Forum

UK Broadband suggestions

Created 6th July 2011 @ 13:43

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from Atkins

used to despise virgin media until we upgraded to the 20mb package but i would only recommend if using ethan net cable

Gotta love that guy Ethan Net! :>

Virgin is the best, even if their customer service is a little ropey, cable full stop is the best connection you’ll get so go for them any chance you get even if its “only” 20mb.
I’m on sky and its reliable but the speeds are pretty shite (about 2-3 mbps) it went down to 0.5mpbs at one point but i rang up and they “changed” somthing and it went straight up again, so good support.

Fisshu

infs
[FB]

yeah, something similar happened to me this morning after I called up talktalk. After 40 minutes trying to get to the right customer service section my download speed went from 3.5 to 5.5 in the space of 5 minutes… apparently there was an issue with a server in London??

I really don’t trust these people, originally I was with Nildram but they were bought out by Tiscali, who sold it on to Talktalk. I haven’t really had a say in the matter, I can’t stream videos online properly and really want to get a better service. Fibre optics (Virgin’s 20/50mb service) isn’t in my area which is a great shame; I miss downloading at 8/10 megs a sec :[

I don’t get any issues with TF2, but if someone else is on the internet in my household it all goes to shit. FUCK YOU TALKTALK.

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from Fisshu

yeah, something similar happened to me this morning after I called up talktalk. After 40 minutes trying to get to the right customer service section my download speed went from 3.5 to 5.5 in the space of 5 minutes… apparently there was an issue with a server in London??

I really don’t trust these people, originally I was with Nildram but they were bought out by Tiscali, who sold it on to Talktalk. I haven’t really had a say in the matter, I can’t stream videos online properly and really want to get a better service. Fibre optics (Virgin’s 20/50mb service) isn’t in my area which is a great shame; I miss downloading at 8/10 megs a sec :[

I don’t get any issues with TF2, but if someone else is on the internet in my household it all goes to shit. FUCK YOU TALKTALK.

Yep thats what i get with Sky, streaming stuff jerks a bit or i have to buffer far in advance, if someone starts downloading somthing it rapes my tf2 :(.

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from Tapley ❤

[…]

Yep thats what i get with Sky, streaming stuff jerks a bit or i have to buffer far in advance, if someone starts downloading somthing it rapes my tf2 :(.

Get this with BT too, I mean lets face it, UK internet just sucks :(

FireStorm

-9m-

I would recommend Be Broadband myself. Heard a lot of good things about them and they seem to be more technically minded when it comes to pings and lantacy. So you can get stuff like interleaving turned off for lower pings without having to explain what a ping is. But its not available everywhere as they are a LLU.

Remeber you often get what you pay for, with Sky and TalkTalk yea great they are cheap as chips, but often as soon as the network gets busy you suffer from ping spikes and slow speeds. It does not matter to their target demographic of 50+ year olds, but to us it does.

My self I am on plusnet was going to change to Be due to fewer restrictions on download limits but after I phone them up to cancel I managed to get a £4 pm discount and upgrade to adsl 2+ and no new contract out of them. So now mine is £13 pm prioritised (on their network) service. Often ping 20 ms in game netgraph to ‘most’ uk servers even had a 15 to the epx match server this week :D

Important thing is do the research, check out for any restrictions on torrent traffic and what the download limits are. Its hard to find out what pings and service will be like until its too late as it will change for area to area but some are generally worse than others. My experience seems to be the smaller ISP are often better and offer greater service support than the big boys. (BT Sky TalkTalk)

FireStorm

Last edited by FireStorm,

dr.Justice

≧◡≦

BT Infinity, I would be with them if I had a choice. Then use a third party firmware on your router like dd-wrt so you can apply QOS restrictions to brothers, sisters or bloody mother in laws!!!

instag1b

Panda

BT infinity is great in my area. I get 5MB/s on steam, so the full 40mbits advertised.

d2m

vertex »
derptex9

bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere bethere

Daleth

ti.
[PG]

Quoted from Fisshu

I can’t get be broadband

Daleth

ti.
[PG]

I can’t get BT Infinity until at least 2015, which makes me a saaad panda.

LikeThis

Anyone on Demon? The guys who sponsor the i-series? http://www.demon.net/gamer-broadband/ .

Last edited by LikeThis,

minimoose

My line is limited, max 4 mbps + unreliable (not due to ISP). I miss my 100mbps uni connection ;(

WildCard

Quoted from FireStorm

I would recommend Be Broadband myself. Heard a lot of good things about them and they seem to be more technically minded when it comes to pings and lantacy. So you can get stuff like interleaving turned off for lower pings without having to explain what a ping is. But its not available everywhere as they are a LLU.

FireStorm

I remember last year when I tried having this conversation with BT support…..oh the joy that was took being transfered to 4 different people :)

Wolf :D

PStM
DStS

Oh god your have the same problem as me. I have 8mb but getting 50kb/s less. I’ve raged on there phones and all sorts, apparently there sending engineer down. According to there stupid speed test my speed is fine. Fucking shitty as company.

Quoted from LikeThis

Anyone on Demon? The guys who sponsor the i-series? http://www.demon.net/gamer-broadband/ .

Was with them since we first got broadband and their customer service is absolutely dire. Just no, dont, no. Now have BT infinity and its awesome. Have Virgin 50mb at uni as well and if you can set up QoS on the routers (you could on ours), even living with 8 people who love skype/spotify was ok for gaming.

So cable seems best imo, shame if you can’t get it. gl

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2