Forum

RSI

Created 22nd June 2012 @ 13:02

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

dodgydogman

Panda

Are you doing anything to prevent getting it?
Does anyone have symptoms and wished they had done something before, stretching hands every time you die or in between matches?

Ghostface

spire

I used to have this horrible pain in my right-shoulder a while ago. Felt like it was on the nerves rather than muscle/bone. It’d occur every now-and-then especially(if not only) while I was sitting in front of my PC.

Nevertheless, I think it stopped happening once I started going to the gym again. I lost track once it disappeared.

BoneS

swimp
ciortai

I get it occasionally, been getting it for the past week usually a sign that its time to step outside and go for a jog or something.

Spike Himself

TC

I spent 15 minutes typing this post because it hurts so much.

Rin

I get a really intense ache/numbness/dull pain in my left hand when playing sometimes, especially classes where I’m constantly moving i.e. medic. I’m not sure what causes it but I know I’ve had this problem for about 3 years while playing games for any periods of time.

SiTeHBu0mbb

DOWN

I have eRSI (eye) because I keep dominating enemies and the sign that pops up hurts me now.

On a serious note: Back in my D2 farming days I did have it, playing CS (or any shooter) made it go away/bearable. Trick to it was to break the regular pattern.

Alternatively go and get some better setup according to those RSI-experts (ergodynamic keyboard/mouse didn’t seem to help much)

dr.Justice

≧◡≦

Arrh.. the gamers affliction. I have suffered from this many times 3-5 days off, take anti inflammatory tablets and ice the affected area, no need for anything expensive the cheap Tesco’s ones will do the trick.

byte

Best way round RSI is gradual physiotherapy with your wrists, and no that doesn’t mean fap fap away.

It means starting off by getting a table tennis racket or very light racket doing a few strokes every 30minutes.

Then once the muscles are strengthened get a squash or badminton racket and swing it left n right 50-100times. Do that once every hour (8 times) for 5 days in a week.

Yes it’s a bore and yes it’s tedious but in the long term it will help u. Also getting RSI at an early age is such a bad thing fyi.

So I would do some physio asap now while u are young, or quit using the PC.

If you need more medical advice add me on steam or ask me on irc.

Cheers

Byte

dodgydogman

Panda

Quoted from byte

It means starting off by getting a table tennis racket or very light racket doing a few strokes every 30minutes.

I dont have rsi or really any symptoms, but id hate to get it.
What do you mean by that, like swing it a few times like you would normally?

Gubbins

Op4

Quoted from dodgydogman

[…]
I dont have rsi or really any symptoms, but id hate to get it.
What do you mean by that, like swing it a few times like you would normally?

Basically play imaginary table tennis for that many swings

Ghostface

spire

Quoted from byte

text

Man, screw the Ask Byte thing. Make your own TV show and call it ‘Doctor Ahmad’.

FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

Quoted from byte

Stop playing a girl’s sport

/trollbyte

kaidus

WiK?

I got hit pretty hard 2 years ago. Had a pretty bad PC setup and played too long without taking a break and bam. From fine to fucked over night. Literally fucked. I couldn’t carry a drink upstairs with my right hand, open a can of coke, use scissors, chop food, grind my weed (this was the worst as the weed was naturally a very handy tool during this period), the list goes on and on. Didn’t play games again for months (still used a PC cause it was so ingrained on my lifestyle, but I spent my time just watching movies or playing poker with my left hand), went and saw a doctor who was completely useless and pawned me off with some pain killers and anti-inflammatorys (completley ineffective I should add). Didn’t really think about it much at the time, I took the doctors response and assumed it wasn’t that serious so I just chilled thinking it would go away. It’s true to an extent, I stopped using the PC and it got better (better enough to start using the PC again). I couldn’t behave how I used to though; I bought a new desk and chair to accommodate the injury, and had to take significant breaks regularly and play barely any games to begin with. This all started around the start of summer, and by the time i40 rolled around at the end of august I was fed up and just jumped back into playing TF2. My hand would ache after not a whole lot of playing, but being the heroic nerd I am I carried on anyway.

Couple years later it’s gotten a lot better – still aches if I play for a long time and I avoid games that require too much of me physically. I do stretches regularly and hope to start some restrengthening exercises soon but I plan to consult with a physio prior to doing that. Overall my response to the injury was fucking stupid and I wouldn’t recommend being as blasé as I was; I think I’m pretty fortunate not to have fucked myself for life at this point. Bottom line though is that it fucking blows so if you feel symptoms take necessary precautions.

Last edited by kaidus,

Swifty

ξ(゜ヮ゜)ξ

Quoted from kaidus

kaidus rsi story

That night of mge/ammomod as demoman :DDD Who was your opponent? Do they know they caused you RSI?

Last edited by Swifty,

kaidus

WiK?

Fuck MGE, never touched that shit nigga.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »