Forum

TF2 Huge FPS Drops

Created 2nd October 2011 @ 17:46

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

caned

MEAT
LEGO

I’m getting FPS drops from 120 to around 2fps every 5 minutes, they last about 3-5 seconds each. It’s been happening for about a week, I’ve done nothing differently and I have no idea what’s causing it.

I had a look at that “TF2 freezing constantly” thread just now, but it seems people are mixing internet problems and hardware/software problems in there.

edit: should say my computer can easily cope with tf2, and remains at a steady 120fps constantly even with loads of action on screen until this happens, and it can happen at any time, in respawn room or in the middle of a gunfight.

Last edited by caned,

LOLiver

.flac

Quoted from caned

I’m getting FPS drops from 120 to around 2fps every 5 minutes, they last about 3-5 seconds each. It’s been happening for about a week, I’ve done nothing differently and I have no idea what’s causing it.

I had a look at that “TF2 freezing constantly” thread just now, but it seems people are mixing internet problems and hardware/software problems in there.

edit: should say my computer can easily cope with tf2, and remains at a steady 120fps constantly even with loads of action on screen until this happens, and it can happen at any time, in respawn room or in the middle of a gunfight.

desktop or laptop? i had a problem like this (not as major) on my laptop

Last edited by LOLiver,

caned

MEAT
LEGO

Desktop

LOLiver

.flac

you could try looking at event viewer to see if theres any sort of errors happening while your playing tf2. If there is a error (which may cause your tf2 lag), the majority of the time it will tell you which file it is conflicting with. If not its prob the video drivers

dougiie

CotC

re-install fps config?

AnimaL

antivirus temps or internet

caned

MEAT
LEGO

It’s not an internet problem, it happens when I create a local server. Also no error messages appear in event viewer.

Stuff I’ve tried so far:

Re-installed my fps config.

Defragged and validated tf2 files.

Played with anti-virus off.

Spike Himself

TC

First, turn off steam cloud sync as leaving it on will render this useless:
Make a backup of your config etc and then delete the entire tf folder (and hl2 folder?) (keep the gcf files because they take 3 years to download) (anything in the tf folder will be re-downloaded as you launch tf2). Then try playing with default hud/config. If that fixes it get your hud back in, then your config, etc.

Last edited by Spike Himself,

AnimaL

are your temps ok?

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from AnimaL

are your temps ok?

are your temps ok?

AnimaL

Quoted from Si^

[…]

are your temps ok?

why u still havnt replied to that mumble thread?!

Last edited by AnimaL,

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from AnimaL

[…]why u still havnt replied to that mumble thread?!

Which one? Oh the guy added me and I told him

AnimaL

Quoted from Si^

[…]

Which one? Oh the guy added me and I told him

well, how do u launch mumble with low priority

caned

MEAT
LEGO

Quoted from Spike Himself

First, turn off steam cloud sync as leaving it on will render this useless:
Make a backup of your config etc and then delete the entire tf folder (and hl2 folder?) (keep the gcf files because they take 3 years to download) (anything in the tf folder will be re-downloaded as you launch tf2). Then try playing with default hud/config. If that fixes it get your hud back in, then your config, etc.

OK I did all that, deleting the tf folder didn’t fix it. Same problem still.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

This might sound a bit weird, but does your ping show as 5 on the scoreboard when it happens?

One of our players has a similar thing where he suddenly gets massive FPS lag, like 9-10 but his ping shows as 5 on the scoreboard when it’s normally 20 or so. Really weird.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »