Forum

own3d.tv ....WHY?!

Created 30th May 2011 @ 10:56

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Turbo

-ƒ$-BLAH
sniper

So can i ask why vanilla tv have decided to stick with own3d.tv ?

Every video/stream I try and watch i have to watch a cunting cat advert.

The VODs never work when i want them too and the website sucks balls.

Justin TV is a much better service why wouldn’t you use it ?

Oh and yes i know you have to watch a advert on justin tv however you watch it ONCE and thats it. You do not have to watch it every single time.

It is much better quality also.

In fact sometimes you do not even need to watch an advert on justin tv which makes me happy.

Last edited by Turbo,

george

There is some limit (number of ppl) on justinTV isn’t..?

Last edited by george,

Martn

Because the crew of vanillatv is familiar with and has contacts with Own3d.tv.
BUT, i can tell that the team is checking out the alternatives at this moment.

evokje

WiK?

own3d sucks

Quoted from george

There is some limit (number of ppl) on justinTV isn’t..?

You are thinking about Usteam. JTV doesn’t have limits if I remember correctly.

Jude

notdoggo

jtv DOES have repeating adverts, but there is a considerable timer before it reappears.

However, i can see a move to jtv as nothing but a good thing in my opinion, the community is pretty big, especially for the gaming section, and it would be a great way to increase how many watch/follow or maybe even join tf2.

also its good for the communication side of things, chat is good for those that use just the stream, rather than stv/mumble

of course, correct me if own3d has this shit too, i’m just a massive jtv fanboy :D

Wabbeh

:( Own3d’s quality is so bad I can actually stream it , don’t switch.

Яyan

The adverts on JustinTV are controlled by the administrator of the channel.

The quality is no better.

Support is better.

Skyride

DUCS

Right ok, As one of the main people involved in this decision, I’ll try to clear this up as best as I can.

Personally, I’m very seriously looking into having us move to justin.tv, however it’s for a different set of reasons to the ones people keep saying, let me demonstrate:

Every video/stream I try and watch i have to watch a cunting cat advert.

Justin.tv has adverts on every stream too. Infact if we go with justin.tv, we’ll probably be playing the occasional ad mid-game, as we actually get revenue from these. Infact we’ll actually be getting less money from these ads if we switch to Justin.

The VODs never work when i want them too and the website sucks balls.

There is indeed a problem with the VODS on the site. TF2TV had problems with this too and we’re speaking to their contacts at own3d about this. But the site sucks? Have you actually used Justin.tv’s site lately? I’m not saying either site is great, but by comparison, own3d is definitely a lot easier to navigate.

Oh and yes i know you have to watch a advert on justin tv however you watch it ONCE and thats it. You do not have to watch it every single time.

You need to watch an advert when you load the stream on own3d. If you F5 the page or restart the stream, you need to watch an ad again. Justin.tv have some mechanism that means you don’t always get shown an advert when you F5. I’m presuming its like “if this person tuned in less than 20mins ago, don’t show another advert”. However if we do go with Justin.tv, We’ll likely be showing ads deliberately during shows “i.e. between maps, before the interviews, etc”. What you have to understand is that any money generated from these ads, will be going into a pot that will be used to help get our casters to LANs in the future.

It is much better quality also.p

This isn’t true. If you think this is the case, it is a total placebo. Both providers allow us to stream at pretty much infinite quality, the limit being what our streamers can actually broadcast from their PC’s. One annoying thing about FPS games, is that if you compare the amount of movement in a 5 second clip, with that of say an SC2 game, or a real life camera, there is a lot more. This means that you are never going to get as high quality while streaming FPS games, simply because you would need to stream at literally twice the kbps of stream just to get the same quality. We’ve got some really awesome stuff lined up here, but it’s just a problem that can’t be fixed in the forseeable future.

In fact sometimes you do not even need to watch an advert on justin tv which makes me happy.

