Forum

lf DEMO mentor

Created 5th February 2014 @ 21:42

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Pepzi

hey i’m pepzi and im a div6 demo,
i have a team that doesnt co-operate so they rage on me dying all the time becaus im not protected. I need a mentor that can tell me what i need to do in what situations.
so please can an advanced demo help me?

thanks!
Pepzi,

question esports div6G

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

Checkout the MGE Video Archive http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD098F81F2CA74F00 . There are some good vods/reviews of Numlocked, Kalkin, kaidus and banny.

And here is some POVS http://www.youtube.com/user/TF2Povs/videos?view=0 and of course the VanillaTV Insight http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFe5jqoTJAc&list=PL1C5C81E90A7EB6DC&index=1

Last edited by Toba,

phy-

Add me. I’ll see if I can help

dodgydogman

Panda

Quoted from Pepzi

i have a team that doesn’t co-operate so they rage on me dying all the time because im not protected.

This seems like the right attitude to have :)

In my experience most teams in tf2, are not full of socially developed individuals and so this advice can be boiled down to emotional maturity 101.

How to not fold due to immaturity:

Your team needs to work out exactly what kind of team it wants to be. Make sure everyone on the team is on the exact same page on whether your team is looking to tryhard into higher divisions, simply have fun, or anything inbetween. This needs to be quite set in stone so that everyone agrees on how serious turning up for practice is and how serious they need to take each game.

If your team agrees that it is simply wanting to play some 6s, maybe compete in the season for lols, whatever, there is basically never any excuse whatsoever to criticize, rage, blame, flame, whatever. It just shouldn’t happen on any level. If you find yourself unable to cope with your team playing casually you shouldn’t be in a non serious team, if someone else is the problem, its likely they are not self aware to their attitude in comparison to the rest of the team or they need to be kicked ASAP.

If your team wants to tryhard, there needs to be a lot of ground rules put in place to ensure rage doesn’t get out of control.

Noone is allowed to be captain hindsight. During matches don’t point out mistakes after they are made. Just don’t fucking do it. That scout who was out of position knows why he died, you don’t need to tell him. The medic already knows he should have popped faster so he didn’t drop, you don’t need to tell him. The main caller knows that pushing to last without a demo was a mistake, its not necessary to let him know, everyone knows if they played badly or the team is losing. You aren’t clever for realising obvious mistakes, the person who messed up already knows what happened (he was there), pointing them out just makes you are dick. Unless the information is crucial to the success of the game currently being played, just dont say it.

Noone is allowed to play Blame-Fortress. Blame-Fortress is when losing, someone feels the need to let everyone know who is responsible for losing the game for everyone. This is similar to being captain hindsight however in Blame-Fortress more people tend to join in. If you find yourself needing everyone to know that you are not the reason for having lost a push/game/fight (like making a thread on a forum), you are probably a very insecure person.

Communicate. If certain people or your whole team is always leaving mumble asap after the last game of the night or always ending the night after a loss, you need to have real talks about everyone’s attitude to the game and how you can move forward. After every game talk about the game, for a minute or two. Highlight big plays, good calls, good teamwork etc, especially if the game went wrong. You need to have a positive attitude to survive in competitive games. Everyone needs to give practical solutions to weaknesses in play. Eg, if someone is consistently having a low kd, bad heal spread, low damage output, you need to work out what you are going to do. Examples of things that can really help individuals and the team include:

Going through each map, making sure everyone knows exactly where they should be when holding aggressively, or defensively at EVERY control point. Go from one side of the map to the other, each point explain defending defensively, defending aggressively, pushing routes for every single player on the team.

Making both scouts and both sollies play a round of mge before each match.

Everyone putting time into DM servers.

The main caller should map out some basic framework with the team of his decision making, ie (I will almost always call to push if we have a 2 man advantage, or if a demo/medic is down.)

Follow the main caller. You need to set one person as the main caller. His word is final ingame. Do not argue with the main calls ingame. Just dont do it. Doing something the wrong way as a team is ALWAYS better than having no plan or having people unsure on what to do.

Kicking people. You have to kick people who aren't getting better in play or attitude. If someone does not stop being captain hindsight, stop playing blame-fortress, wont give or take criticism constructively. If they are objectively doing less damage in logs or low K/D but refuse to put time into dm, if they are consistently out of position, despite having been through the map as a team and knowing exactly where they should hold, how they should push they need to be kicked. The leader has to let everyone know the decision and the reason for doing so and then just cut the cord. No second chances, if it takes a threat for them to change, the change won't last.

