Forum

Need people good at maths !

Created 5th November 2013 @ 15:06

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 6 Next »

Trath

Quoted from knuck

[…]

Am I wrong ? This is why I asked someone who’s good at maths !

You are either wrong or confused or trolling.

If you want to to calculate the average unemployment rate in the 27 country’s you listed, then do as told.

If you want to calculate the unemployment rate of all the country’s combined, you add the number of unemployed people in each country, and divide by the sum of people in each country.

knuck

DA!

There is no exercise whatsoever. I have a project to do and I need to make these calculations.
And I’ve made some researches and I’ve found :

P is the name of every pourcentages,
√ 27(P1*P2*P3*….*P26*P27)=(P1*P2*P3*….P26*P27)^(1/27)
= 10.04

EDIT : Trath, there is no reason for me to troll :) just asking for help, as you can see I’m not a genius at maths.

Last edited by knuck,

Trath

Quoted from knuck

You can’t divide it by 27, since every pourcentage is made according to the country’s numbers. I’d have divided it by 27 if it had the same denominator

The definition of percent is out of 100.
All of the percentages listed have the common denominator of 100. (I assume the denominator is the bottom number of the fraction)

If you had listed it as:

Austria 87593 / 210000
Belgium 98212 / 154789
ETC

Then you would need to convert them all to a common denominator. (Which would be a percentage for convenience)

Falcon0408

Quoted from knuck

There is no exercise whatsoever. I have a project to do and I need to make these calculations.
And I’ve made some researches and I’ve found :

P is the name of every pourcentages,
√ 27(P1*P2*P3*….*P26*P27)=(P1*P2*P3*….P26*P27)^(1/27)
= 10.04

EDIT : Trath, there is no reason for me to troll :) just asking for help, as you can see I’m not a genius at maths.

That’s a geometric mean, useless in this situation since they are all percentages. just add them up and divide by 27. also I think your number for Spain is wrong, should make them all the same decimal places.

Last edited by Falcon0408,

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

He is confused (I think) because each country has a different population and therefore a different weight towards the total average of Europe, which none of you have taken into consideration.

For example if Germany averages 5.2% and Slovakia Republic 14%, the true average for both countries combined is not 9.6% because Germany has a much bigger weight towards it. This is my opinion anyway, not sure if it’s right.

knuck

DA!

Quoted from Permzilla

He is confused (I think) because each country has a different population and therefore a different weight towards the total average of Europe, which none of you have taken into consideration.

For example if Germany averages 5.2% and Slovakia Republic 14%, the true average for both countries combined is not 9.6% because Germany has a much bigger weight towards it. This is my opinion anyway, not sure if it’s right.

This is what I was about to write. All the pourcentages made before were made using the total population / total unemployed populated of the country only.

Be proud to wear that Admin tag Permizilla.

Falcon0408

Quoted from Permzilla

True, it depends really on what you want to show with the calculation. If you want it to be weighted like you say then percentage won’t work, need to use the actual number of unemployed and then a geometric mean would work since 5.2% of Germany’s population is certainly higher than most of the other countries with higher percentages. Seems like a pretty useless statistic to calculate though tbh.

Last edited by Falcon0408,

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

Quoted from Permzilla

perm wid da pars
edit: to much pars

Last edited by Starkie,

feeling

ist doof

Quoted from Permzilla

Unemployment rate reflects the ratio of unemployed to labor force, making population a non-factor. That’s the beauty of it. Also, you couldn’t weigh countries according to population because the demographic composition and hence the ratio of labor force to population is different in each country.

Last edited by feeling,

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from feeling

[…]
Unemployment rate reflects the ratio of unemployed to employed people, making population a non-factor. That’s the beauty of it, especially because absolute numbers are generally meaningless.

Okay, so in Germany for example 52/1000 people are unemployed, and in Slovakia it’s 140/1000.

The total population of Germany is ~82m which means about 4,264,000 (ignore children etc for the sake of argument) are unemployed.
The total population of Slovakia is ~5.5m which means about 770,000 are unemployed.

According to you the average would be 9.6% which would mean that 9.6% of the total 87.5m are unemployed (8,400,000) where as in fact if you add up the numbers it’s quite clearly about 5,034,000.

I…hope that makes sense.

Quoted from feeling

[…]
hence the ratio of work force to population is different in each country.

Okay so the numbers are slightly different but the theory remains.

Last edited by Permzilla,

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

if you want to find the total % unemployment of europe, how can the population be a non-factor?
edit: perm to much pars again

Last edited by Starkie,

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Perm is right, you will get the average unemployment rates of all EU countries but not the average unemployment rate in the EU. For the latter, you have to consider the population as well.

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

Quoted from Permzilla

[…]

Okay, so in Germany for example 52/1000 people are unemployed, and in Slovakia it’s 140/1000.

The total population of Germany is ~82m which means about 4,264,000 (ignore children etc for the sake of argument) are unemployed.
The total population of Slovakia is ~5.5m which means about 770,000 are unemployed.

According to you the average would be 9.6% which would mean that 9.6% of the total 87.5m are unemployed (8,400,000) where as in fact if you add up the numbers it’s quite clearly about 5,034,000.

I…hope that makes sense.

[…]

Okay so the numbers are slightly different but the theory remains.

germany has 2.8m unemployed people btw

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

My only contribution is for the lovely knuck.

Dude, it’s percentage. There is no pouring in dividing by a hundred…unless it’s a hundred pints being poured into 23 bellies.

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from smziii

[…]

germany has 2.8m unemployed people btw

Like I said the numbers are definitely incorrect, but I’m not going through all the effort to find them just to prove a point which I can do with incorrect numbers :D

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 ... 6 Next »