Forum

cp_antiquity_RC1

Created 6th February 2011 @ 17:37

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

EArkham

Heyas! :)

Antiquity is a 5-point Capture Point map (ala cp_badlands, cp_fastlane, etc) blending spytech with Cambodian ruins.

Current version: RC1 Download

Screenshots:

CP3
CP2/4
Overhead(large 700kb+ png)

It’s a new theme, so the download is fairly large (~30MB as bz2) due to custom content.

Versions of the map have been in various tf2maps.net playtests and had a positive response, but I wanted some thoughts from more competitive minded folk. I kept soldiers, scouts & demomen in mind when designing it. As of B5, vanilla heavy takes 28 seconds to reach mid (same as cp_badlands). While I’d love to hear what would make it better for 6v6, I’m more interested in how it plays for highlander. As of RC1, cap times have finally been corrected to what they always were supposed to be.

Cap times:
Mid – 24 sec
2/4 – 12 sec
1/5 – 4 sec

Feedback here or in one of these threads more than welcome:

TF2Maps Thread
SPUF Thread

Thanks for any thoughts,

Kep

Last edited by EArkham,

freakz

[8U]

Seems quite interesting tbh, MNM for this?

Cloud

.wldcrd!

I love the style, so much. Inca theme ftw

Anyway, looks good, get testing it

Blooddrunk

Nein

Love the style, too.

Looks good. I’m going to test it.

EArkham

Thanks. I’m a little nervous about the feedback since I figure competitive players have high standards on what’s playable and what’s crap. :)

Oh, and if it’s possible to record a demo, please do so. The demos from tf2maps have been extremely helpful in pinpointing problem areas.

Kep

Orchid

|=3

somebody post a video of this map, i can never understand whats going on in screenshots / am too lazy to dl it
@ OP – if you really want the map to be played comp., you`ll prolly have to edit it quite a bit, cus i havent seen any custom maps being good for comp right away at their release (scratch those which are being played in their beta staged)

Last edited by Orchid,

Vince

BiG

The layout is missing a bit imo, 5 large areas, connected by small corridors, so it will probably play quite dull. I think it’s comparable to obscure, but with the problems being worse. I’d predict it being insanely hard to push those large areas.

Snipers will also have a field day.

I think there might be too many routes around last, but that might just me not knowing what connects where when running around.

tasKu

e-famous

looks fucking sexy

LETIshNick

eehq

Man, that’s quite interesting!

M0re

Looks quite original. If you’re using IRC I recommend that you visit #gather.fi @ Quakenet and contact one of the admins for playtesting in finnish pickups. We’ve play tested lots of maps there and instant feedback is more than guaranteed :).

tarmo-

<3 Fruit

Quoted from M0re

Looks quite original. If you’re using IRC I recommend that you visit #gather.fi @ Quakenet and contact one of the admins for playtesting in finnish pickups. We’ve play tested lots of maps there and instant feedback is more than guaranteed :).

map has been there since yesterday

choiie

keso

s9 pls kthxbai

EDIT: Had a runthrough, can’t see why this wouldnt work out in comp – all areas are really fresh and youve done a lot of creative work with height advantages and interesting combat possibilities. The only area which I dont like is the HUGE open area that’s to the right if you’re pushing mid from 2nd. It just feels really oversized and empty, and with all the space that’s available I bet you could do something more interesting with that entire side of the 2nd-mid connector.

Last edited by choiie,

M0re

Quoted from tarmo-

[…]

map has been there since yesterday

Didnt know that, I was just trying to be helpfull.

XorZ

[8U]
[8U]

The theme looks awesome, gonna take a look at the actual map later today.

EArkham

Thanks for the comments. :)

I admit I’m not happy with the large side area. It’s not fully detailed (basically just a box with some displacements & trees on one side), but that’s mostly because I’m expecting to change it significantly. What I’ll probably do is tighten it up, make it 2/3 or 1/2 the size it is, with an interesting view into the skybox. Not fully decided yet; I recently made some changes to CP2/4 from B2->B3 so I’d like to see how that affects gameplay before I tweak further.

My original goal with that room was to give scouts a place to manuever, but it’s not working out well for that.

So far, snipers have not dominated the gameplay. They’re great for CP2/4, but lose some viabilty at mid and last due to flanking routes. I think fixing the large side room will also help with sniper lines at CP2/4 however.

Last point probably does have too many routes in. Last version, there was a one-way door on the upper ground at last that attackers could not use (meaning one major path with split entries and one minor path with split entries to last). A common complaint was that CP1/5 was too easy to defend due to the big height disadvantage so I removed the one-way door. That means there are now three paths, but since two of them split it gives a total of five entrances for defenders to watch which is a little too many. What I’ll probably do is seal up that extra entrance on the ground floor directly in front of the last point. I wanted to see how it’d play first before I do that though.

Kep

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »