Forum

virgin media timing out

Created 18th May 2010 @ 21:27

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Atkins

Velox.
TSPAG

i time out like every 15 minutes, its doing mine and my clan mates heads in, some day it can be fine but recently it has got much worse.

has anyone else with virgin media have/had this problem
or
Can anyone else help me fix this problem

Si^

T2P
[PG]

was thinking about gettin virgin media for my next house u got the 50mb connection?

because when i looked in to them they seemed to cap heavily if you didnt.

syX

‹Con›

Had this, called them out about 5 times and finally they rewired everything, which fixed it.

dougiie

CotC

I have virgin 20mb – 5 student house

its great, decides to time out maybe once every two weeks maybe, but not that often…

Skype is the bastard child of ruining connections though, when someone is on it, kills the whole connection pretty much :D

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from dougiie

I have virgin 20mb – 5 student house

its great, decides to time out maybe once every two weeks maybe, but not that often…

Skype is the bastard child of ruining connections though, when someone is on it, kills the whole connection pretty much :D

awesome gonna get it for 5 student house but 50mb so shud b awesome

Last edited by Si^,

psunfragga

cc//

I think its dependent on the area. My pings been pretty decent all yr around on their 20mb package, i have 1 wow/aion nerd and 1 skype user with me.

Recently its been having weird spikes and in the past our modem and router have had ”power” issues which just caused packet loss/spiking/total loss of internet.

I’m onto modem 4 now. Usually when you drop the ”I’m a sys admin” phrase they send an engy right out to you.

Last edited by psunfragga,

dougiie

CotC

Quoted from Si^

[…]

awesome gonna get it for 5 student house but 50mb so shud b awesome

yeah 50mb should be alright, Im upstairs on wireless, should really have got one of those plugs :P
but yeah, skype / streaming movies make my ping go from being 30 to 500+ , some advanced warning :)

Hansa

.idk?

Quoted from dougiie

skype is the devil.
Fucking eating all the internet. I know about what i’m talking.

Black_Bob

[DA]

Ive got a 10 meg connection down in plymouth and its flawless, On any uk server average ping of 20 germany 50, one night every six months the nets down due to maintance but otherwise I cant complain!

bertoman

BLLB

pretty sure fishuu has regular problems with Virgin Media, maybe chat to him.
x

Fisshu

infs
[FB]

I have had a 50mb Virgin line, shared with 3 other house mates, for the past 8 months and it has been a nightmare. At some points the net dies 3-5 times a night, i’ve called virgin a couple of times and they have sent people round to look at the problem, but it’s never been resolved. Their servers get too busy and can’t handle the amount of traffic,

DO NOT GET VIRGIN MEDIA BY ANY MEANS.

Admittedly, the 8mb/s download is rather nice but you won’t use it as often as you think, and if any of your house mates are on spotify it will lag the whole line to shit. I also have to admit that recently it hasn’t been that bad, but I won’t be renewing my years contract with them. I’d strongly recommend BE broadband or something, stay away from the popular ISP’s.

Abunai

I used to have Virgin Media, timed out 24/7.
I’m with Talk Talk now and I haven’t timed out once (about 2 years now). Nice speeds and no download limits or traffic shaping :–)

skanzZ

[8U]
LEMon

Had the 20meg one last year in a house of 9 :o but there was only ever 3 people on at once. (Only me who used it for anything other than facebook/web browsing).

Was the worst year of my life. Ping could be 40, but choke and loss were both huge. The net graph would constantly have gaps and ever minute or so would have a 1 second drop. I would get disconnected at least once a night, often many times more.

The wireless would also often drop and the router wouldnt be found for a few minutes.

The thing is, I wasnt able to work out why it dropped. I would limit the router so only I was connected, and then it would still drop me at 3am when presumably traffic should be pretty low.

We rang up to ask about it and they said they could send somebody round but we would be charged if he couldnt find anything wrong. Being charged for somebody elses incompetance didnt sound like fun so I just had to live with it for the year.

So yea. Hate Virgin.

Never going near them again.

Last edited by skanzZ,

Skyride

DUCS

I’ve personally got BT 8mbit at one house and 10mbit Virgin in another. Both are brilliant until my sister decides to go on youtube/skype. So if thats your problem, heres a solution:

1) Move the router next to your PC/Laptop
2) Buy a router with an aerial that screws off easily
3) Profit

dougiie

CotC

Quoted from Skyride

1) Move the router next to your PC/Laptop
2) Buy a router with an aerial that screws off easily
3) Profit

4) KILL SKYPE

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »