Forum

Useful Server Commands/cvar's

Created 23rd August 2010 @ 19:03

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Skyride

DUCS

Hey, Thought this was something worth having, the reading material on the net for it is a bit thin since most people suggest “install sourcemod hurr durr” when its not to do with match servers.

As a general rule of thumb, its a good idea to put any setting that isn’t a number inside quotation marks.

Any of these commands can used from your TF2 by first setting the rcon password by doing this command on TF2:
rcon_password "passwordhere"
Then putting rcon in front of any of the following commands.

Basic Server Commands:
exec:
Executes a config in the servers “cfg” folder, minus the “.cfg” extension. Example:
exec etf2l

changelevel:
Strangely enough, this changes the map. Its called changelevel instead of map, simply because it was originally written with Half Life 2 in mind, so changing levels within the game. Example:
changelevel cp_badlands

_restart:
Again, does what it says on the tin, it restarts the server. If you’re server is lagging, and a map change doesn’t help, try this. Note: It will disconnect everyone on the server with the message “server is shutting down”, and can take up to a couple of minutes to come back (although it usually takes 20-30 seconds). Example:
rcon _restart

map:
I’m only putting this command on the list so that I can heavily suggest you DO NOT use it. Unlike changelevel which simply changes the map, this internally restarts the server, and like _restart, disconnects everyone currently on the server with the message “server is now shutting down”. To put it simply, if you actually need to use this command, you probably didn’t hear about it reading this post. :)

connect:
Not a server command, but still something you should know about. I’m sure than 98% of the people already know about this command, but I’d just like to explain it properly. It takes the following format:
connect hostnameOrIP[:port]
the first part is the IP of your server (hostname being an actual address instead of numbers), the second optional part is the port. If you do no enter a port, it will automatically use 27015 (the default port for any TF2/CSS server). Example:
connect 127.0.0.1:27065

password:
You will often see this followed by a connect command followed by this, i.e.:
connect 127.0.0.1:27065 ; password "bigbootybitches"
password is actually a setting on your TF2. The “;” tells TF2 “wait, don’t do that yet, i’ve still got something else i want you to do first”, so it’ll set the value of password to whatever you’ve typed before it tries to connect to the server. Even doing it backwards works, Example:
password "bigbootybitches" ; connect 127.0.0.1:27065

This will print information on the server – such as the map currently running and IP – along with a list of all players on the server and their SteamID’s.

Basic Server Settings
sv_password
: This setting holds your servers password. Example:
sv_password "bigbootybitches"

sv_cheats: Its the cheats setting in TF2. Theres a huge number of commands that can be used to cheat in the game (hurtme for loads of health, addcond 5 for permanent uber, host_timescale for speedhacks, etc). Luckily valve locked them all so that you can’t change/use them as long as sv_cheats is set to 0. The default etf2l config sets it to 0, and you should always check that any server you are playing on has sv_cheats set to 0, especially in officials. Example:
sv_cheats 0

sv_pure: This setting decides whether you are allowed to use custom skins on a server. It has 3 settings:
0: All skins allowed
1: All skins disallowed except for those on the servers whitelist
2: All custom content (besides maps) are disallowed.
A map change is required to make any changes of this setting actually apply, its set to 2 in the etf2l config.
Many people wonder what this is about? Well quite simply, you can use material hacks if this is set to 0, wallhacks. They’re undetectable/bannable by VAC or any anti-cheat program however simply because as far as the game is concerned, its just a normal skin.

