Forum

MGE to Matches

Created 27th July 2012 @ 22:49

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Drackk

best
sniper

I play MGE a lot. A very large amount. I’ve played it and got better at it, and believe i am quite decent on it.

Now, my question is, how the hell do I get my MGE DM the same as my pcw/mix/match DM? It’s like i’m a completely different person in games compared to what I was 30 minutes ago on the MGE server.

I’m guessing it’s just through experience and practice during matches? And a certain mindset too? I’m not sure.

sheepy dog's hand

(Cutest boy in TF2)
F!
Pander

because 1 v 1s and 6 v 6 are completely different

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

mge dm has nothing to do with 6v6 dm, play deathmatch instead of mge -> profit

Ghostface

spire

Quoted from smziii

mge dm has nothing to do with 6v6 dm, play deathmatch instead of mge -> profit

Wiper

idd.

It was a big challenge for me too to get as comfortable in 6v6’s as I am in MGE, but at the moment I actually feel like playing in 6v6’s is more comfortable and i play better there than on an MGE match. MGE is purely to practise aim and learn common patterns for taking in-game control and be successful. This also eliminates the reason to tryhard on MGE, fuck MGE-points. The reason you feel like you’re different in actual games is because you are put up against more and instead of having a ton of 1v1’s you’re 6v6. For me it was the pressure of thinking “now it counts!” when I was playing, but as you play and advance you will get more comfortable while playing and then the MGE-stuff will start to show (although it looks like it already does quite abit judging from Spike’s youtube videos of you).

Last edited by Wiper,

mustardoverlord

:)

if you’re playing a class that gets heals (pocket/demo/scout on some teams), take your time and make sure your shots hit, unless you’re like stranded with 20 hp (but then you prolly wont win a fight anyways)

if you’re on the flanks, you’re probably fighting someone also with no heals, so just focus on positioning, working with teammates there, having decent movement when fighting other projectile classes, and not missing easy shots

in general, if you’re hitting all ground rockets and most of your shotgun on heavy classes, with some shotgun on scout, that’s good enough. at very high levels being able to hit sick airshots/directs or 2 shot a scout with solly shotgun might matter, but otherwise it is your positioning/teamwork that should matter

in general, try not to overkill targets, keep some ammo just in case

Regen

nf.
9F

Unless you’re standing on the spire and there’s just one enemy solly around trying to jump you, it’s not going to help much.
In mge most people win by using the ‘unfair’ advantages anyways, for example, i know where there’s like ‘invisible bits’ so when they try to shoot me they shoot the wall and do self damage or just don’t hit me.
The only thing that might help is like.. some shotgun aim i guess? Even my rocket aim is heavily reliant on the map, because it’s just so easy to predict where people are going when you play badlands spire 500 times.
I suggest you play DM as has been said, it’s pretty enjoyable too :)

Croogah

Today, LZ, gran middle, be there.

Drackk

best
sniper

Thanks for your replies guys, shall definitely play more DM in that case!

Quoted from Wiper

the MGE-stuff will start to show (although it looks like it already does quite abit judging from Spike’s youtube videos of you).

i don’t perform like that all the time; they are the best bits or highlights of games

Quoted from mustardoverlord

if you’re playing a class that gets heals (pocket/demo/scout on some teams), take your time and make sure your shots hit, unless you’re like stranded with 20 hp (but then you prolly wont win a fight anyways)

i play pocket, so it makes sense now that because i have more hp, i can take more time placing shots

Quoted from Regen

The only thing that might help is like.. some shotgun aim i guess? Even my rocket aim is heavily reliant on the map

would the arena “ammomod [MGE]” help with aiming purely because it is a flat circular arena?

MIndYe

[hePPa]

You said you play pocket so it makes sense MGE != match. In matches, most opponents try to jump your medic instead of you. So your MGE experience on prediction is different.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

The only solution is to play more MGE.

dodgydogman

Panda

Play ultiduo, its far better for dm, good for pockets to learn more about their medic and way more fun.

MightyMe

UbeR |

Playing alot of MGE gives you more experience on any 1v1 situation you will get to during a 6v6. Badlands middle for example.
When I play pocket soldier or demoman and I sit on our train, and an enemy soldier is jumping at us from window or just their side, I airshot him way more often than I would have if I didn’t play as much MGE as I do.
(talking about soldier because I have seen you playing soldier on mge)
Playing MGE overall gives you better movement, better aim, and gives you more experience that you can use in 6v6. The most important part I think is if you want to put the “MGE Experience to Matches” is that you need to pay alot of attention, and focus on what is important.
If you play granary and jump on to the crates, you will see a total of 11 other players, 6 of those from the enemy team. Just blur out everyone else apart from the enemy soldier that is about to jump at you, and just think about the mge practice that you played and you will be more succesfull.
Playing Ammomod MGE trains you on ground battles more, for example if you were to fight against a soldier-medic combo in badlands choke, you can think of a ammomod mge arena and just pretend you are having 1v1 mge battle :D
Playing DM is really personal choice, some people dislike MGE and only play DM, and vise-versa.
I don’t enjoy playing DM (especially as demoman)*, because you are way to vulnerable and in 90% of the sitations you are getting bombed by 2 scouts and 2 soldiers as soon as you set foot to the middle point of that map. Not to mention tryharding scouts who chase you from badlands middle all the way to spire, or soldiers who keep spamming choke so it’s impossible for you to jump at them. In MGE you can just !remove and join a different arena vs an oponoment of your choice.

TL;DR You just need to visualize whatever happends in 6v6 and think back to your mge experience and you will succeed more. And what you also need is alot of gamesense, which is sometimes more of a gift than something you can train alot.

Last edited by MightyMe,

flix

n2o

back in the day we played pickups 24/7 to become good!

longas

Quoted from flix

back in the day we played pickups 24/7 to become good!

back in the day we played dm_store 24/7 to become good! * fixed

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »