Forum

[Scout] How to improve your aim?

Created 14th June 2012 @ 23:11

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 7 Next »

Airact

As far as I know Scout “aim” is based on going for the easy shots.

Move so you don’t need to move your mouse as much,-> easy kills.

Then again I’m shit so I don’t know what I’m talking about.

zilis

mamka

Quoted from sheepy dog's hand

[…]

Wrong

That’s actually true, atleast for me.

yach

Üb

Learn to track properly, makes aiming a lot easier than if you twitch all the time

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Nice argumenting sheepy. I am now convinced that I was wrong and you were right. Well done.

xD

And since some people apparently didn’t get it, what I meant was that your time is better spent doing anything else regarding tf2 than practising aim, since all the other things improve you much quicker. You don’t need a good scout v scout aim for instance when you can just outplay the opposition.

…I should know, I get outplayed all the time.

Last edited by Rake,

Spike Himself

TC

That said, I guess learning how to actually play properly is more difficult than learning how to aim; many would much prefer to remain dumb but kill things anyway, so they can be on youtube like the big guys.

Also bad aim is easier to blame than bad positioning for self-critics. How often do you hear a scout cry “fuck my positioning is so bad”? The majority of scouts I’ve played with tend to go emo over how bad their aim is instead.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Considering I’ve played scout for like 1000+ hours and I still can’t aim for shit I’d say you’re wrong spike.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Rake

Considering I’ve played scout for like 1000+ hours and I still can’t aim for shit I’d say you’re wrong spike.

The saturation of scouts below div 4 disagrees with you :P

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Think what Sheepy meant was what don’t work for you works for other people.

It is simple human nature for everything – not everyone is the same in every aspect. Some people get better at a particular skill one way, others use a different method.

Personally I agree with you Rake, you can outsmart and outplay players and be useful to your team. But if you can meatshot like Sheepy can, I would trade my smarts for some raw talent like that. Now if only he could learn how not to run into 5 people and die all the time….

atmo

alias dm "incrementvar hud_saytext_time 0 12 12; con_filter_text your attacker; incrementvar volume 0 0.2 0.2; +attack; incrementvar developer 0 1 1; echo now would be a good time to play your favourite album; incrementvar con_filter_enable 0 1 1; "

wantedgovit DM

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Well thats not exactly what I meant Hildreth. Obviously I could be wrong and shortsighted, but I just feel that in a sense you don’t need to “learn” to outplay people. It’s sort of just a behavioral change. Assuming you know the maps and general positions of the players based on earlier matches against the particular players and the usual way the map in question works, you know when you can do certain things. The thing you actually need to work on at that point is thinking when playing. Think of where you could go unnoticed to wreak the most havoc, think of how you could get a cheap 104 meatshot in without taking damage. The thing is, most people don’t actively think when they’re playing, and just go on autopilot and do certain things constantly. That’s also kinda why thinking when playing works.

Most people are victim to the autopiloting through game after another. I did it for years, but when I played with m0re in anexis, I just kinda stopped. It wasn’t hard, it just required me to stop and think about what I should do. After that however I’ve declined back to autopiloting due to reallife commitments, since I rather just go for hero shit cause I can’t play much, and mostly pickups/mixes.

Do note that I did spend like 2-3 years obsessing about my aim and wondering why I didn’t get better. I did the whole muscle memory and dm routine, with a lot of pickups and such. I did actually get a pretty good aim for periods in there, but I never got that consistent in that regard. I also had fairly good aim in Anexis, but I wasn’t in my prime back then, but abusing the game mechanics gave me the advantage compared to before.

I guess what I mean is, that it’s just a lot easier to not win by aiming, but rather by thinking, since aiming is hard and requires from months to years of practise to perfect, but thinking should be fairly natural to most people.

E: holy incomprehensible wall of text batman

E2: I guess its also kind of a thing of perspective. People might consider me to have a good aim, while infact I just mostly don’t try to out-aim people. I just try to go in an awkward angle and put a meatshot or two in the enemy, back off, rinse and repeat. Or that is what I want to do, but I get greedy after meatshotting a soldier twice. xD

Last edited by Rake,

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

So you just needed to play with someone smart to guide you?

You’re in luck Sheepy! :DDD

But yeah that is a good explanation of your point, I can understand and appreciate it now.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Rake

but thinking should be fairly natural to most people.

Sadly not.

I agree with you though; it does make more sense to play properly instead of kill everything by having perfect aim. That’s exactly what I attempted to get across in an earlier post.

I’m just saying that for the majority of scouts this isn’t how things go. It should be, but it’s not. It’s exactly the auto-pilot thing you describe; you don’t need to think about anything so long as you don’t miss any shots! At least not at div 4 and below. That’s probably one of the main reasons why there are so many scouts in the first place; it’s considered the easiest class because “all you have to do is click on people”.

tl;dr we seem to be agreeing on everything :D

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Indeed, but I’m not exactly arguing with you about my point :P

Another thing I thought about while ingesting a delicious salmon soup is that there is a near-perfect example of outplaying individual players and teams, and that is the summer assembly 2011 grand final between anexis and sg-1. We just mostly got shat on when we tried to do any kind of equal number fight. Me and santtu got completely shat on by hymzi and cookye, they just absolutely out-aimed us. No offence to m0re and honky, but need I compare their dm with punpu and hocz? :P But by playing as a team (and by rolling a heavy on gully xD) we won gullywash, and badlands was this close. In granary we got destroyed because we didn’t have any teamplay at the middle, it was like a great mystery to us, and sg-1 had some pretty good strat that they executed well. Even though, I would argue that they would’ve won granary regardless of their strategy, since they just had better dm skills all over the team.

E: AAAAAND another thing. Reading through the thread it seems that it’s generally div2 and below who are giving all kinds of weird tips about practising your aim. STOP OBSESSING ABOUT IT GODDAMNIT.

I’ll just shut up now.

Last edited by Rake,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Rake

Indeed, but I’m not exactly arguing with you about my point :P

So? I’m bored and I like typing :D

Rake

Lutunen
[hePPa]

Regarding your earlier post, I did work as a technical helpdesk for 6 months, so I’m fairly familiar with stupidity. I just want to believe that those people don’t actually exist and some company just pays them to call helpdesks to annoy them.

Last edited by Rake,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 7 Next »