Forum

ATI Display Driver crashing randomly

Created 18th March 2010 @ 12:04

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

bm

So I’ve had this problem for a few weeks now:

While ingame (no matter what game) my display driver randomly crashes and then restores itself within about 30 seconds and I then can continue playing.
Even if there are long periods in which I can play without crashing, this is obviously annoying as fuck.
I got a ATI 4870, tried reinstalling the driver numerous times, without success.
I then formatted and reinstalled windows like a week ago and at first everything was fine, the crashes no longer occured. However now I’ve got the same issue again.

Would greatly appreciate any advice on how to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Switch to nvidia :D

baerbel

trick17
trick17

did you change the driver version?
did you try turning it off and on again?

Slick

Epsilon

brand?

FADe

Yup, can’t play any game for more than 2hours without it crashing. Mine doesn’t sort itself out though my PC just dies and I have to restart.
Bought a 5670 for 65 as I’m on a budget – pretty sure it’s a problem with the 10.2 CCC. They were supposed to be an improvement on the 10.1’s which wouldn’t even install/work for alot of people (myself included) untill they brought out the 10.1hotfix and they were just as buggy. Hoping 10.3 will fix it.

Reload

BiG
BiG

I’ve had this problem too (well, slightly different but most of it is the same) with the HD4870 (512mb OC version). For me it was my card overheating. Did you check the temperatures?

Mark

Phase

Quoted from Reload

I’ve had this problem too (well, slightly different but most of it is the same) with the HD4870 (512mb OC version). For me it was my card overheating. Did you check the temperatures?

Same here.

toasty.

PHX

This sounds a bit like the dreaded “nvlddmkm” error.

My 8800 gtx suffered from this, I tried to find solutions for up to a year after I bought it and ended up having to buy a new card.

Google the word or see http://www.nvlddmkm.com/ to see if it matches.

I’m hoping it isn’t this error but I thought I would share.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from toasty.

This sounds a bit like the dreaded “nvlddmkm” error.

My 8800 gtx suffered from this, I tried to find solutions for up to a year after I bought it and ended up having to buy a new card.

Google the word or see http://www.nvlddmkm.com/ to see if it matches.

I’m hoping it isn’t this error but I thought I would share.

That’s entirely unrelated, because you’re referring to nVidia software/drivers.

WildEast

.:EnG!:.
<3

i had many problems with 10.2 CCC, swtiched back to 10.1 and no problems, yet.

jason

PHX

Maybe try the 10.3 beta drivers as shown in this thread http://etf2l.org/forum/off-topic/topic-9304/page-1/?recent=158422#post-158422

fRdz

S&M

I have a HD4890 and I used to have that problem exactly. The problem is that the Graphics card resets itself, it has this overdrive (cant remember exactly what happends) thats supposed to prevent bluscreens on an overload.

So far the info I’ve gathered suggests that the HD4870-90 cards get problems when it has a dynamic Mhz usage on the card. It can happend when your game switches from a 2D / simple textures or less demanding areas of a map to a higher requiring game part often it will crash your game.

What you could do is use the override in ATI catalyst to fixiate the clock rate to about 500-600 MHz and see if that fixes it.

I still have problems with my computer crashing randomly and looping sound requiring a manual restart. But I dont know if thats my ram or my graphics drivers.

wpminnows

[PG]

i had this problem along with some flashing pixels appearing just before it crashed

changing the virtual memory in system properties/advanced/performance settings/advanced to system-managed or disabled seems to have fixed it

eoN^

Quoted from wpminnows

i had this problem along with some flashing pixels appearing just before it crashed

changing the virtual memory in system properties/advanced/performance settings/advanced to system-managed or disabled seems to have fixed it

I get the same flashing pixels if i overclock my GFX to much

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from eoN^

[…]

I get the same flashing pixels if i overclock my GFX to much

Yes, that’s artifacting.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »