Forum

Why limit updaterate, cmdrate, etc...

Created 17th October 2011 @ 23:54

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Fox

fleisch!

Just out of pure interest, why was update- and cmdrate limited to 40-66, and interp_ratio to 1? A friend of mine is unable to play because of 40 as minimum (he’s got a really crappy internet connection, though playing was fine for him until this limit was set) cmd/updaterate and interp_ratio 1 is actually screwing with my config.

AnimaL

interp_ratio 1 is just plain stupid from who ever made cfg

and cmdrate/updaterate limits are there so u wont lag the shit out of everyone with ur lag compensation ( 66 is max and it doesnt really matter what u set max as )

40 rate minimum has been around for like 2+ years, so unlucky for ur friend but its about time to get more than 10kB/s line :DDDDDD

Casual

prtyboiz
T⑨

You can get around the cl_interp_ratio 1 limitation by using cl_interp to set your interpolation amount directly.

so u wont lag the shit out of everyone with ur lag compensation

That doesn’t make any sense on so many levels…

IPZIE

SUAVE

CHRIS ITS YOUR TURN!

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

YEAH I WANNA PLAY WITH RATE 7500 and 25 cmd and updaterate!!!!!

Waebi

‹Con›

I call voodoo

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

There’s nothing wrong with interp ratio afaik. All it does is multiply the set interp? Basically all it did for you was save you from your own bad interp settings.

Last edited by Koeitje,

Fox

fleisch!

interp_ratio is used to determine which packets should be used when calculating the interpolation from one packet to the next. When set to 2, every second packet is used. The advantage of this is that if somehow a packet is lost, the next one can be used instead of the second next one. It’s like a backup packet. So I have been wondering why it has been limited and so far none of your answers actually make sense. :<

Quoted from AnimaL

and cmdrate/updaterate limits are there so u wont lag the shit out of everyone with ur lag compensation

Correct me if I am wrong, but netsettings are there so they can be adapted to your connection. Like I said, my friend could play fine (and he still can on publics etc.), none of the teams we played against ever complained, but now since its a minimum of 40, he lags like hell. He notices the lag, and everybody else now sees him lagging, too.

Basically these rules have crippled net settings optimization and kicked out players with bad internet connections.

Last edited by Fox,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from AnimaL

and cmdrate/updaterate limits are there so u wont lag the shit out of everyone with ur lag compensation

lol :D

Quoted from Koeitje

There’s nothing wrong with interp ratio afaik. All it does is multiply the set interp? Basically all it did for you was save you from your own bad interp settings.

It is the method by which it does it that matters.

Quoted from smziii

YEAH I WANNA PLAY WITH RATE 7500 and 25 cmd and updaterate!!!!!

Clientside interpolation has no effect on the rest of the server, cmdrate/updaterate do (yes, even updaterate). Completely different.

Quoted from Fox

interp_ratio is used to determine which packets should be used when calculating the interpolation from one packet to the next. When set to 2, every second packet is used. The advantage of this is that if somehow a packet is lost, the next one can be used instead of the second next one. It’s like a backup packet. So I have been wondering why it has been limited and so far none of your answers actually makes sense. :<

That’s because nobody in this thread appears to understand how cl_interp_ratio works, or what it does (hi AnimaL :D).

I agree that cl_interp_ratio should have any value >0 allowed, it would be beneficial for some. It would also stop all the crap using cl_interp.

In ideal situations (no choke/loss), the following settings are ideal:

cl_cmdrate 66
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_updaterate 66

Interpolation is done on the client, so doing the following should benefit some with no effect to other players (hi AnimaL, again :D)

cl_cmdrate 66
cl_interp 0
cl_interp_ratio 2
cl_updaterate 66

Bear in mind that you will never reach cl_interp 0. cl_interp just sets the threshold for cl_interp_ratio / cl_updaterate. As such, setting a threshold of 0 means you will always get the lowest available interpolation.

I see no reason not to allow this.

Last edited by octochris,

octochris

(0v0)

When I updated the configs yesterday I changed the max interp ratio so that it will now allow up to cl_interp_ratio 3. Enjoy! :)

Add A Reply Pages: 1