Forum

GFX card's upgrade

Created 25th June 2010 @ 00:16

Add A Reply Pages: 1

freshmeatt

‹Con›

First of all, my config.

Mobo: ASUS P4B533-E.
CPU: P4 Northwood 3.2GHz @ 2.65GHz (can’t get it much faster because of memory).
RAM: 1.5 GB DDR RAM by Kingston (PC2100, 1x1GB, 2x256MB)
GPU: Sparkle Geforce 7600GS AGP (passive cooling).

Would love to know if there’s a point in purchasing 7600GT or 7800GS.
EDIT: aaand, as we’re on the topic, shouldn’t memory on 7600GS work at 400MHz+?
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1260511

Last edited by freshmeatt,

Vaskie | old

Honestly i would just upgrade the CPU + Mobo + Graphic Card cause even if you get a better Graphic Card it won’t do much difference to what you have right now as it will be bottlenecked by the CPU.

For me the best bang for buck is still:

CPU – E8400
GPU – HD5750
Mobo – P5KPL-AM EPU

But hey.. thats me, a Pentium 4 won’t be doing much by today standards..

Sketch

MM

7600gs used to overclock pretty well. buy a fan for a fiver and see what you can do.

tbh if you aren’t going to fully upgrade everything in that system, then imo it it totally pointless upgrading at all. just a waste of money all together so just try oc on the graphics and save the cash for a full upgrade.

Septique

Why an earth would you purchase another super old graphics card? Why not try 8800GT or something instead? Not that much a difference between the price but a difference in the performance yeah.

octochris

(0v0)

Listen to Septique. There is very little price variance, there’s no point going for such an inferior model when you could get something better for pretty much the same price.

Skyride

DUCS

Ye, Pretty much what Septique and Chris said. The Geforce 7xxx series is ancient history in terms of graphics cards, Theres been 5 years and another 7 series of Nvidia cards released since then (and the ATI HD 1xxx series was actually a lot better value for money even when the Geforce 7xxx series was new).

I would like to point out btw, an 8800GT will be bottlenecked by your CPU (and the AGP slot itself, but that’ll only become the problem if you upgrade your CPU).

Also, your CPU is a huge bottleneck on its own as well. I mean thats not even a Prescott P4, thats a northwood P4, those things aren’t even 775 socket, thats a 478 socket CPU, so thats actually 2 entire generations of Intel CPU behind (the CPU in your PC came out May 2003 fyi).

Brutally honestly, don’t even upgrade it all. Just wait till its totally unbearable and buy a new PC entirely.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Skyride

Brutally honestly, don’t even upgrade it all. Just wait till its totally unbearable and buy a new PC entirely.

+1

freshmeatt

‹Con›

OK, I will see what I can do. I thought that CPU is the biggest issue here, but wanted to be sure. Will try to save for whole new setup (actually, I gotta buy everything except chassis, not even HDDs can be saved (IDE)). Thanks for advice.

Last edited by freshmeatt,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from freshmeatt

(actually, I gotta buy everything except chassis, not even HDDs can be saved (IDE))

Most modern motherboards still have one IDE slot thingy (so there’s room for 2 IDE devices).

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Most modern motherboards still have one IDE slot thingy (so there’s room for 2 IDE devices).

Thats like buying a new car and keeping the old, wrecked seats.

A 500GB HDD only costs about £35.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Skyride

[…]

Thats like buying a new car and keeping the old, wrecked seats.

A 500GB HDD only costs about £35.

I’m not saying it’s a good idea to keep using the old drives, just pointing out it’s not impossible to :)

Add A Reply Pages: 1