Forum

Turbine "exploit" - Should this be banned in ETF2L?

Created 21st September 2008 @ 01:10

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Vali

-9w-

Ok so I accidentally discovered this on turbine tonight trying to sap some random guy’s sentry. It turns out that special clipping in the tunnel allows any class to jump up to the raised platform with the medium health pack as seen in this video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7O6gKAM4Lvs

Further inspection done by Inexistence in Hammer shows that the clipping seems intentionally placed by the map developer http://www.monkeysex.info/Inexistence/Screenshots/turbineledge.JPG since the clipping seems quite out of place and otherwise unneccesarily there.

The main question is should this be banned in ETF2L? It certainly provides more interesting strategies for both attack and defence that are only possible currently with an engie, and thus incredibly impractical on offence. While the clipping does allow you to slide up what is textured as “thin air”, the hammer screenshot shows that it seems intentionally placed. Map exploit or clever strategising? I’m sure the admins would love to hear your opinions on the matter.

Fenrir

Well what i would say, it should be banned, cause first of all unseen texture = seems to me we play tf2 not some ut3, prolly map developer made a small cheat to him self, and fforgot to take it away before map have been released as official, as usual good work by Valve ><
Second, to pass that hallway takes a good team work, and if the defending team will have some medic or engie in there will be much more harder, i think .. Well my opinion it should be banned ..

F2

Danmark

Allow it. It’s not super easy to do that jump so you can’t be sure to do it every time anyway. If you go for it, you might get killed in the process.

Inexistence

Üb

An engie can get up there with a teleporter easily enough anyway.

I think that allowing this would be a good idea, due to the fact that controlling that point isn’t as essential as I think it should be. The health is ignored by the vast majority of players, since they can’t reach it unless scout, soldier or demo. It will make controlling that hallway much more imperative than if it weren’t allowed. If you’re defending and your team controls the health, it helps for defence, but if you’re attacking and control the health, it benefits also. So if you control the health, you’re more likely to succeed in your objective.

I think it’ll add new strategy to the map and introduce a need for dominance over more than just the middle point in the map.

AnAkkk

I think this should be allowed, this is part of the map, and shouldn’t be considered a bug/exploit.

kEvNx

.#mtf

#agree
Anakin says the right :P allow it

rts

farm!
it's a farm

allow it, because it’s available on both sides, so every team has still the same options/chances.

frooker

It took me quite some efforts to get up there with a demoman. Therefore I’d never take the risk of not getting up while enemies are arround.

Wlv

RaWr ::

As rts says, as its use-able for both red and blue, allow it :)

agron

Relic

say etf2l bans that.

a demo spams nades around the corner to the ledge, blindly. A medic gets blasted up to the ledge. The demo comes around the corner, sees the medic up there, writes “gg you cheat, default win for us” and leaves the server. After some demo viewing the match is rescheduled. Everyone feels silly and lols alot.
_____

yeah really stupid example which has a little relevance in “real life”.

the point still remains: if an invisible wall texture allows you to climb to an area of the map where every class can already get up to using various means or just by sheer luck, it should be allowed.

Banning that invisible ledge is silly. OTH if it “bothers the community” just contact the map designer and suggest it should be removed or made a visible texture in the next update.

RobbaZ

[FADER]

Allow imo

Waebi

‹Con›

i foresee drama OR a ctf_pro_turbine. haha.
edit: allow.

Depch

allow

AnimaL

It should be banned…

btw agron, thats just nonsence to quit in midgame

agron

Relic

to quote myself:
“yeah really stupid example which has a little relevance in “real life”.”

it was an exaggerated example of the sillyness that might follow if something as trivial as an invisible texture (that allows an _alternative_ passage to a ledge) is banned.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »