Forum

PLEDGE NEEDS HELP - Internet Issues

Created 25th April 2013 @ 22:20

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

ThePledge

Hey guys,

Much thanks for reading this. It’s quite a detailed story for anyone who wants to know, there’s also a TL:DR at the end of it all for people who just want to know what’s up.

About 10 days ago my internet started having issues. Whilst my download was 100% steady, my upload seemed to be cutting out here and there (completely or just a little), obviously resulting in issues streaming. I spoke to my ISP and they told me that it might be a network card issue, depending on whether or not my two roommates experience the same. They didn’t, so a network card issue was “confirmed”. After today’s stream blackout, I got annoyed and ended up packing up my PC and travelled to my PC store in the neighbourhood.

That’s where things got a little weird. The PC guy very clearly told me he accepted the hypothesis, but didn’t see any reason to doubt my hardware at all. He ended up asking me if I installed anything in the past 10 days, something which I didn’t know. We checked it out and my AVG virus scanner had an update on the exact day my issues started occuring. The PC guy said he was 90% sure AVG caused all my issues, and that it’s a known thing to cut upload here and there.
We ended up uninstalling AVG, installing Avast and disabling Windows Firewall. I went home.

Upon arriving home, some things became clear to me:
1. I tried streaming, but my internet was not good enough suddenly. Dropped frames everywhere. Did nothing out of the ordinary.
2. In every game, on every server, I have my regular ping +60.

Info about my system:
– 1 Modem, 1 Router (NetGear WGR614), 3 cables to 3 PC’s in the house.
– Realtek Network Card, no idea which one. Latest drivers were installed today at the PC shop when he double checked and downloaded them to be sure.

I expected the 1st one to be perfectly fine after a reboot and sleeping on it tonight, but after I realised the second problem, I feel the two can be related. Has anyone ever experienced any of these issues before or does anyone have an idea where it can come from? I’m lost atm and I haven’t got a clue exactly what to do now :( My stream is important to me and I’d hate to be clueless like this and let my viewers down.

Two things you are gonna need:
– SpeedTest / http://www.speedtest.net/result/2669768278.png (I have a 40/4 connection)
– PingTest / http://www.pingtest.net/result/80381540.png (looks good to me)

TL:DR Upload was cutting out, virusscanner got deleted and upon returning home, I have ping+60 on every server and every game. Help please!

Much thanks to everyone who reads, again. If you have any idea about any of this, please let me know.

– Patrick / Pledge

Last edited by ThePledge,

Old_Grandma

OGizzle

help this man asap, he is a valued member of this community. Put your best men on this task A fucking SAP

beach

[DA]
[DA]

Only you would write such an epic about your net connection pledge <3 :D

eier

KK
KOS

It’s probably not a good solution, but when i have any lag issues on a windows computer, i just kill all processes that uses any cpu(except the one’s you’re using).

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Router brand/model, how are you connected to it, network card brand/type and driver version.
And if you’re sharing a connection, you might want to get a router that can prioritise your streaming traffic, but that won’t save you from a housemate with torrents ;)

ThePledge

1 Modem, 1 Router (NetGear WGR614), 3 cables to 3 PC’s in the house.
Realtek Network Card, no idea which one. Latest drivers were installed today at the PC shop when he double checked and downloaded them to be sure.

Had no issues streaming at all even when they were watching youtube or something. They are usually not at home during the afternoon, and they are asleep without torrents now.

ThePledge

Been playing TF2 pub for the past 2 hours. After 2 hours, right now, my ping went down to my standard 20, but it’s still a little spikey and unstable. Very confused :(

At the time:
– SpeedTest / http://www.speedtest.net/result/2669862158.png
– PingTest / http://www.pingtest.net/result/80383918.png

Last edited by ThePledge,

TviQ

ft.

Switch your streaming server to NL instead of london or speedtest to london and not <50miles from where you live

Chiakii

Did u try Format C:?
Optinally you could set up a second Partition and Install Windows with only your Hardware Drivers and Steam + TF2, and see if the problem still exists. This way you could space out the possibility of a Software/Hardware problem.

Obviously this is the “Last Resort” of Fixing problems for Gamers nowadays.
I can’t believe people really bring their PC to a Store instead of trying to Format their hard drive first, lol.

dAGNER

duplo

Just take a big ol’ magnet and run it across your harddrive a couple time. Should fix the problem

Old_Grandma

OGizzle

Quoted from dAGNER

Just take a big ol’ magnet and run it across your harddrive a couple time. Should fix the problem

ban this nerd already.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Chiakii

I can’t believe people really bring their PC to a Store instead of trying to Format their hard drive first, lol.

Because they don’t want to lose their data and don’t know how to keep it and/or don’t even know what ‘format’ means.

You don’t either it seems; how would formatting his drive do anything? It would just leave him with a drive ready for data to be put on it. What use is that? In other words, take your uninformed elitism elsewhere please, you’re not helping.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Miek

prfsnlgmr

So it all went bad after removing AVG and installing Avast? Have you tried removing Avast and seeing if it’s better?

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

Quoted from dAGNER

worked for me, thanks for help

ThePledge

Quoted from Miek

So it all went bad after removing AVG and installing Avast? Have you tried removing Avast and seeing if it’s better?

I’m gonna streamtest today and then try that out indeed. It seems the most logical conclusion based on what’s happened yesterday. The weird thing is though that my ping went completely normal after 1 AM, which makes me feel like my roommates did do some torrenting in the middle of the night.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I’ll probably streamtest at the usual time of 14.00 CEST and I’d it for you guys to join me to help me out :)

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »