Forum

NE/IDK Newbie Mix Group - More admins

Created 7th March 2012 @ 16:49

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

If you don’t follow NATF2.org then you might have missed this thread: http://natf2.com/topics/3523-na-newbie-mix

and this one

http://natf2.com/topics/3510-what-we-learned-from-reddit

Basically it reaffirms that these types of groups are by far the most effective way to get people into competitive TF2.

At the moment the group is rather dead, mid season and all, but even outside the season, the number of mixes and tutorials that were being done was below what is needed for that number of people. It also turned into a bit of a div 6/5 circle-jerk.

What we need for te future is some admins who can commit just 1 game a week to this group. If we get 20 people like this, then that means we have 10 games a week. This would help a great deal.

Fallen

TC

Really what the group needs is players who are willing to learn and play. 95% of the people who play in the so called ‘Newbie’ Mixes are people who aren’t new at all and are as you said div5/6 circle jerkers using it as an easy way to get a mix going if your bored. Normally there is never more then 1 ‘mentor’ in the game and often the most experienced person in the game is not at a standard where he can not particularly mentor anyone, even in his main class.

Before you get more admins you need to look at the current list and trim those that aren’t capable of mentoring 5 players. I know this because I have played in a few mixes recently where people have tried to correct what I am doing even though what I am doing is right. Examples such as pushing in all your heavies with the medic and using hiding spots as a scout when there is no benefit (i.e. your holding with advantage).

Once you’ve got rid of all the admins who are incapable or who are inactive you need to create a better system of scheduling these mixes. Often mixes happen with only 1 person who knows what they’re doing, what needs to happen is a reinforcement of 2 mentors per game, and any admin who does not stick to this limit should be removed. To often have I seen games where one of the teams has no idea what they are doing because they have nobody who is skilled enough to main call or organize anything, let alone mentor people as to what they need to be able to do.

Finally, you need to be willing to kick players from the group who are incapable of using their brain. It sounds harsh but one of the reasons I stopped participating in newbie mixes was because not only did people fail to listen to what the ‘mentor’ was saying, but they just did what ever they wanted which was not only detrimental for them, it was detrimental for the entire team.

CrashSite

RIPMOULD

Is it really wise to kick people who aren’t good…

I don’t mind kicking those who are rude or trolling, but for simply not being good seems like a bad idea.

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Quoted from Fallen

Finally, you need to be willing to kick players from the group who are incapable of using their brain. It sounds harsh but one of the reasons I stopped participating in newbie mixes was because not only did people fail to listen to what the ‘mentor’ was saying, but they just did what ever they wanted which was not only detrimental for them, it was detrimental for the entire team.

This, so much this.
It’s the main reason I stopped aswell. Spending 1 hour getting people in the server and on to mumble, and then spending another half an hour teaching them when they don’t listen to you or don’t want to be taught, don’t listen to your calls mid game, leave/rage and treat it just like your average pub, isn’t all that much fun for the leader/mentor.
Quoted from CrashSite

I don’t mind kicking those who are rude or trolling, but for simply not being good seems like a bad idea.

I don’t think he was talking about if they’re good or not. But if they listen to you or not, if they want to learn/improve or not and etc..

Last edited by cmd,

Henghast

open
bobs

Unfortunately Fallen is entirely correct. When the newbie mix group was initiated there was a reasonable number of admins from teams that were active and helped people to learn. The group has all but been abandoned by those that initially set it up and only continued to thrive through the actions of 5 – 8 admins who due to personal boredom more than a desire to teach would arrange mixes. This is of course the div5/6 circle jerk referred to. There are of course people and admins that still want to help bring people into the game and I agree it is, if implemented and managed properly in the manner Fallen said the best way to bring new people into the competative fold.

There is a dire lack of capable admins with the desire to do their job fully however and a decided lack of impatience from Div6 players or players who believe they know what they’re doing regardless of experience. Particularly towards the actual teaching aspect of the mixes. Teaching one on one a new scout where to be at certain times on Gullywash, or a new soldier a basic Badlands roll out can become an absolute nightmare due to the unco-operative nature of some of the people using the group as an easy low mix.

I would imagine during the off season there will be an increase to the number of mixes but if they continue in the same manner it’s all in vain.

The last two matches I personally organised I sat in spectator and floated about the map switching channels on mumble to give direction or assistance where I could. Telling red team to consider their positions, reminding not to overextend, suggesting that an off class scout might be useful etc. Generally pushing and prodding towards the intended goal. Even then it’s not really suitable.

The group is good for getting people involved but they need a more personal introduction to be able to get the most out of it and active admins would be required for this purpose to be able to engage with them and take them to one side after a mix and give them hints and pointers. Further direction and places to find information to improve their play.

It’s likely I’ve been rambling a bit as I’m avoiding doing actual work and this was a flow of conciousness but the group needs a fundamental overhaul and streamlining from the top down.

Trath

I offer myself. I’m no fucking Byte but I’m sure I have what to bring to the table and do it in a good way.

Stimpy

Well if we can name the usefull admins maybe we can have a clear out?

bean

isaninja

I just wanted to add my support to fallens comments, and to remind him he is a whore.

aaaaa

Quoted from CrashSite

Is it really wise to kick people who aren’t good…

the question is, is it better to have a load of newbie mixes going where the ‘mentor’ is some div 5 bad giving totally shit advice or having fewer mixes with quality mentors???

is there even a right answer to this question who knows

atmo

difference is, the USA newbie mixes have PYYYOUR and Lange, and the EU newbie mixes have me and Ritalin.

Let’s see some top EU players actually help out.

NerdZone

I used to mentor there quite a bit and even did some mentor sessions together with crouton, but after a while I never noticed anyone new or anyone that wasn’t in div5/6. So I just stopped.

NoJu

8D

Dealing with the people who play in these things is one of the most painful experiences I have ever had. Wanting to learn? Good. Great, fantastic. Unfortunately, many of those involved have no interest in learning and are seemingly incapable of joining mumble within an hour. It’s like pulling god damn teeth.

Quoted from aaaaa

[…]

the question is, is it better to have a load of newbie mixes going where the ‘mentor’ is some div 5 bad giving totally shit advice or having fewer mixes with quality mentors???

is there even a right answer to this question who knows

Hello north. You are my idol. It hurt a lot when u LEFT TF2 AND MY LIFE. I hope to see you again soon
xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxo
-failtrain

Quoted from NoJu

Dealing with the people who play in these things is one of the most painful experiences I have ever had. Wanting to learn? Good. Great, fantastic. Unfortunately, many of those involved have no interest in learning and are seemingly incapable of joining mumble within an hour. It’s like pulling god damn teeth.

(though i’ve got to add, i’m so shit i can’t actually teach anyone anything)

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Quoted from Pynklùùùnningen

Hello north. You are my idol. It hurt a lot when u LEFT TF2 AND MY LIFE. I hope to see you again soon
xoxoxoxoxooxoxoxo
-failtrain

+1

And as for being on topic, kick the people who won’t listen or learn as they hinder other people. Stop people under a certain div (div4?3?) being admins and get some other active higher level admins in and it’ll do well.

kaidus

WiK?

I volunteer.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »