Forum

ETF2L Public Server?

Created 20th May 2009 @ 11:36

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Next »

gryzor

Sure, let’s begin by reading day’s post regarding a server. It should be located in central europe, have excellent connection, allow an account etf2l-staff with proper knowledge can implement the system on, have a proven track record so we know it won’t be some crazy person who just pulls the plug one day (or abuses the account being on his/her box).

Considering reading steam-ids would require access to our database, this has to be moved off-site from the current ETF2L.org-machine via an read-only account and polled/replicated every night. This also means we need a bunch of software installed for various reasons — having a dedicated slice with administrative privileges (root) on a powerful ESX-machine in a corporate environment (or similar) seems proper, a simple “gameserver” will not do due to this demand.

So, who will be willing to devote all this awesome bandwidth, cpu-time and the proof of previous stable operations to us for free? I’m sure I could put a few FREE hours of work into it to get it working properly and worthy of the ETF2L-stamp, as long as the necessary FREE resources are available.

So, what we end up with is NOT the need to, quote, “pressure on the admins”, but rather the above.

David

So, what we end up with is NOT the need to, quote, “pressure on the admins”, but rather the above.

Honestly, which douche would say that

Netsky

uhm mtf is setting up an public server, still “under construction” but working fine atm.

it’s located in germany.
I will check if we could change it as you guys would like.

Norrland3000

Gryzor?

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Ask Brainstorm I would say. GoT public 2 isn’t very popular (most of the people play @ #1, and #2 is usually just filled with total strangers), and this might put it to good use.

Track record? Excellent, I think the server has rarely been down since the beta.

David

Gryzor?

Yes, that… bastard

gryzor

Yes, that… bastard

And what, exactly, is wrong with it? It was stated that the need to “put pressure on admins” was required. I tried to explain in an almost TL:DR way why this was not so, to make it crystal clear and impossible to misinterpret what exactly was needed.

mulk

+57

David

Gryzor?

Yes, that… bastard

My joke was fail ;(

DarK.

I’d donate a few pounds.

Just stick a pw on it, who cares if a couple of noobs find it.

Jones

This could be a good opportunity for a sponsor to jump on board. If they host the official etf2l public server, new and existing clans might be interested in their services. Although this won’t directly help sponsor the league, it’ll improve the etf2l brand and possibly help attract future sponsors.

With the amount of hits this etf2l site gets a day, offering multiplay (FOR EXAMPLE) an advertisement space in exchange for a 24 man server seems like a good deal.

It couldn’t do any harm?

for science

Yeah sounds like a good idea that.

If you need anything in sourcemod or anything else coded up I’ll offer my services for that for free :D

Nigh

¿
TF2.ro

as i remember, ESL used Zblock

Brainstorm

GoT4

Koeitje asked me to take a look here, pretty interesting thread. I’ve been hosting a dedicated TF2 box since the beta and there’d be room for such a gameserver. It’s a quadcore Xeon, currently running one public 24 slot and two private warservers, mostly used for matches/PCW/mixes. And idling, since the last update :P

Since it’s a dedicated box there are few limits. Shell access for admins and member database replication is no problem, the public server already synchonizes steam ids with our clan website. Plugins such as Sourcemod, metamod, sourcebans, etc are no problem, nothing new there. Same goes for scripting, sourcetv, http fastdownload, archiving of demo files and whatnot.

A dedicated CPU core would be available, the entire machine can do 2.5 TB of traffic/month and currently only 20-25% of that is used. Hosting the server would be free of course, donations are welcome but always optional. Server is located in the Netherlands by the way.

Track record should be no problem, it’s been around since the beta and has seen its fair share of users/matches. The warservers are used by http://etf2l.org/teams/172/ among others.

http://www.teamfortress.be/ for clan info and http://www.teamfortress.be/servers for server info.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Brainstorm is the bestest guys!!11

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Next »