Gameplay Settings
mp_tournament
: Enables the TF2 tournament mode, all of this is automatically setup in the etf2l config.

mp_tournament_stopwatch: Enables stopwatch mode mp_tournament. This is used for Attack/Defend maps like dustbowl, gravelpit, etc,,,

mp_tournament_restart: Restarts tournament mode, brings you back to ready-up period.

mp_tournament_allow_non_admin_restart: This allows the mp_tournament_restart command to be used by anyone the server by simply typing it in their console without rcon.

mp_highlander: Sets class limit 1 for all classes, saves you having to use sourcemod for classlimits, but generally a bad idea to use it in a highlander match for various reasons.

mp_winlimit: The number of round wins / flag captures needed to win the map.

mp_windifference: The difference in scores needed to win a map. mp_winlimit overrides this however. So if you have a win difference of 3, and a winlimit of 5, a team will when when they either have 3 round wins more than the other team, OR the first team to reach 5 round wins.

mp_chattime: The number of seconds between a team winning and the next round starting, (i.e. the number of seconds that the winning team has crits and the other team can’t use weapons)

SourceTV settings
tv_enable
: Shit shock surprise, this enables SourceTV. It takes a map change for it to actually apply mind you.

tv_password: The password of your SourceTV server, works exactly the same as sv_password.

tv_autorecord: Makes the server automatically record SourceTV demos all of the time. This setting has been the cause of a million and one peoples problems without them knowing it and really shouldn’t be used.

tv_port: Contrary to popular belief, this command doesn’t actually work properly. To actually set the port of the SourceTV, it needs to be used as a launch parameter, (like -noborder on your TF2, but on the server). Unless you are running the server on your own PC or dedi box, there is no way to set this. However most GSP’s will typically set it for you if you ask them to.

tv_status: This prints the information about SourceTV such as the number of spectators and relays connected. Also, as a note, using status on your TF2 when connected to a SourceTV relay will print out whatever rcon tv_status would.

Just post if you can think of anything else to add, i’ve probably forgotten things :)

octochris

(0v0)

Some others:

mp_switchteams
mp_tournament_restart
sv_password (right now seems you only have the client command listed)

Josh

ez
LEGO

i forgot to _password after rcon and banned myself from the server :|

Add downloadurl stuffs. (especially net_maxfilesize, it’s a bitch to find online)

Orange

KORE
element //

Quoted from Skyride

mp_chattime: The number of seconds between a team winning and the next round starting, (i.e. the number of seconds that the winning team has crits and the other team can’t use weapons)

wrong decription. you describe mp_bonusroundtime. mp_chattime used between games

raptor777777

changelevel also needs rcon in front of it.

wer

tfortress.no

Quoted from raptor777777

;)

Tikcus

Quoted from octochris

Some others:

mp_switchteams

Not useful in anyway, this command auto readys up

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Tikcus

[…]

Not useful in anyway, this command auto readys up

lol?

what’s wrong with automatic readying up? if someone goes afk between ABBA they should be shot

Tikcus

Quoted from octochris

[…]

lol?

what’s wrong with automatic readying up? if someone goes afk between ABBA they should be shot

after the best part of 25 min of gravelpit, a piss/drinks break is often taking by a lot of players.
One of the reasons the map is shit to play, now with a best of 3 it’s turned a 40 min map with 10 minutes of fucking about into an hours map with 15 min of fucking about

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Tikcus

[…]

after the best part of 25 min of gravelpit, a piss/drinks break is often taking by a lot of players.
One of the reasons the map is shit to play, now with a best of 3 it’s turned a 40 min map with 10 minutes of fucking about into an hours map with 15 min of fucking about

not had this happen, like ever, when playing gpit.

a link to aid you: http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org/support-and-services/links/

Tikcus

Nobody in your team goes on a beer run after 25 min of gpit?

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Tikcus

Nobody in your team goes on a beer run after 25 min of gpit?

weed, but they have it at their computer already

rtan

-9w-

I can’t speak for anyone else but I usually make my team and other teams rage by pissing off during the abba break by going for a drink/toilet.

I remember once in div5 when I was playing for SAS some guys actually threatened to ask for a default cos I went to get a drink once and took all of 5 minutes. sorry guys.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from rtan

I can’t speak for anyone else but I usually make my team and other teams rage by pissing off during the abba break by going for a drink/toilet.

i can believe it

Quoted from raptor777777

oh u

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »