Forum

Best ISP in Britain for low latency/packet loss?

Created 2nd March 2015 @ 21:01

Add A Reply Pages: 1

shapeless

Currently stuck with BT BusinessHub “super fast fibre optic broadband”. Attempting to play TF2 causes my internet to disconnect. On the rare occasion I can actually play, I’m typically getting 60 m/s and 2k packets lost. Can anyone recommend me a solid ISP that can give me low ping and minimal packet loss?

Bona

PMW

It’s Britain, watcha gonna do about it ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Meeto

Anything but BT to be honest.

R4ndom

Devon

Not gonna lie, but Virgin has working pretty good for me, almost a year and it hasn’t gone down at least one unexpectedly (the only time they actually called me to talk about it telling me that it was because they were installing Fibre).

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

ISP quality is pretty much based on where you live tbh, where I am VM had good download but shit upload and it would spike after around 10pm. With BT it’s really good, consistent upload and download with no issues.

When I lived with my mum was with VM and it was dogshit, 20 miles away my dad was on VM as well and had no issues at all.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

I wish you could try it out for a while and see how good it is before you enrol on a huge 12 month contract or w/e. It drives me mad that there’s such a difference between service providers due to location.

I’ve got occasional lags here on VM and low upload speeds, but the latency is good. When I move house in the same city, I can guarantee that it’ll be a lot different. But I don’t know whether switching will be better or worse. There’s no way to tell.

sad-panda

array i just got fiber optic from bt and it seems pretty damn good for me have you tried contacting their support team could be a issue with your line or something. I know they have to send a engineer out for free if your not getting a certain speed.

this is evil evil

If you are sure the issues is not client-related and it is in fact a bad line, you should contact your ISP’s tech support. They will most likely be able to help you (or try at least).

“super fast fibre optic broadband” I don’t think that means you actually are getting a fibre-connection, but more a connection via COAX? I don’t know britains ISPs, but the ISPs here in Ireland, tends to use these terms and then subsequently gives you a shitty 10mbit/512kbit connection via PSTN, which by no means is a fibre-powered connection.

EDIT: Yeah, internet via PSTN: http://business.bt.com/broadband-and-internet/broadband/ – Either way, you should check your router to see how much you actually are getting. You might pay for ex. 20/1, but if you live far away from the DSLAM, the line’s quality will not be very good.

Last edited by this is evil evil,

Quoted from this is evil evil

“super fast fibre optic broadband” I don’t think that means you actually are getting a fibre-connection, but more a connection via COAX? I don’t know britains ISPs, but the ISPs here in Ireland, tends to use these terms and then subsequently gives you a shitty 10mbit/512kbit connection via PSTN, which by no means is a fibre-powered connection.

BT Infinity is fibre-to-the-cabinet (FTTC), which means it’s a fibre connection to somewhere close (end of the road sometimes) and then copper to your door.

I had amazing results with BT Infinity before (42Mb download, 10Mb up, plus 5-15ms ping to most servers). I’m now on Virgin Broadband and get a consistent 30-50ms ping to most EU servers.

stephen

Don’t get talk talk or any mobile phone business Internet such as orange or T-Mobile, Virgin is fine for me , 50down5up in my area

Oxy

TC.Express

Honestly I think the key is to ask people in your area who is good. I’ve heard good/bad things about nearly every ISP in england.

AB

VM is trash in my area. Regularly spikes up to 500ms ping and connection goes as low as 2 down when it’s supposed to be a 100 down connection. Only happens during peak times but that’s still no excuse for such a drop.

It’s mostly location dependent. Your only options are basically Virgin Media or BT because anything that isn’t fibre will most likely run on BT’s copper which the majority of England is on, causing high traffic. If you’re not gonna get fibre from VM there’s not much reason to go with them.

Fibre from both should be good enough and any major issues with one will be your location or they’ve made a mistake in upgrading you.

shapeless

Switched my ethernet cable and reset my router; internet seems to disconnect a lot less frequently now. Cheers for all the help everyone.

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

Sky is very good where I live so we have that. Never had a good experience with virgin but that could be down to where I live. Same for BT, actually, it was worse than virgin.

Add A Reply Pages: 1