As I said above, there’s a reason for this, and the adverts aren’t necessarily a bad thing. For those of you who are too impatient to watch adverts, Adblock should actually block most of the video adverts, but I’m telling you now the money generated from you seeing that ad is going to a good cause.

Edit: Also regarding Vods. This is going to be irrelevant very soon, as we’ll be uploading Vods of every game to youtube as soon as everything is sorted. We’ll also have a part of the site on vanillatf2 to browse the Vods when we can.

Last edited by Skyride,

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Yay to vods on youtube! Still the best way to watch something streaming yet non-realtime (and that might change soon too).

Also, get streamers with higher upload speeds? But yeah I guess it’s hard to find people that are up for directing/streaming in the first place…

Martn

Quoted from skeej

Yay to vods on youtube! Still the best way to watch something streaming yet non-realtime (and that might change soon too).

Also, get streamers with higher upload speeds? But yeah I guess it’s hard to find people that are up for directing/streaming in the first place…

Were talking about streaming high quality HD ready there skeej. You need pretty beasty interwebz to stream that.

Turbo

-ƒ$-BLAH
sniper

Quoted from Skyride

Right ok, As one of the main people involved in this decision, I’ll try to clear this up as best as I can.

Personally, I’m very seriously looking into having us move to justin.tv, however it’s for a different set of reasons to the ones people keep saying, let me demonstrate:

[…]

Justin.tv has adverts on every stream too. Infact if we go with justin.tv, we’ll probably be playing the occasional ad mid-game, as we actually get revenue from these. Infact we’ll actually be getting less money from these ads if we switch to Justin.

[…]

There is indeed a problem with the VODS on the site. TF2TV had problems with this too and we’re speaking to their contacts at own3d about this. But the site sucks? Have you actually used Justin.tv’s site lately? I’m not saying either site is great, but by comparison, own3d is definitely a lot easier to navigate.

[…]

You need to watch an advert when you load the stream on own3d. If you F5 the page or restart the stream, you need to watch an ad again. Justin.tv have some mechanism that means you don’t always get shown an advert when you F5. I’m presuming its like “if this person tuned in less than 20mins ago, don’t show another advert”. However if we do go with Justin.tv, We’ll likely be showing ads deliberately during shows “i.e. between maps, before the interviews, etc”. What you have to understand is that any money generated from these ads, will be going into a pot that will be used to help get our casters to LANs in the future.

[…]

This isn’t true. If you think this is the case, it is a total placebo. Both providers allow us to stream at pretty much infinite quality, the limit being what our streamers can actually broadcast from their PC’s. One annoying thing about FPS games, is that if you compare the amount of movement in a 5 second clip, with that of say an SC2 game, or a real life camera, there is a lot more. This means that you are never going to get as high quality while streaming FPS games, simply because you would need to stream at literally twice the kbps of stream just to get the same quality. We’ve got some really awesome stuff lined up here, but it’s just a problem that can’t be fixed in the forseeable future.

[…]

As I said above, there’s a reason for this, and the adverts aren’t necessarily a bad thing. For those of you who are too impatient to watch adverts, Adblock should actually block most of the video adverts, but I’m telling you now the money generated from you seeing that ad is going to a good cause.

Edit: Also regarding Vods. This is going to be irrelevant very soon, as we’ll be uploading Vods of every game to youtube as soon as everything is sorted. We’ll also have a part of the site on vanillatf2 to browse the Vods when we can.

+1 to youtube VODs

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Martn

[…]

Were talking about streaming high quality HD ready there skeej. You need pretty beasty interwebz to stream that.

O rly. Idk what the bitrate is currently, but 5 Mbps should be possible right? With some overhead, somebody with capability to upload @ 800 KBps should be able to manage. And that would give at least more than decent quality I think, even with constant movement. Where is the transcoding done btw? At the streaming site? Or on the pc of the streamer?

Spike Himself

TC

I wish I had 5mbits upload :(
Or 2 for that matter :(

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Get some people with 10mbit+ upload to do the actual streaming then?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »