Forum

Kill foreground window (crashed games, etc)

Created 7th May 2012 @ 16:27

Add A Reply Pages: 1

octochris

(0v0)

I finally got so pissed off with crashed games refusing to release focus that I quickly put something very simple together to kill the foreground window’s process.

Binary: https://github.com/downloads/cdown/winkillfg/winkillfg.exe
Source: https://github.com/cdown/winkillfg/blob/master/winkillfg.c

You probably want to bind it to a key or something, and press that key when the window hangs and refuses to minimise. I don’t have any previous experience with Windows’ C interface, so if I am doing something naive/wrong I would like to hear about it.

Last edited by octochris,

AnimaL

ctrl+alt+delete and end task usually is like few more clicks away :o

unless its some xp problem? :D

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from AnimaL

ctrl+alt+delete and end task usually is like few more clicks away :o

unless its some xp problem? :D

Crashed DirectX apps don’t always release focus to task manager. Often even when task manager is brought to the foreground the crashed process stops a redraw.

dr.Justice

≧◡≦

Sounds like you got some fucked up pc issues maybe PM Animal and he can help you out.

AnimaL

Quoted from dr.Justice

Sounds like you got some fucked up pc issues maybe PM Animal and he can help you out.

im just curious cuz i never had issues redrawing the allways on top task manager from ctrl+alt+del menu on w7… but i guess this can also help if ur lazy tbh :D 1 click app close

Last edited by AnimaL,

Spike Himself

TC

I’ve literally never had this issue. Learn to windows, Chris! :D

Anyway handy little app if you do have this issue I guess :)

octochris

(0v0)

I’ve never had it with TF2, it seems to happen on every crash with L.A. Noire.

FireStorm

-9m-

Ctrl + Alt + Del is meant to be a forced attention sequence that should override any other app and mostly unless my computer had completed frozen, ie Num lock not working is a good test of this. It normally works, however if its blocking the taskman I can see it causing a problem but I’ve never had it. Task manager does always seem to draw for me.

One problem that does annoy the hell out of me is games that will not release the foreground focus after a alt+tab. Task manager is the only process that will draw over it but short of closing the game I can’t get on any other program. I have some success with forcing a minimise from task manager but it takes too long doing it everytime.

FireStorm

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from FireStorm

Ctrl + Alt + Del is meant to be a forced attention sequence that should override any other app and mostly unless my computer had completed frozen, ie Num lock not working is a good test of this. It normally works, however if its blocking the taskman I can see it causing a problem but I’ve never had it. Task manager does always seem to draw for me.

CTRL + ALT + DEL works fine, the overlay appears. It’s after that that I get no redraw (on W7 Ultimate 32-bit).

Last edited by octochris,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from octochris

[…]

CTRL + ALT + DEL works fine, the overlay appears. It’s after that that I get no redraw (on W7 Ultimate 32-bit).

this probably sounds terribly stupid but if all it is is dx not redrawing, cant you just send it a redraw request with win32 api calls?

Last edited by Spike Himself,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

this probably sounds terribly stupid but if all it is is dx not redrawing, cant you just send it a redraw request with win32 api calls?

It’s not that it *doesn’t* redraw, it’s that it *can’t* redraw (because it has crashed).

Add A Reply Pages: 1