Forum

CUP IDEA: An open whitelist, team chosen maps and no classlimits cup.

Created 9th October 2014 @ 01:25

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

ash

(Legend)
:D

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

It’s not a difference then is it

I imagine he wanted to say “the difference to DOTA & CSGO”. But I am sure you figured that yourself. ;)

T0m

(ETF2L Donator)

i think we should go back to 2 demos and every week should be dustbowl and well

Kengur

6 engi wrangled lvl3 would be really fun to watch. Or 3 demos with 3 medics with quick fix <- you can really make a nice mode and call it Pinball Fortress or something. Well… you get the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cm2iFmASBc

Last edited by Kengur,

Quoted from Arthur

[…]

Maybe I over emphasized the point about support from valve. The point was more than most tf2 players don’t like 6v6 (and hence valve can’t support it). The main reason for that is there are too many arbitrary or confusing restrictions to be learnt. You can’t just get 6 mates together and play 6v6, you have to play certain classes, learn “the” rollouts and “the” positioning, etc. It’s alientating for so many people who might otherwise get into it.

This right here is 100%, word for word, literally, actually, totally, exactly, indubitably what is wrong with games and game developement nowadays and I hate you and your idea.

Video games shouldn’t appeal to everyone and shouldn’t be dumbed down to an average to get a wider playerbase. That would be my campaign if I were running to be the president of the united states of video games.

PS. I don’t actually hate you XOXOXO.

hr

Quoted from Tommy Testosterone

[…]
This right here is 100%, word for word, literally, actually, totally, exactly, indubitably what is wrong with games and game developement nowadays and I hate you and your idea.

I agree and even with the most simple game a new player will still have to put a lot of time in to be competitive even in pubs. I started with my first FPS as TF2 on console for example and when I came to PC it was very off-putting to have to use a keyboard and mouse.
The problem is that it’s obscure (i.e not built into the game/seen in pubs) rather than too hard to get into.

Last edited by hr,

ondkaja

IKEA

please don’t ruin tf2

Spreijer

CONCORDIA

Isn’t this basically a pub with mp_tournament 1?

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Arthur I love the enthusiasm, apply it and use it to make things happen. ETF2L will never run a cup like you’re suggesting, if you want to do it, try it but do it yourself, only way ideas become reality is with hard work and determination to fuck the nay sayers. However be realistic in what you can achieve.

That said, most competitive players will not take this idea. Good luck.

Last edited by Hildreth,

cmd

(ETF2L Donator)
LEGO

Quoted from Sonny Black

LOTS
OF
TEXT

This is as true as it gets
Stop saying that we’re the problem, that we’re too different from pubs and we need to adapt to ease the skill curve. What viable game doesn’t have this skill curve? Valve should have adopted 6v6 as their own gamemode, with the classlimits and weapon bans as we know them instead of alienating it. That way newcomers would be instantly introduced into the competitive side of the game and go through the same process as everyone else goes through with dota/cs/whatever, get good.
To be fair though, running tf2 like they are now is most likely equally or much more beneficial to them, and at the time “esports” wasn’t really a good market to start investing in, which is all completely understandable.

san alex

Quoted from fraac

If someone doesn’t understand how beautiful you are, you don’t change yourself to please them. Nobody at Valve currently likes 6v6 and that’s fine.

What? Deep Shit

Selek

Dr. med.

Very good points made until now.

I would like to add that TF2 was designed for 12v12 play. When you reduce the player count to 6v6, the gameplay will inevitably change.

Highlander imposes the class limit of 1 and makes a reasonable compromise this way, IMHO. If you lower the player count further, which can be desirable for easier organisation of a team and teamplay, you will have to adjust game rules to make it work and fun (Demo and Medic limit 1, no Jarate, GRU and Wrangler etc).

screwb

If pub rules where viable then we would be using them. We don’t and for damn good reason. If Valve wants 6v6 to be more like pubs then they need to work on improving pubs not us degrading comp.

Quoted from Selek

I would like to add that TF2 was designed for 12v12 play. When you reduce the player count to 6v6, the gameplay will inevitably change.

The game’s core was built and balanced around 8v8 (please refer to the TF2 beta). The game is not balanced in 12v12. The only reasons pubs are not a even bigger stalemate shit fest then they already are is because more than 1/2 the team is useless cannon fodder. Kind of defeats the purpose of having 12 people if 8 of them are standing around doing nothing.

Last edited by screwb,

Forsak3n

S

why isnt there 9v9 matchmaking then?

Last edited by Forsak3n,

Phnx

Quoted from Forsak3n

ducky

Quoted from Forsak3n

there were some rumours around a year ago that valve was going to implement a HL matchmaking system into the game

well…as you can see it’s just rumours after all

they certainly have the means to do it (just look at MVM,that stuff has some sort of matchmaking) but my guess is that ,to them, it’s just not worth it.

it would require additional effort balancing the game (e.g. what most leagues do by having a whitelist and certain server-configs),maintaining the service,marketing TF2 as a comp alternative etc. pp. and for what profit exactly?

even if making money didn’t play a role in this (and trust me it does) TF2,by default, just isn’t designed to be a competitive game.

just look at it: people running around with silly hats and goofy accessories playing funny characters with ridiculous weapons…it’s made for a casual audience,meant to be played on pubs.

the only built-in part of the game that comes close to being a comp mode is “arena” and let’s be honest, nobody f*cking plays that sh*t.

of course you can have an equal amount ,or even more, fun playing it in a comp setting but that’s up to everyone individually.

maybe if you look at 6v6/HL as a “comp-mod” to the default game it will become more clear why valve doesn’t bother with it at all.

it would be like adding matchmaking for surf,prop-hunt or randomizer

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 Next »