Forum

Virtualdub codec

Created 6th November 2015 @ 16:37

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Chipius

.goy

Hey, which compression codec should I use in virtualdub to get good quality videos without having too huge files?

Last edited by Chipius,

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

x264

Phnx

xvid

stuntz

Depends on what youre using as source.

H264 is usually the best overall, also the slowest. But just run some tests like 1min or 2min runs, and see what suits you best.

Last edited by stuntz,

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Becauseof the way virtualdub works with encoders, you’ll need x264vfw: http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/

dd5f

Im using lagariths codec at the moment, will H264 look just as good with smaller file sizes?

Last edited by dd5f,

Phnx

Quoted from dd5f

Im using lagariths codec at the moment, will H264 look just as good with smaller file sizes?

you should test it out, from my experience with lagarith it destroys the quality.

ash

(Legend)
:D

isnt lagarith supposed to be lossless…?

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from Phnx

[…]
you should test it out, from my experience with lagarith it destroys the quality.

lol

And dd5f: at extremely high bitrates, lossy h264 is basically indistinguishable from source (and lossless encoding like lagarith). You’ll need way higher bitrates to achieve indistinguishability when encoding something like video game footage in comparison to live action video, because of the pixel-precise detail and geometry that is rendered by a 3D engine compared to real life, where everything is less sharply defined and inherently “fuzzy” (also lens distortion etc).

It all depends on which goal you have with the footage. But yeah, for TF2 1080p 60fps try 2 pass encoding at a relatively high quality quantifier setting if you want as little visual lossiness as possible whilst still ending up with an acceptable filesize.

Last edited by skeej,

Add A Reply Pages: 1