Forum

PassTime: A competitively casual gamemode

Created 6th March 2019 @ 02:00

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Tdog

So, I know that certain game modes are chosen for competitive because of many reasons, and some game modes are left out because they can be too “stalemate-y”. I may be biased about this, but I feel like PassTime, despite being neglected by Valve ever since it’s release, could make for a good competitive mode. The gamemode itself is played around a versatile objective and map. When it comes to team work, not only does working together allow you to win a round in 2 goals, but allows you to pull off some crazy stuff along the way. With 1 goal open, and a second scoring option a football-styled endzone, there’s many strategies to be brought up with defending and capturing the objective. Winners are decided after a best of 3 rounds that are decided with a first-to-5-points system.

As for class selection, in a casual round on a valve server, you’d almost always see a minimum of 3 scouts per-team, with at least one of them near the J.A.C.K. at all times, and for a good reason!

“The JACK carrier has the ability to see both teammates and enemies through walls. When stolen (through melee hit) or intercepted from an enemy player, the JACK gives its new carrier a brief speed boost and even briefer invulnerability. After the invulnerability wears off, the JACK carrier will be marked for death whenever no teammates are nearby. When there are teammates nearby, the JACK carrier is not marked for death. The JACK carrier and all nearby teammates are able to move at the speed of the fastest teammate currently in the pack. In addition to this, all teammates near the JACK carrier experience passive health regeneration.”
https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/PASS_Time#Other_JACK_effects

there’s no doubt a plug-in out there to disable those effects if they slow down the game to much (although I find it speeds it up)

yeah yeah, I know. I didn’t go over everything, but I can’t explain everything! I’ve made many attempts before to explain how this underplayed gamemode works, and I can’t get the point across. I hope someone can make sense of this.

Is it bad that I put more effort into this that the essay I had to write for english earlier this year?

Last edited by Tdog,

NeuTronas

Maps (or just one map) that I’ve played Passtime in are awful. It is basically sniper’s heaven.

Tamir

I can’t really imagine pass time being that competitive though because of how weird the objective and the means to get the objective are. It’s too inconsistent and too chaotic to be able played in a proper competitive level. It’d be like CTF, some would have to guard the Intel (PASS BALL) and some would have to go and get it, and if you push with your entire team the enemy team might as well just mirror you and get your ball as well. Way too chaotic to work, imho.

adje

https://www.teamfortress.tv/49301/pass-arena2

Tdog

Quoted from Tamir

I can’t really imagine pass time being that competitive though because of how weird the objective and the means to get the objective are. It’s too inconsistent and too chaotic to be able played in a proper competitive level. It’d be like CTF, some would have to guard the Intel (PASS BALL) and some would have to go and get it, and if you push with your entire team the enemy team might as well just mirror you and get your ball as well. Way too chaotic to work, imho.

you would think that, if there was more than one J.A.C.K.
There’s only one ball in passtime, making it a constant change for who’s attacking and who’s defending

Tdog

Quoted from adje

https://www.teamfortress.tv/49301/pass-arena2

Cool idea, but removing the Power J.A.C.K. goal takes out the entire teamwork part of this gamemode.

Tdog

Quoted from NeuTronas

Maps (or just one map) that I’ve played Passtime in are awful. It is basically sniper’s heaven.

A little map editing to make a pass_brickyard_pro wouldn’t be too hard. Especially if it’s just removing sight lines

Tamir

Quoted from Tdog

[…]
you would think that, if there was more than one J.A.C.K.
There’s only one ball in passtime, making it a constant change for who’s attacking and who’s defending

Then it would just resemble a 3CP. You can hold with the Jack on mid and you can setup on last with sentries and offclasses to prevent it from being capped, and you play it just like a 5cp

Tdog

Quoted from Tamir

[…]

Then it would just resemble a 3CP. You can hold with the Jack on mid and you can setup on last with sentries and offclasses to prevent it from being capped, and you play it just like a 5cp

Except there are no capture points. It’s literally a sport.

A neutral ball, called the JACK, spawns near the center of the map. Players must take the ball and successfully score it in one of the opposing team’s goals. By default, the scoring limit is five; the team that first reaches this limit wins. Otherwise, the team with the most points wins when time runs out. https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/PASS_Time#Gameplay

You get the ONE JACK, and run it down to the enemy’s side, either scoring in the throwing net, running into the end zone, or with a power JACK goal.

Tamir

Quoted from Tdog

[…]

Except there are no capture points. It’s literally a sport.

A neutral ball, called the JACK, spawns near the center of the map. Players must take the ball and successfully score it in one of the opposing team’s goals. By default, the scoring limit is five; the team that first reaches this limit wins. Otherwise, the team with the most points wins when time runs out. https://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/PASS_Time#Gameplay

You get the ONE JACK, and run it down to the enemy’s side, either scoring in the throwing net, running into the end zone, or with a power JACK goal.

But would that be competitive like you hope for it to be? What I’m saying is, even if you have the JACK, it doesn’t mean you can run in and cap it, and most likely if you do you’ll lose the round. The enemy team can have holds and block their chokepoints so you cant just walk through, making it basically like 3cp with a slightly different objective (cap the JACK isntead of cap the point)

Add A Reply Pages: 1