TLDR: No captain hindsights, stop playing Blame-Fortress, talk about your issues constructively, don't be afraid to cut the cord on dead weights.

Last edited by dodgydogman,

Spike Himself

TC

Demoman syndrome
“ffs team, I cant take 5 people on my own”
“but I’m going to keep trying anyway”

Fuxx

REMOVE

Quoted from Spike Himself

Demoman syndrome

It’s more fun that way :)

.kr4tos

(ETF2L Donator)
FLANK
DGB

add brego

walters

Add svins! I heard he is good at trading!

BenBazinga

Garlic.tf

Quoted from dodgydogman

[…]

This seems like the right attitude to have :)

In my experience most teams in tf2, are not full of socially developed individuals and so this advice can be boiled down to emotional maturity 101.

How to not fold due to immaturity:

Your team needs to work out exactly what kind of team it wants to be. Make sure everyone on the team is on the exact same page on whether your team is looking to tryhard into higher divisions, simply have fun, or anything inbetween. This needs to be quite set in stone so that everyone agrees on how serious turning up for practice is and how serious they need to take each game.

If your team agrees that it is simply wanting to play some 6s, maybe compete in the season for lols, whatever, there is basically never any excuse whatsoever to criticize, rage, blame, flame, whatever. It just shouldn’t happen on any level. If you find yourself unable to cope with your team playing casually you shouldn’t be in a non serious team, if someone else is the problem, its likely they are not self aware to their attitude in comparison to the rest of the team or they need to be kicked ASAP.

If your team wants to tryhard, there needs to be a lot of ground rules put in place to ensure rage doesn’t get out of control.

Noone is allowed to be captain hindsight. During matches don’t point out mistakes after they are made. Just don’t fucking do it. That scout who was out of position knows why he died, you don’t need to tell him. The medic already knows he should have popped faster so he didn’t drop, you don’t need to tell him. The main caller knows that pushing to last without a demo was a mistake, its not necessary to let him know, everyone knows if they played badly or the team is losing. You aren’t clever for realising obvious mistakes, the person who messed up already knows what happened (he was there), pointing them out just makes you are dick. Unless the information is crucial to the success of the game currently being played, just dont say it.

Noone is allowed to play Blame-Fortress. Blame-Fortress is when losing, someone feels the need to let everyone know who is responsible for losing the game for everyone. This is similar to being captain hindsight however in Blame-Fortress more people tend to join in. If you find yourself needing everyone to know that you are not the reason for having lost a push/game/fight (like making a thread on a forum), you are probably a very insecure person.

Communicate. If certain people or your whole team is always leaving mumble asap after the last game of the night or always ending the night after a loss, you need to have real talks about everyone’s attitude to the game and how you can move forward. After every game talk about the game, for a minute or two. Highlight big plays, good calls, good teamwork etc, especially if the game went wrong. You need to have a positive attitude to survive in competitive games. Everyone needs to give practical solutions to weaknesses in play. Eg, if someone is consistently having a low kd, bad heal spread, low damage output, you need to work out what you are going to do. Examples of things that can really help individuals and the team include:

Going through each map, making sure everyone knows exactly where they should be when holding aggressively, or defensively at EVERY control point. Go from one side of the map to the other, each point explain defending defensively, defending aggressively, pushing routes for every single player on the team.

Making both scouts and both sollies play a round of mge before each match.

Everyone putting time into DM servers.

The main caller should map out some basic framework with the team of his decision making, ie (I will almost always call to push if we have a 2 man advantage, or if a demo/medic is down.)

Follow the main caller. You need to set one person as the main caller. His word is final ingame. Do not argue with the main calls ingame. Just dont do it. Doing something the wrong way as a team is ALWAYS better than having no plan or having people unsure on what to do.

Kicking people. You have to kick people who aren't getting better in play or attitude. If someone does not stop being captain hindsight, stop playing blame-fortress, wont give or take criticism constructively. If they are objectively doing less damage in logs or low K/D but refuse to put time into dm, if they are consistently out of position, despite having been through the map as a team and knowing exactly where they should hold, how they should push they need to be kicked. The leader has to let everyone know the decision and the reason for doing so and then just cut the cord. No second chances, if it takes a threat for them to change, the change won't last.

TLDR: No captain hindsights, stop playing Blame-Fortress, talk about your issues constructively, don't be afraid to cut the cord on dead weights.

Good edit :P

peach

TC.Potat

Quoted from Spike Himself

Demoman syndrome

me in a nutshell

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?