Forum

Koth Sandstone (6v6)

Created 23rd September 2014 @ 05:33

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Fantasmos

I was told that this would be a fantastic place to tell comp about my map. So far it’s been very well received, and i’m hoping to make it popular for 6v6’s. I need as much feedback as possible though and i’m hoping you guys can help with that by playtesting and posting feedback

Here’s the thread on teamfortress.tv for it:
http://teamfortress.tv/thread/16114/koth-sandstone

Here’s an imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/FWCI6

Here’s the download https://www.dropbox.com/s/9650y2wdq4uql3p/koth_sandstone_pro_b7c.bsp?dl=0

SorroW

iveR
VDOH

10/10 would play

Fantasmos

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1n3gov512mn982a/koth_sandstone_pro_b7c.bsp.bz2?dl=0
Here is the compressed version of the map for quicker download

LaMqTa

fenneks

We have added it to TF2Pickup.net. But its not in the default mappool so, if anyone is interested in playing this map, write in chat that you want it and if admin is active he will change it! :)

Arthur

WM

I really like this map, it is certainly more fun for medic, mostly because it is much harder than viaduct to spam, bomb and snipe the med when he is holding back (but possibly a little more flankable)

Now, on with the critisims

– Snipers –

The sniper deck near spawn I think should be removed, because if you put a sniper there, there is nothing the other team can do apart from run counter sniper, or not walk on point. Viaduct you can counter a sniper with spam, or jumping him, or flanking him, with general aggressive plays. With that deck there is pretty much no way to get to him.

There is also a sniper line through what I call alter room (far right from reds perspective, opposite to cave) that just shuts down right side at no risk to the sniper and he can so easily also see point and right-side from there.

– Clipping –

I love the ramp slides on right side (reds perspective), don’t remove any of them, the smaller ramp however nearest spawn has rather allot of things to catch your self on, especially if you want to ramp slide into mid (which is fun), could do with smoothing.

Similarly in the building’s on either side with the square hatch facing mid, it is far to easy to get caught on the upright pillars, way to often I was trying to back out of there as medic hugging a wall and would get caught on a 3mm strip where the pillar sticks out, an invis smooth wall would fix this.

– General –

Generally I would like to see the map opened up just a little, it is generally impossible to jump the medic when he is holding back.

I also suggest seeing this played on tf2pickup, and taking note of what spaces are used and what spaces are redundant, It seems to be like the far left route into cave (reds perspective) is largely unused in 6v6 except by scouts going a very long way round flank (easier to just jump up cliff). Also the far spawn door next to the sniper deck seems redundant too apart from making that even safer for a sniper.

But as i said in general I really like this map for 6v6, but it needs to be have a few dozen games of it played to see how it does

Arthur

WM

If any of that wall-a-text you don’t understand btw, just ask me.

ash

(Legend)
:D

From a swift glance at it, the map looks incredibly cluttered, perhaps clean up and open up the whole thing a bit (without making it cp_bombthemedic, mind you).

Fantasmos

Here is b8, a small update to fix some of the more prominent problems, a lot more changes are coming soon to help with demoman spam and the map feeling closed.

Here they are:

Upgraded mini-health in cave to medium health
Made barrier near balcony twice as high
Made balcony easier to jump onto
Added new path into houes
Blocked the balcony close to spawn off

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b72m6d7xx7qo6al/koth_sandstone_pro_b8.bsp.bz2?dl=0

SorroW

iveR
VDOH

played a pickup on it, altho the teams werent balanced at all, i enjoyed it for the most part.
the map feels too cluttered, specialy at middle, the elevated wood ramp – i dont like it, it makes bombing the medic far too easy since you cant really be seen, maybe replace it with something, or just remove it completely, idk.

CapricorN

YH

Quoted from SorroW

played a pickup on it, altho the teams werent balanced at all, i enjoyed it for the most part.
the map feels too cluttered, specialy at middle, the elevated wood ramp – i dont like it, it makes bombing the medic far too easy since you cant really be seen, maybe replace it with something, or just remove it completely, idk.

i agree with the middle being dense

Nimrod

the map looks amazing

Last edited by Nimrod,

selsper

Look’s great. Really nice effort put into it, looking forward to play it. Even though I generally hate koth… such a BLAHGHH mode imo

SorroW

iveR
VDOH

perhaps remove the pillars on the point, i dont think they really serve anything except for them being pretty… they dont serve for cover since they are too small and thin, all they do is be pretty and clutter the point :D

the wooden ramp highground thing still needs to be changed tho

Arthur

WM

Not convinced I like the new heightened panels to brake the sniper sight-line, mainly because it makes it much much harder to ramp slide up that ramp and going into mid (which was super fun, but not overpowered).

I seems allot of people want the map opened up a little, I personally don’t think it’s as cluttered as it looks when you first get on the map. However If I was to choose where to open it up, it would be where the wooden ramp on the side of point is up against the wall. That could be opened up into “alter room” behind it, because at the moment, no-one really used alter room at all.

Another possible place is where cliff and the entrances to cave are. Rather than having two entry points to cave on both sides, and one on point. Have one big entrance to cave with the cliff running into it to open that side up.

Only other little thing is a fair bit of the rubble on the ground is a bit easy to get caught on.

All the other changes this update I really like though :)

Keep it up, it’s not far off it really isn’t

Fantasmos

Really enjoying all this feedback, keep posting guys! Definitely taking it into consideration with the major one being whether to keep the pillars on the point

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »