Forum

"Some week 3 fixtures were wrong"

Created 15th February 2015 @ 11:11

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

ducky

Quoted from b0nes

well i told ppl they didnt need to be here tonight when the fixture was made at midnight, and now our games been moved with 12 hours notice to tonight, mistake after mistake with how the seasons run

We aknowledge that some of the matches (re-)scheduled for today might be suboptimal for some teams since they were on a rather short notice, even if all of them were set to this default date based off of the availability that was presented by the teams.

It’s a compromise that had to be made in order to guarantee that every match is taken into account when seeding a week.
Ignoring some results would render the swiss system useless balance wise in the long run, because your performance as a team might’ve been ignored when matching you against opponents who are presumably on the same skill level as you are.

This is the first season ever where etf2l has decided to use the swiss system.
See it as some sort of “beta”. We can’t all be perfect like you , mistakes happen.

We’re working on improvements to various aspects of the league to avoid mishaps like this in the future.

Quoted from Shabbaman

[…]

In that case, skip the availability crap and let me schedule my own matches. I’ve never had to put up with wrong default dates under the old system. If it doesn’t work, don’t use it.

It works perfectly fine. I think there’s a misunderstanding here:

I had the notion that you thought that available times were being ignored when deciding default dates,which isn’t the case.

What ash was referring to was the intial matching of the teams against each other.
We don’t match teams against each other based off of their availability, that’d be a slap in the face of logic when applied on the swiss system.

You’re matched against another team based off of the points you have on our tables. This is a feature of the swiss system that tries to generate balanced matchups,you might’ve heard of it.

The default date is then decided automatically (or in some cases manually) by looking at the availability provided by the teams.

Shabbaman

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from ducky

I had the notion that you thought that available times were being ignored when deciding default dates,which isn’t the case.

And I repeat, I’ve never had to put up with wrong default dates under the old system. In 18 whole seasons. By setting a default date before I can negotiate with my opponent you’re taking away the possibility to come up with an agreeable date for both of us. Now you’ve set a default date for the only date the opponent will agree on, since it’s their preferred date. This might work perfectly for teams who can guarantee to be there for three days a whole week in advance, but it doesn’t for teams who can’t.

schocky

ist doof

Quoted from ducky

[…]

A compromise had to be made, after all your time window begins at 20:45 CET and dude nice’s time window ends at 20:00 CET.
Adding to that you have a total of 15 mins after the match was scheduled to start to be ready and play it, don’t tell me that having to play 8 mins earlier is going to majorly affect you in any way.

Besides, you can always ask your opponents to reschedule :D

TL;DR:
If you don’t like getting suboptimal default dates go ahead and extend your availability from now on.

What about to find an opponent who wants to play an offi between 20:45 – 21:15 like the previous opponents? :x but yea, sometimes there is no other way, can understand that. I am sure we and our opponent can find a solution :)

NeuTronas

Quoted from schocky

[…]

What about to find an opponent who wants to play an offi between 20:45 – 21:15 like the previous opponents? :x but yea, sometimes there is no other way, can understand that. I am sure we and our opponent can find a solution :)

Your default time is just amazing 20:22 :D
Why the hell it’s 22 minutes? xD

ducky

Quoted from Shabbaman

[…]

And I repeat, I’ve never had to put up with wrong default dates under the old system. In 18 whole seasons.

The previous default date system was done 100% manually.

Telling us that you were getting “perfect” default dates for the past 18 seasons is a load of bull and you know it.

I mean we’re good,but not that good.

By setting a default date before I can negotiate with my opponent you’re taking away the possibility to come up with an agreeable date for both of us. Now you’ve set a default date for the only date the opponent will agree on, since it’s their preferred date.

Coming up with “an agreeable date for both of us” is now done automatically by checking for overlapping days/times.

If your days/times don’t overlap with your opponents’ then obviously they don’t have a preferred day that suits your schedule.

The negotiation part hasn’t been taken away.

You can still negotiate with your opponents about potentially rescheduling to a date that you deem more suitable, the only difference is that now you’ll know immediately which date the official will have to be played on in case you aren’t able to get your opponents to accept your proposals.

This might work perfectly for teams who can guarantee to be there for three days a whole week in advance, but it doesn’t for teams who can’t.

Not being able to pin down your availability for a mere 5 days in advance is clearly not an issue that we’re obliged to have a solution for.

If you’re that unorganized it’s your fault, not ours.

schocky

ist doof

Quoted from NeuTronas

[…]

11:11 cet would be amazing

Shabbaman

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from ducky

[…]

The previous default date system was done 100% manually.

Telling us that you were getting “perfect” default dates for the past 18 seasons is a load of bull and you know it.

I mean we’re good,but not that good.

A load of bull? You’re saying this specifically to piss me off? I put a lot of work in scheduling, and I made sure I got good default dates when it got to that. It might be more work, but at least it got me matches on days I could play on.

ducky

Quoted from NeuTronas

[…]

Dude nice time window ends at 20:00 CET

Lemmings time window starts at 20:45 CET

20:22 is the resulting compromise.

Dude nice gets an extra minute in their favor because Lemmings are sandbagging Kappa.

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Just a note that default dates shouldn’t be set to anything outside time windows of 5 minutes (20:00, 20:05, 20:10, 20:15 etc). We’ll look into that.

That’s a good example of why there have been issues. This is a new system and a new backend, of course there will be bugs and errors with both the backend and the frontend controlled by admins. New things crop up which we haven’t had problems with in Week 1 and 2. The problem with a time being set to 20:22 (or something similarly stupid) has not happened until now. Until we have had a full season I wouldn’t expect things to run smoothly.

There is also room for feedback for next season, we like to think the scheduling system is great and we haven’t had many complaints yet but we’ll of course take any feedback into consideration for Highlander Season 8/6v6 Season 21.

Menty

SVIFT
Nein

Quoted from ducky

[…]

Dude nice time window ends at 20:00 CET

Lemmings time window starts at 20:45 CET

20:22 is the resulting compromise.

Dude nice gets an extra minute in their favor because Lemmings are sandbagging Kappa.

ADMIN ABUSE

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

It’s a little hiccup that’s to be expected when running this system for the first time. I think it’s far better than the previous system.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2