Forum

The weirdest FPS problem man kind ever encountered

Created 28th January 2010 @ 00:41

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Spary

first of all my spec: ATI HD5870 1GB, core2quad Q9550 2.8GHz, 6GB ram, P5K SE motherboard and a brand new samsung 1TB HDD.

I think I only got this issue since the 13th of january tf2 update… I USED to get about 100-250 when im not near/seeing any enemy players/burning friendlies, and once I get to see some enemies or getting close to the action (6v6 ye?) my fps drop to 30-50 (which is less than my update rate so it makes the game extremely choppy).

Today I’ve encountered a new problem, now when I have fps show 2 I can see I have about 80-100fps not near enemies but the actual game is still extremely choppy, like screen tearing or whatever it’s called all the time.

Now, before the 13th update I had all my options on highest, AAx8 filteringx16 you get the point, and I never gone below 150fps.

*Installed latest drivers, uninstalled them/reverted cos people said it might be a driver problem

*Defragged my drivers, defragged all my GCF game files with a special program

*Made an exclusion to scan the steam folder

*Uninstalled tf2 and deleted tf folder and installed again

*Tried Quantum’s cfgs UltraHighFPS-HighFPS-HighQuality and I still get that massive drop to 30-50 FPS

*Fixed problems in registery

*I’ve put the following launch options “-heapsize 1572864 -noforcemaccel -noforcemparms -noforcemspd -console -novid -noipx -nojoy -window -noborder -w 1680 -h 1050”

*Tried GameBooster

*Tried changing affinity in ctrl+alt+del on hl2.exe to use 2 cores instead of 4

Nothing helped.

If there’s some kind people that are willing to help with my problem, I will be very appreciated.

julieN1

cQr

i think that that -heapsize value you have is for either 1gb of ram or 2gb. try removing it, because it seems you ran out of options or just…format?

edit

or just try -autoconfig, launch the game, quit, remove the command, launch again and see how it goes BE AWARE it WILL remove your settings. keep your binds n shiz before.

Last edited by julieN1,

Spary

3 GB – 1572864
2 GB – 1048576
1 GB – 524288

And will it delete only my binds if I try that -autoconfig?

BERSERKER

broder
PRO

If you have an antivirus program, put the steam/appcache/gamestats folder in the exception list to protection thingie. Most AV programs continuously check files whenever they are updated, and this is updated quite intensively, so that could be one source of the problem.

Another known culprit in producing low FPS, and it sounds very much like it could be this, is incorrect network card drivers. Check your motherboard network card, and then go download correct drivers from the manufacturer site.

Just post the results here regardless, although I won’t be able to help you anymore, it will be of interest to me and any other who might search/google this problem.

tesco

mrp.

dunno, maybe it can help
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1034385

i didn’t read the whole thread, just the topic is the same

Last edited by tesco,

Spary

Quoted from BERSERKER

If you have an antivirus program, put the steam/appcache/gamestats folder in the exception list to protection thingie. Most AV programs continuously check files whenever they are updated, and this is updated quite intensively, so that could be one source of the problem.

Another known culprit in producing low FPS, and it sounds very much like it could be this, is incorrect network card drivers. Check your motherboard network card, and then go download correct drivers from the manufacturer site.

Just post the results here regardless, although I won’t be able to help you anymore, it will be of interest to me and any other who might search/google this problem.

“*Made an exclusion to scan the steam folder”, and the new steam client reduced the amount of data written on that folder by about 90% anyway.

Regarding the network card, I’ve got an atheros L1 gigabit ethernet and got the latest drivers on it (which is pretty old 13/10/2009), I’ve read the topic that said the problem can be caused by a network card driver, but the topic applies to realtek ones.

Anyway I am gonna go to buy a realtek network card and some cooling fans tomorrow just in case (my hardware isn’t getting hot or something but I’d like to have some more fans to be safe).

Thanks alot for the quick replys, much appreciated.

Quoted from tesco

dunno, maybe it can help
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1034385

i didn’t read the whole thread, just the topic is the same

The guy that made that topic still didn’t fully solve the problem (and the thread is more than 3 month old), he said setting the affinity helped him but when I set my affinity it gives me worse fps.

Last edited by Spary,

blorg

first it’s your internet, and now it’s your fps
what is it with you, spary :(

Morphine

(Cat Enthusiast)
一一═デ︻

Had a similar issue with FPS drops near enemies. Tried all those too, but the only thing that worked for me is going fullscreen :

I had the same occurring in windowed mode but not full screen, seemed to occur with dec/nov set of ati drivers and the 13th jan update tf2. I have now moved to the latest ati 10.1 set but have yet to check if this cured the widowed mode issue I had been seeing.

SfynX

T2P

very strange problem. Make sure you have multi cor rendering on. Check what programs you have running. theres alot of stuff that could do this but go through the basics and narrow down the options.

Pikachu

LTG.
LTG.

It’s possible you may have set AA in Catalyst then put the AA to Supersampling, that RAPES your performance, this is only a guess though.

мιssιōи_

Quoted from Spary

I think I only got this issue since the 13th of january tf2 update… I USED to get about 100-250 when im not near/seeing any enemy players/burning friendlies, and once I get to see some enemies or getting close to the action (6v6 ye?) my fps drop to 30-50 (which is less than my update rate so it makes the game extremely choppy).

almost exactly the problem i got after the Jan 13th tf2 update. and i haven’t changed anything so i don’t really know what is wrong and how to fix it.

my solution atm: STOP PLAYING TF2

Spary

This problem even got weirder, it just come and go…

I have no idea why sometimes my fps drops to 30 and the other day the lowest it gets is 70 (no it’s not hardware heating up).

I would like to thank you guys for the help, I’ll keep investigating this and will post a solution if I find one so anybody else that got this problem will be able to solve it aswell.

oblivion

If its coming and going I’d think its something to do with other processes your PC is running, in particular your AV could be doing this. What AV are you running?

It could also be a windows issue, although I’m not sure what could do that.

ouch

disable directsound via dxdiag

dunno if it helps but it helped me some while ago

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »