d be fantastic.

And for some more hippyness!

compton

cvx|

<3

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Gryzor looks like an ass, but don’t be fooled: he actually is an ass :D.

Fragga

FRAGGA`s
RIP

EDIT: Seems like fragga removed his post, so nevermind

You cant, you know you can’t, by saying this you’re either not thinking or trying to be a smartass

Nothing I said in that comment was a flame, nothing

Swifty

ξ(゜ヮ゜)ξ

lol … who is editing all these posts?

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »