Forum

Attitudes/Whatever....

Created 24th November 2009 @ 22:31

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 Next »

Waster

Fixed maps, ok. With new maps, not ok. Earlier, there were one day cups to test the new maps. Dont think it is good to just add them to the mappool. And while i dont really like well, so when its removed from the mappool i wouldnt cry about it. But i want to note that its still better as most of the customs made today (fastlane, yukon etc.)

tarmo-

<3 Fruit

Fixed maps, ok. With new maps, not ok. Earlier, there were one day cups to test the new maps. Dont think it is good to just add them to the mappool. And while i dont really like well, so when its removed from the mappool i wouldnt cry about it. But i want to note that its still better as most of the customs made today (fastlane, yukon etc.)

Whats wrong with new maps? Are you closeminded or something? When it is fixed, people will train the map and actually find some good maps from the new ones! It really isn’t good for TF2 if we just have 2/3 (badla, grana, gravel) proper maps to play on… Fixed new maps, im voting yes for them. If you aren’t up for change map-wise, as new maps need new tactics, you shouldn’t play the game.

Waster

Whats wrong with new maps?

If they are good, nothing wrong with them. But it turns out that most of them are crap. Just read my post a page ago.

Santa*G

Not sure if this has been covered already but the only time I don’t want to play a map is if I’ve another map in mind, with regard to it being scheduled as an upcoming official map that requires practice.

BERSERKER

broder
PRO

You want some?

Yukon is a map with no flanks. The flank between second and middle point is so narrow thats almost impossible to dodge a nade, let alone rocket splash damage. The other ways between two and middle are as fast, as wide and come in the same hightlevel, so not giving any new opportunities. And why hate fastlane and love yukon? Both are defensive maps dominated by a good sniper. Like fastlane, yukon isnt supporting good teamplay at all.

I already said that obscure is a minor improvent over fastlane, because the connection between the first and second point is a bit better. But for the rest its like fastlane. It only exist out squared battleareas, with no heightdifferences, with a capture point in it, and two or three exits (connected with some little buildings) to the next battlearea. Really no creativity involved. So weaknesses are no flanks, no heightdifferences and very linear.

And now the worst map – follower – which is a copy of granlands. Vilepickle did a good job in creating castle maps, which are very wide, so there is even enough room for some interesting battle on a public server. But with this map he completely missed the point. Copying the bad things of both maps. Fun things on granary is the middle with the crates, however the chokepoint between cp two and middle is horrible. Badlands most interesting point however is the spire. Instead of making a map with a spire and some crates in the middle, he made a boring middle with trains, a heavy chokepoint and spoiled the second point. What makes the second point on granary crucial is the garage. On granary it gives the attackers opportunities to flank both from top and bottom. And due to the design of granary, when the medic and other classes wants to defend from top, they have to make some consessions, while on follower there are even two simple stairs to go to top.

I dont think a lot of people have a clue whats a fun map if they even dare to mention dustbowl and goldrush. The gates in dustbowl are so narrow that its impossible for a spy or scout to pass an enemy. Goldrush is even worse where on stage two and three are only one or two exits to attack the enemy. The first stage on goldrush is interesting to play. However the most interesting payload in the mappool is removed. Badwater is open, has a lot of flanks, opportunities to attack, height differences and it is not linear at all. Suitable for a lot of classes. Worst decision ever to remove such maps from the mappool, but maps as fastlane are still there.

I love how you tell a lot of people they don’t know what a fun map is. What’s “fun” isn’t what’s fun for you, it’s what’s fun for the majority.

While I do understand your sentiments regarding the two first map, a lack of an element does not equate to a removal of tactical potential nor fun. I disagree with your analysis of fastlane, as there are enough obstacles to not make a sniper as dominant, and same goes for middle as you have to expose yourself more as a sniper than on fastlane.

However, while criticism will make maps get better, I do think I can safely say most people have a far more informed opinion of fastlane than yukon, as yukon has not been played in any leagues, and therefore I don’t think it’s been judged with enough experience rather than just shallow first-impressions.

Additionally, your criticism of follower is your personal opinion, not a major map flaw. I, for instance, disagree with you, as I prefer badlands middle over granary middle, and I do not mind any of the ‘flaws’ you listed on cp2, so presenting them as universal errors is a bit ridiculous. Additionally I think follower is decent namely BECAUSE it is so similar to already known maps. It makes the flow of it more intuitive, while still providing a change of scenery and makes it a bit more fresh while not being completely alien.

Your whole demeanor reeks of elitism and arrogance, as you firmly believe your opinion to be law and truly right, and in addition you impose this on everyone as if it was true for, well, everyone. If 90% of people think goldrush and dustbowl are fun maps, you say ‘well, 90% of people don’t know what a fun map is.’ I don’t believe there is any point in debating further, as we obviously disagree. I don’t mind to disagree, but I do mind that you don’t think I just disagree, but that I am wrong, and you should learn to broaden your view and be a bit less subjective.

Ijantis

^thought you quit?

dauk

wireplay had yukon and i didin’t like that :C

iQue

keso

wireplay had yukon and i didin’t like that :C

:D

Yukon is great fun, I was disappoint when it wasn’t picked for S6 :<

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Wireplay showed that any fight around 2nd point is boring as fuck on yukon.

kaidus

WiK?

Your whole demeanor reeks of elitism and arrogance, as you firmly believe your opinion to be law and truly right, and in addition you impose this on everyone as if it was true for, well, everyone. If 90% of people think goldrush and dustbowl are fun maps, you say ‘well, 90% of people don’t know what a fun map is.’ I don’t believe there is any point in debating further, as we obviously disagree. I don’t mind to disagree, but I do mind that you don’t think I just disagree, but that I am wrong, and you should learn to broaden your view and be a bit less subjective.

Are you aware that you basically just described yourself? :D

Waster

^^

You have an opinion, i disagree. You want some reasoning, i give you them. So i dont know whats the point of your post.

And about dustbowl and goldrush. Try to play more as two games on those maps. If you thought it was a fun map i highly doubt you still think it is fun after an hour (maps with three stages takes hours…) mindless spamming.

Last edited by Waster,

And about dustbowl and goldrush. Try to play more as two games on those maps. If you thought it was a fun map i highly doubt you still think it is fun after an hour (maps with three stages takes hours…) mindless spamming.

Did it occur to you that people may be stating their opinion after having sufficient reason (say, experience of the map) to do so?

Randdalf

(0v0)

Wireplay showed that any fight around 2nd point is boring as fuck on yukon.

Not as bad as Well.

RaCio

GoT²

Just FYI guys, I have a fixed maps proposal (for D1 and D2), in which Fastlane and Well do not feature, up in the admin forums and it’s been up for about a week now.

And we will talk about all the divs as well, obviously.

So these kinds of things are being discussed. :)

We decided to consider fixed maps for s7 a while ago. Anyway, What I’m interested in is how lower divisions(3-6) see the idea of fixed maps. I would like to know if teams prefer the fun aspect of map picks or the variety of core maps and synchronized PCW maps that a fixed map system brings.

Last edited by RaCio,

jason

PHX

I’d definitely +1 for fixed maps.

It makes the playing field nice and level and you’d be able to pick up pcw’s on those maps easily.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 Next »