Forum

Bad Internet. ISP or Router problem?

Created 8th September 2011 @ 22:03

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Morphine

(Cat Enthusiast)
一一═デ︻

I’m still plagued with shitty internet, and simply restarting my router doesn’t seem to help much anymore. I want to know if there are tests I can do to determine if it’s my line that’s shitty or it’s the routers that I’m using. I don’t want to buy a fancy new router then realize it’s actually our ISP with issues.

I get randomly disconnected from the internet at times. I don’t suffer from high ping or anything, although sometimes, my ping goes all the way to the thousands then finally dies.

I’m with Sky Broadband, don’t really know who to call and what to say “Hi, I have shit internet and I would like you to fix it”. Been googling some stuff, did this thing called ‘Quiet Line’ test, that seemed fine.

Oh, and my internet tends to be shit when there is rain (which fucking sucks coz it’s autumn in England now)
I’m behind 2 routers, for some unknown reason my brother thinks it’s a good idea. I dunno how this stuff works, help me out.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou

atmo

When your ping spikes up, do a tracert in command line to the site/server you are lagging to. Then you can see which leg is causing issues

Morphine

(Cat Enthusiast)
一一═デ︻

Quoted from atmo

When your ping spikes up, do a tracert in command line to the site/server you are lagging to. Then you can see which leg is causing issues

What do you mean? I just suffered another disconnect a few mins ago, how can I do a tracert for that

wrock

vier

Had the same problem a while ago…

Maybe on your connection line got more and more people and now its just overloaded..
Of course..a better Router could work….

Try to phone your Isp….maybe they can anjust something….

By throtteling the inet speed my disconnects disappeared

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

Get a wire directly to your router, I had plenty of connection issues with wireless, now they’re all gone.

It’s worth a shot at least.

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from WARHURYEAH

Get a wire directly to your router, I had plenty of connection issues with wireless, now they’re all gone.

if not possible try… http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B000TV25K8 welll maybe not that model but they are better than wireless and provide the benefit of not having a wire going around your house.

GibbZ

WOOOOO!

I use those powerline. Erm they can be decent but depends on your houses wiring.

Morphine

(Cat Enthusiast)
一一═デ︻

Quoted from WARHURYEAH

Even if it did, going wired isn’t really an option for me. Our router is in the hallway and mummy/daddy don”t want wires around :

Quoted from Morphine

[…]

Even if it did, going wired isn’t really an option for me. Our router is in the hallway and mummy/daddy don”t want wires around :

punch’em

Morphine

(Cat Enthusiast)
一一═デ︻

Quoted from Tommy Testosterone

[…]
punch’em

Gotta get those internet molecules flowing

d2m

vertex »
derptex9

Do you have access to the master bt socket in your house? it has a horizontal plastic indent across it. Grab a phillips size 2 or 3 screwdriver and take the two screws out of the faceplate. Remove the faceplate carefully and plug your router directly into the master socket, leave your phone unplugged whilst doing this. If that solves any issues, you will need to look at a new faceplate on the master socket.

If you still have problems, try plugging just an analog (corded) phone into the socket and see if you can hear any crackling/noise on the line when lifting the receiver and during a test call.

Finally and this is one of the most annoying support calls i get, make sure you have a microfilter on every socket. The noise from a device plugged in without a microfilter can cause slow speeds and disconnects.

Hope that helps, sorry if any typos – writing this from a mobile.

Vode

I’d phone your ISP, they can see from their end if it’s a problem on their part or your own. I had a problem like this and it saved me a shitload of time when it turned out to be them and they fixed it over the phone in a matter of minutes.

Last edited by Vode,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Morphine

I’m behind 2 routers, for some unknown reason my brother thinks it’s a good idea

if that’s true, then your brother is a moron :D

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

hi morfine gonna hijack ur thread xoxo

Can someone recommend me a powerline thing like Si^ posted? Also what kind of thing do I need to check if I’m going to run one, and in what way does the wiring have to be ‘good’ in my house.

Last edited by Sideshow,

Stimpy

As a guess u internet is on a long line…. whats ur estimated speeds? or speed test results?

you could try removing the bell wire, this can help stability issues.

http://broadband-speedup.blogspot.com/

Has to be done on the master socket, also if you have an outside bell for the phone this will stop working. and any antiques phones http://www.antiquetelephones.abdyantiques.co.uk/antique-old-telephone.jpg with bell in, the modern ones will not be effected.

GL.

—Edit—
Is your sky tv plug’d into a phone socket? if so make sure its filtered they play havok with broadband, Also monitored alarm system if not filtered cause huge issues aswell.

Last edited by Stimpy,

Add A Reply Pages: 1